WnSoft Forums

Zoom value doesn't change when zooming with ALT + mouse movement?

hamsterboy

After a long search I concluded PTE would suit me, so I'm testing some stuff right now. I've got lots of photos, so stuff like applying templates is gold for me. Luckily PTE offers me lots of options in that regard.

One thing that bugged me is that when I use the (undocumented?) zooming feature of pictures in the Objects and Animations window by holding Alt and moving the mouse up or down, the Zoom values in the Animation stays at 100,000. When I change those values from those fields I can achieve the same zoom results, but it's less handy to get the ideal zoom amount quickly, especially when combining it with moving the picture around with the mouse.

The problem with the Zoom value not changing is that this makes it impossible to exactly reproduce on another slide, unless I copy/paste that picture and work from there. Or unless I make the slide settings into a Slide Style, but that's not always desirable. Also, the 'Cover Screen' option will not fill the image to the screen anymore after having been resized with Alt+Mouse - because PTE thinks it's still 100%.

Is this a bug or am I overlooking something?

I have found some other minor annoyances and even a bug I think, but I'm not even a customer yet so can't complain much. :P But things like this can make a huge time difference when making slideshows with lots of pictures.

"One thing that bugged me is that when I use the (undocumented?) zooming feature......."

http://docs.picturestoexe.com/en/hotkeys/main

The reason that the Zoom Value stays at 100% is that you are not Zooming in the strictest sense - you are altering the Pan Z Parameter. i.e. you are moving the object closer or further away in 3D space at the same 100% Zoom value.

Ditto the Cover Screen "Problem".

See the Animation Tab / 3D Button.

DG

I'm a bit confused about what you're trying to do. The default zoom is 100% which is represented by 100.000 meaning 100% which can be either increased or decreased by entering a value manually, copy/paste a value or clicking on the small up or down black arrows located within the blue colored tiny window. You can also place the mouse cursor over either of these arrows and hold it down and the zoom values will either increase (up arrow) or decrease (down arrow) as quickly as mouse interrupt signals are received.

There is a small square box between the two 100.000 values. At default the right and left 100.000 values increase or decrease simultaneously. The default shows this tiny box as a "window." Clicking on this window will change the appearance to that of a "button" and this will separate the values so that they may be set independently. When this happens, the zoom becomes "non-linear" in that you may "stretch" or "squash" the appearance of the image.

In order to manually change the size of the image you need to first change the view (top center of your screen to the viewer's left of the close button) to something less than 100%. As an example, choose 25% and then you will see a green bounding rectangle with eight tiny black "squares." You can place your cursor over any of these then hold down the left mouse button and "drag" which will continually resize the image as you drag. If you hold down the keyboard shift key as you click then drag, the non-linear mode will be automatically actuated.

If you wish to set things back to the default, then type in 100 to either side of the value then click the center button to return it to a "window." Next enter zero in each of the two boxes for "Pan" and "Zoom". You may also drag the image in any direction by clicking and holding the left mouse button and dragging in any direction.

You will also see a tiny circle in the center of the image. Holding down the shift key and dragging this will change the "center" of the image for off-center rotation.

I think you need to read the instruction manual carefully because there seems to be some confusion. If you want to exactly duplicate the position and size of a slide on another slide, you need to copy/paste the values from the zoom, pan, rotate, etc., for that image; you don't need to copy/paste the slide itself.

I really have no idea what this "Alt" move mouse thing is. That's not how you change the size or position of a slide in PTE... As Dave explains, using Alt plus mouse movement changes the 3D "Pan Z" parameter which in 3D space moves the slide closer or further away. To correct the error, click the 3D button and return the Pan Z value to zero then change the zoom as indicated above.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Dave,

Yes, but he's talking about zooming the image not "Pan Z" - there is no Alt left Mouse Click for zoom and it's not "undocumented." LOL... I think he just needs to study the documentation because of confusion about zooming...

Best regards,

Lin

I know that it changes Pan Z values, but where did he get the idea that this keyboard shortcut was for "zoom"??? It's pretty clear if the documentation is read.... Maybe we should point him to the tutorials section where it's all explained in detail... I'm not intending to be pedantic, but the features need to be understood and the correct terms used or there will be total confusion....

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks for the very fast end clear replies!

Have you tried control/mousewheel?

Yachtsman1

Ah, that was the undocumented zooming feature. But it will zoom the (canvas) view, not the image. So yeah, next thing I tried was Alt + mouse, just to see if something would happen and with a bit of luck would zoom my image :)

"One thing that bugged me is that when I use the (undocumented?) zooming feature......."

http://docs.picturestoexe.com/en/hotkeys/main

The reason that the Zoom Value stays at 100% is that you are not Zooming in the strictest sense - you are altering the Pan Z Parameter. i.e. you are moving the object closer or further away in 3D space at the same 100% Zoom value.

Ditto the Cover Screen "Problem".

See the Animation Tab / 3D Button.

DG

Ahh. Couldn't have come up with that myself. I was really watching for any numbers changing when doing alt+mousing, but didn't see anything change. Turns out the 3D Parameters have their own little windows that's hidden by default and can only be toggled with the (documented!) hotkey Control + Q. They show the Pan Z value changing.

I'm a bit confused about what you're trying to do. The default zoom is 100% which is represented by 100.000 meaning 100% which can be either increased or decreased by entering a value manually, copy/paste a value or clicking on the small up or down black arrows located within the blue colored tiny window. You can also place the mouse cursor over either of these arrows and hold it down and the zoom values will either increase (up arrow) or decrease (down arrow) as quickly as mouse interrupt signals are received.

There is a small square box between the two 100.000 values. At default the right and left 100.000 values increase or decrease simultaneously. The default shows this tiny box as a "window." Clicking on this window will change the appearance to that of a "button" and this will separate the values so that they may be set independently. When this happens, the zoom becomes "non-linear" in that you may "stretch" or "squash" the appearance of the image.

In order to manually change the size of the image you need to first change the view (top center of your screen to the viewer's left of the close button) to something less than 100%. As an example, choose 25% and then you will see a green bounding rectangle with eight tiny black "squares." You can place your cursor over any of these then hold down the left mouse button and "drag" which will continually resize the image as you drag. If you hold down the keyboard shift key as you click then drag, the non-linear mode will be automatically actuated.

If you wish to set things back to the default, then type in 100 to either side of the value then click the center button to return it to a "window." Next enter zero in each of the two boxes for "Pan" and "Zoom". You may also drag the image in any direction by clicking and holding the left mouse button and dragging in any direction.

You will also see a tiny circle in the center of the image. Holding down the shift key and dragging this will change the "center" of the image for off-center rotation.

I think you need to read the instruction manual carefully because there seems to be some confusion. If you want to exactly duplicate the position and size of a slide on another slide, you need to copy/paste the values from the zoom, pan, rotate, etc., for that image; you don't need to copy/paste the slide itself.

I really have no idea what this "Alt" move mouse thing is. That's not how you change the size or position of a slide in PTE... As Dave explains, using Alt plus mouse movement changes the 3D "Pan Z" parameter which in 3D space moves the slide closer or further away. To correct the error, click the 3D button and return the Pan Z value to zero then change the zoom as indicated above.

Best regards,

Lin

Yeah, well, I did read some stuff and even watched some of your tutorials, but at least the 'pan, zoom, rotate' instruction was a little too mouse-oriented for me, for example you zoomed the canvas/view using the drop down menu, when you could also use Control + Scroll - a lot faster. So that's where I just tried some 'common' key combo's, hoping it would result in something :) And it did, just unexpectedly not exactly what I meant to do, but the end result looks completely identical o_o I'm an impatient little dude when trying to get to learn a new program, especially when in a testing phase like I'm now :)