WnSoft Forums

Using Keycopy.exe

jevans

I am trying to recover the PTE keys from a friend's laptop.  I have a copy of "Keycopy.exe".  When I run it it generates  txt and an reg files for both PTE and Video builder.  To install the keys do I just double click the reg files? I am sure this information is somewhere in the forum but I have not been able to find it so far.  The generated txt file content does not look anything like a PTE key.

Jeff.

Copy the return and paste it when PTE asks for a registration code... PTE keycodes have changed several times over the years so what you remember may not resemble what you now see.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Thanks. Do you mean to copy the text file itself or its contents. The contents include the word key= plus a long character string and quotation marks at various places. I tried the key copy file on my own machine and the contents of the text file generated bear no relation to the part of the key I can see from within pte which starts withe the letter D.

Jeff,

All the information of how to use the "keys" is in the Readme.txt file that accompanies the extracted key files within the

"Keys" folder.

To install the keys do I just double click the reg files?

Yes ... most PCs generally allow double-clicking of a "reg" file. This  is the easiest and fastest  method.

or you can use from PTE's top menu Help | Enter New License Key and Load Key From File option.

----------------------

* If you  use  copy and paste method ... copy the entire contents within  the key file and paste it.

* KeyCopy  does not work on current v8  versions or some  late v7 guilds/versions due to several key changes by WnSoft. Remember ... KeyCopy  was made in 2009 and  fully supported its previous and current version(s) of the time and several  build/versions afterwards that date.

* I have attached a Readme.txt  file for your reading. Also a image attachment of the Keys folder content generated.

Readme.txt

keys_folder.jpg

Thanks Nobeefstu. The machine I am trying to recover the keys from is Windows 7 and I am trying time install the keys on a Windows 10 machine. Will report what happens.

I am still having problems. I have a redundant desktop running Windows 8.1 with PTE 8.01 installed. I have run "Key copy.exe" on this computer which generated the key copy text and reg files. I put these files on a USB stick and inserted this into a new Windows 10 laptop with the latest version on PTE installed. Running this version of PTE, the "load a key" dialog appears. Inserting the text from the key copy.txt file results in an invalid key message. I also double clicked the key copy.reg files with the same result. Is the key for version 8.01 not valid for the latest Version?  If so this is a surprise, since on my own computer, ( note I am doing this for friend) I have periodically updated PTE with the same key.

Jeff,

Key registrations prior to v8 releases will not  work or be valid for use on  current  v8 PTE versions/builds. KeyCopy tool  does not retrieve V8 keys. .

You must  use your original V8  key supplied  by  WnSoft  to activate a  V8 PTE product. V7 or earlier keys are non functional and outdated ... they  perform no use for V8 users. Earlier version keys  only work on  v7 or earlier versions of PTE

* V8 keys are  totally new and different  in the  fact that they are encrypted  keys and are not stored within the OS registry as  per  older versions  of  PTE

* If you cannot  find  your  original email from Wnsoft  containing the V8 key .....the encrypted key may  be found in your User Application Data directory of PicturesToExe within the Registration folder.

*Otherwise  you will need to contact Wnsoft for  a  duplicate  V8  key.

Nobeefstu,

Thanks. The source for the keys was in fact a version 8.01 pte. But if Keycopy.exe will not retrieve version 8 keys then we may need to contact Wnsoft for a duplicate.

Jeff,

you may also try as mentioned above:

* If you cannot  find  your  original email from Wnsoft  containing the V8 key .....the encrypted key may  be found in your User Application Data directory of PicturesToExe within the Registration folder

Copy it to a USB and use it  on your other PC.  Just point to the registration.txt (key)  file ( not the folder) to register with PTE. If pointing to the file  does not work .... copy and  paste it  contents to PTE registration process.