WnSoft Forums

Email Presentations???

fitzner101

:huh: Actually, not sure anymore if one can email a presentation like we used to.

Mine was only 6 MB and I sent it to four people. It is right now coming back and I will have to call my isp to just take it off on their end as it will take a long time to come through.

So can you send a presentatio with the .pte? Is that correct? Can someone take the time to give me instructions on this?

I have been out for some health issues but better today. I do read the forum and tried to search but if you are not entering the search criteria right it also will not work.

Harry

So can you send a presentatio with the .pte? Is that correct? Can someone take the time to give me instructions on this?

The .pte file is just a text file telling Pix2Exe where to find all the pictures and music. So it's no good without those, of course!

If it's just size, then the file extension may not matter. I know that my ISP prevents me from sending files over some size. I think mine is about 8MB, but my son's is 2MB. In that case, it doesn't matter what the file extension is. A 3 MB jpeg or word document would choke my son's isp.

There was a recent post here which talked about another alternative:

" Subject: Sending large files From time to time, you may need to send a large file to a friend. Large files don't do well in emails and not everyone has a website from which files can be downloaded. Dropload http://www.dropload.com/ is a place where you can upload a file up to 50MB in size and then send an email to your friend. They have 48 hours to download it before it will be deleted. Thought our members might want to take advantage of this at some point! It's FREE! "

I hope I'm doing this correctly. I think the topic link is

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...t=ST&f=2&t=1953

It may also NOT be a size issue, but your ISP may prevent sending .exe (as many viruses are sent that way). I think if that's the case, you could rename it to myshow.xyz or anything you wanted, and send instructions for the recipient to rename is back to myshow.exe.

Don't know if any of these ideas will work, but they are things to try.

:)

But how do you rename the file extension from *.exe to *.xyz?

Ron [uK}

You can do it anywhere, like in Explorer, or right click on the file name and there should be a "Rename" option. It will give you some sort of warning saying that renaming it will dis-associate it with the current progam or something like that. That's OK. The recipient will rename it back (and get the same message) and then it will run.

This is all assuming you have a Windows machine. I forget how to do it on Macs. :P

Basically, that's right.

However:

1) I would not name it grad.pte, as "pte" is a valid file extension for the PTE files. If the recipient happens to have PTE, this will mess him up if he's not careful.

In another thread, it seems that "p2e" used to be used for this. Any extension that is not likely to be used will work. So I wouldn't pick "doc" or "xls" or "mus". That's why I used "xyz" in my example.

2) I'm really new to this forum, so perhaps a veteran would like to comment. Keep in mind there might be another issue that has to do with PTE itself, but I am not smart enough to know that.

3) If I understand the problem correctly, this has nothing to do with PTE really. It's an issue of size and/or isp restrictions.

IF the issue is size, try dropload.com.

IF the issue is that the receiving isp doesn't like ".exe"s then you can use this renaming scheme to trick it. :ph34r:

You might have to do some experiments with the recipient, like send a very small file named "FromHarry.exe" (so the recipient knows it's not a virus) and see if he can receive it. If so, then it's likely not an "exe" problem. Then create a very small (1 slide) show and save it as gradtest.exe and send it to him. If he gets that, then it might be the size issue. Or send a 5MB or 10MB file that's not an exe and see if he can receive it.

Unfortunately, different isp's may have different rules. So maybe dropload.com is the best bet.

I'm working on a grad.exe myself. When we're both done, wanna trade? :D

Please post here if/when you get it figured out!

Surely the rename function only applies to the filename and not its extension. If I have a file Moon.exe and rename it Moon.xyz it will become Moon.xyz.exe.

Ron [uK]

You have to go to www.dropload.com and register (free).

Then you log on as you, and pick the choice to drop a file for someone. You enter the email address of the recipient, choose the file, and go for it.

That uploads the file to their server, notifies the recipient that they have 48 hours to claim it.

When they claim it, you get an email saying it's done. In either case (claim it or not), it gets deleted in 48 hours.

For Ron.

File extensions are usually hidden by default.

Select 'My Computer' 'View' 'Folder Options' 'View' then uncheck 'Hide File extensions'. You can then change file extension using 'rename'. This is for Windows 98 but I'm sure it must be similar for whichever OS you are using.

Limey.

Thanks Limey (Where did you get that name?)

For Windows XP it is My Computer>Tools>FolderOptions>View. Well done.

Ron [uK]

Sending large files via email is not difficult! There is a piece of softwar4e called 'GSPLIT' that will cut up your file into small manageable pieces that can be sent via email. The recipient then uses the same software to put the pieces back together. This software package is free and can be downloaded from:- www.gdgsoft.com.

It works well, I have used it often