WnSoft Forums

Sound editing

jeanie

Hi Jeanie!

Adobe Auditition (formerly CoolEdit by Syntrillium) is an excellent software, with many pro or semi-pro features. However, if you don't demand sophisticate editing features, I think it's very suitable the free Audacity, used by many PTE show makers and members of this forum.

Hi Jenie,

Good to see the project is moving on ;) . Adobe Audition is very expensive and quite intensive to learn. Think Photoshop for sound. The Audacity programme much touted on this forum is a good place to start. It is easy to use and better still is free. When you are used to Audacity you can then deside if you need to pay for a bigger and better programme.

To make an A/V sound track you tend to need only 4 tracks i.e.

1+2 stereo sound, 3 Voice, 4 FX so you may find Audacity is more then enough for your needs.

Can I put in another vote for a mix of traffic noise and laid back music for your "Brew" show,

Best Wishes,

Alan

I use Adobe Audition which is excellent but takes time to learn - however, Barrie Beckham's tutorial cd gives a good introduction that covers the essentials needed for PTE painlessly and in quick time.

If you want to pay, this is the one to get but try Audacity first to see if it suits your needs. As mentioned earlier it's available at the Yorkshireman's favourite price.

A definition of a Yorkshireman - a Scot with the charity taken out. (I ought to know since I qualify).

hello and thanks :D

that saves me money.What a good lot you are and thanks Alan for the suggested sound for my Time For A Brew. I like the Traffic sound idea. :)

Next question now I've downloaded Audacity. Is there a good user manual to go with it. I've seen the basic guide but doesn't help much. Like the generate silence is set for 30secs. So what if you want start the show with 5 secs. silence? <_< Where is the fade in and fade out? I've not played too much yet but a good tutorial somewhere would be useful.

jeanie. :huh:

I had the same trouble when I downloaded it. The help files aren't very. I had a little bit of background in sound programs, so I just "fiddled with it" a bit and got it to do what I wanted. I'm no expert, but I can get by now.

I think I can answer your 2 specific questions. (I'm not at the computer that has Audacity on it, so I'm going sort of from memory...)

1) To add silence to the front of your show, I think you can just slide/shift the sound part to the right. On the left, click on the icon that has the double arrow <-->, then click on the left section of track(s) you want to move (to select them) then just drag the whole thing to the right. You could also probably insert silence, then cut out the bits you don't want. Oh, I think I remember having to click on an icon to select, THEN click on the <--> to shift it. Sorry. It's so easy to show someone, but so hard to describe it! :(

2) The fade in and out are under the Effects menu. You have to have something selected first, then you apply an effect. To select part of a track (unlike #1 above), you click and drag over the part you want. It will turn dark(er), then you select "Fade in" or whatever. There is an undo feature, so you can try it and change your mind.

I found a tutorial on the audacity site. Try this:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/tutorials.php

It isn't great, but it might get you started. Hope this helps. B)

Fade in - grab the second icon from left (with the blue line through it ) - pinch, (by holding down the left button), the blue line top or bottom like using tweezers and move it down (or up) to the centre, or any point between. Move along to the right and repeat to your taste. To anchor the 'spot' pinch and release in the same position.

Fade out in reverse, similarly.

Don't forget - Ctrl & z will undo previous act.

Play with it - have fun. (Easier to do than describe!)

John