WnSoft Forums

Manage Templates

Maureen

I usually create my sequences on my main computer (i.e. with Pictures to Exe in C drive ) but I always store all my files ie images, sound and created pte and exe files on a large 120Gb external hard drive.

I have saved my preferences and created templates which I open up to save time etc.

When I am sometimes demonstrating, I work with my laptop (again Pictures to Exe is on the C drive) and all files on the usb external drive , but I now realise that all the templates are left behind on my main computer at home. :o

Is it possible to save the templates to a folder location we can choose?

At the moment it saves to C\Program Files\ptev44.30beta2\Templates location.

I am sure someone could tell me how to easily change this location? :(

I know if I want the laptop PTE to recognise my file paths to the images when my external hard drive changes from drive M (home computer) to drive F (laptop) I just need to type in............

Start

Run

type cmd return

C:\> etc appears, then type in ..........

subst m: f:\

where my usb external (usually drive m) is plugged in as f drive

Can I type in any code to change the templates folders too please?

Many, many thanks for all the hard work creating the super new upgrades.

I think they are great :D

Best wishes

Maureen

PS

As I download and install each version of PTE into its own new folder.

I now realise that all previous templates I created are stored in the template folders of previous versions of PTE.

This obviously doesn't happen if we always save the new download to overwrite the previous one.

So now I've collected all my older templates together in the latest PTEv4.30beta#2 template folder but would prefer to have them stored automatically with my other files on the external drive.

Is this difficult to set up?

I know it will be easy to copy files across to the new location but if I try to open the files I get a message I/O error 103 ;)

Guest Techman1

Maureen,

As you've discovered, you can copy the template files over to your new version. In some cases you may need to edit your .pte file and change the directory references. Open your slideshow.pte file into an editor (Notepad works) and review any specific references to drive letters and/or directories. You will need to make these changes on your laptop so that the files can be found.

This should work fine, if not let me know and I'll try to help further.

Good luck!

Fred

It would be possible, perhaps, for the final 4.30 or before, to save the templates to a folder location we can choose.

Please let wait a little bit.

It's very important and the admin know it, but also a little difficult: with SuperIgor, nothing is impossible ;):D !

Hi Maureen,

I, too, switch very often from one computer to another (even to several) and the best way I've found is, as Techman1 said, to edit the .pte file and replace the 'old' path by the 'new' one. With the 'replace' function of Wordpad (there's no 'replace' function in Notepad) it's done in a snap and it's very safe.

Hope to see you in Cirencester in September :)

Very good new :) !

Finally, one will not lose any more our "projects" (when deleting the software or formating the part disk).

And open the file .pte is "dangerous" :angry: or not easy for many users or newbies.

To save the full project (where we want) is very important and one never speaks enough about it.

Many Thanks for all the advice & I look forward to being able to choose the template location in later versions of PTE.

Yes I'll be in Cirencester in September (only 20 minutes from home for us - so very handy!) :D:D:D .

Look forward to catching up with other PTE users there too.

At present our normal phone line has a major fault and the telephone company will have to dig up our village to correct it. So I can't use the Internet :angry:

or read e-mails

:o unless I use another computer for about a week -

am very upset as I'll have to do housework now! :unsure:

(or maybe finish off lots of AVs.!!!)

love Maureen