WnSoft Forums

Great CD-Ripper, Audio Converter, Burner

RudiRe

I came across a program called EAC, which stands for Exact Audio Copy.

Download from

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/eac6.html

or directely from

http://studserver.uni-dortmund.de/~su0165/eac09b4.zip

I'm thrilled. EAC really avoids mistakes in reading audio CDs.

It's Freeware (Postcardware) and there's a great documentation about it at

http://mp3.radified.com/

I think, it's "le must" for any serious PTE user.

Thank you, Rudi, for remind all this outstanding software, several times advised by me, but known (and used) not well enough.

I agree, there is no doubt about its excellence, above all in grabbing audio tracks. Its creator, Andre Wiethoff, has made an almost perfect tool, the only one, in my opinion, that can allow to extract exactly audio tracks from a CD, and to convert them in wav files (but also mp3).

Probably a great ripper, but like some other freeware type programs, not sophisticated enough to find my CD's (2 cd drives) and no apparent way to tell the program by drive designator where they are.

Commercial programs like Nero, EZ CD creator, etc, have no problem locating either of my CD/DVD burners, but several freeware programs including this one are clueless about their existence. There must be something frequently overlooked by programmers, or assumptions which are invalid. I would like to try it, but after numerous installs and attempts to "trick" the program into finding the CD drives, I've given up. :lol:

Best regards,

Lin

After checking the forum, I'm not the only one having this problem (see link to thread).... It's difficult to say what is causing it, and it obviously is not a widespread issue, but I'm afraid there may be no resolution. I've over 20 years experience with programming and low level computer code and have not been able to resolve it. I do understand both Windows and ASPI very well. As I said in my other post, several freeware/shareware programs have not been able to find my CD drives, but commercial programs like EZ-CD Creator and Nero have no difficulty at all. Likely it's a Windows issue with too many registry entries and might be resolved by a clean Windows install, but I have over 70 gigabytes of data and programs which would take days to reinstall and configure properly, so I think I'll quit before I make more work for myself than I care to invest in.

I'll take your word that it's the best ripper available - I just wish I could try it, maybe on one of my other systems.....

http://www.digital-inn.de/showthread.php?s...&threadid=12902

Best regards,

Lin

Wow, that's really an informative forum too.

I feel sorry, that EAC didn't work for you (yet).

Maybe another application is occupying the "find CD" function.

There's one posting there, that sounded promising to me, which was

copying wnaspi.dll from my \win32 dir into the EAC application directory.

Would be great, if we could get EAC going for you.

I realize, Lin... Only a nozy question: do you have a backup of all your data? I think you have about 60 GB... (OS and programs probably occupy no more than 10 G).

I send all my best wishes to you. But since my main HDD (a Maxtor 30 GB one year old!) crashed few months ago, I have become VERY careful!

I realize, Lin... Only a nozy question: do you have a backup of all your data? I think you have about 60 GB... (OS and programs probably occupy no more than 10 G).

Hi Guido,

Yes, as a professional photographer, I'm very careful with data. I have all data backed up on Ultrium (100 gigabyte high speed tape) and magneto optical media, and I duplicate all my photo archives on DVD media.

I don't generally back up programs unless I don't have original install media, i.e., web purchases, but since I use such a large number of programs re-installing and especially re-configuring takes days rather than hours - so a complete reformat and re-install is a major production for me. I have multiple systems, but use my fastest for production work and this is the one I tried this ripper on.

I've left a message and had a reply already from Andre. His suggestion was to download the 32 bit ASPI dll from the Nero site and put it in the EAC folder, but the latest 32b ASPI dll is already resident in my Windows/System folder - so I'll experiment and see if moving it to the EAC folder will make a difference, but I have my doubts.

Best regards,

Lin