WnSoft Forums

Backup in Zip....[SOLVED]

goddi

Greetings,

I finished a project using the original large out-of-the-camera image files plus video files. So the final MP4 is way too big. I want to copy the entire project to another folder and reduce the file size of all the jpgs. So, I did a 'Backup  in Zip'. It did not show any error messages and completed with no problems.

I then, in another folder, unzipped the contents. I got a bunch of error messages during the unzip process. I am using WinZip. However, when I opened the project in the new folder where it was unzipped, I did not get any error or missing files and it looks complete.

Below are some screenprints of the first few error messages and part of the WinZip log. So my question is, is PTE's Backup in Zip causing the error messages to occur or is it something else, like my WinZip not being able to handle the large file? The final zipped file is 4,815 564 Kb.

Any ideas?

PTE-ZipError.jpg.93961b8efb9b74c3394a15fa385be0cd.jpg

PTE-ZipError-2.jpg.cbf72ee959a30bdf6594e86e0b4ff59e.jpg

PTE-ZipError-3.thumb.jpg.77f08ddbdc3f1cf8377f1df174ee716b.jpg

PTE-ZipError-4.thumb.jpg.95a4ee2b492eecea570ff0681bc2c247.jpg

Gary

Greetings,

I looked a bit more into this problem. I created a new folder with the project containing the original large images from the PTE Backup in Zip file. During the unzipping is when I got all the error messages. I used FastStone Photo Resizer to resize them from 6000x4000 to 1920x1080. The show still played with all the images, and I could not see any problems.

Upon further examination, I see that some of the images are still at the original 6000x4000, not the reduced size. And I notice that these images are still pointing to their original project's location, and they aren't even showing up in the File List in the new reduced project. They show up in the Slides, but not the File List. Not sure what is going on here.

Hard to explain but not sure if the Backup in Zip is working correctly or the problem is with my WinZip not unzipping all the files. Strange that the some of the images in the new folder are shown in the Slides but not in the File List.

Gary

4 minutes ago, jt49 said:

Zip has various restrictions on file sizes (~4GB)

JT... Oh. Did not know that. So the Backup In Zip is working but WinZip is not able to unzip all the files. Still strange that the new project shows images in the Slides but are not actually in the File List. I would have thought that the 'missing' images would have caused an error message to warn that the images were really missing from the File List, and their source is in some other folder. I'd think this might be a bug?

Gary

After a bit of thinking about this, all these problems could have been avoided if the 'Backup In Zip' gave a warning that the max Zip file size is being exceeded. My WinZip is pretty old. Is there a Zip program that does not have this limitation?

Gary

Ok...I found Zipware. I was able to unzip the 'Backup in Zip' file and did not see any errors. The project in the new folder with the unzipped files seem to all be there and show their source is in that folder, not pointing to the original folder. So the warning to all is to update your Zip program. Apparently, the Zipware, at least, does not have the 4 Gb limitation.

Gary