WnSoft Forums

MultiShow Free Utility

boxig

Granot, this type of utility is just what I have been looking for for a long time. Right now, I'm just using a perl script to run multiple shows, since that was the easiest way for me to do this. I typically have to set up multiple shows (from various contributors - underwater photo shows from my dive club) and have them run in sequence as background for get-togethers and parties that we have.

One thing that I would like for you to add, and then it would be perfect for me, is a way to have the shows cycle continuously. That is, when multishow has finished running through all the shows in the list, it would start at the beginning again. Now that you have added the Stop button, that should work and I would still have a way to stop the cycling. Is this possible?

Thanks for your work!

Linda

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that I would like for you to add, and then it would be perfect for me, is a way to have the shows cycle continuously.

Linda,

I think this is possible.

I am still working on version 1.0.0.3 which will allow you to display logo image for 3 seconds or to add a button (as part of the image) and let user start when he is ready. Also I simplify whatever I can and fixed some bugs.

I will let you know when this new feature will be added.

Thank you for your feedback

:P Granot

MultiShow Player Version 1.0.0.3

Download:

http://www.thailandphotoalbum.com/MultiShowPlayer.zip

Thanks to all "PicturesToExe" forum members who helped me in creating this tool and to Ken who was the initiator of it.

This utility is for presentations (exe) creators to use as distribution tool on a CD or for their own use on Hard Drive

It allows creator to include on CD as many presentations as he wants. User can run all presentation or selected presentation, one at a time or one after the other,

in a sequence, only by one click. All show can be seen in a loop or once only. User can sort presentations in the order he wants and save his sorted list, which he can reload any time.

Any list saved will include only selected shows.

To select more than one show use the "Ctlr" key.

User can choose to view shows from predefined lists if supplied by creator. When click on "Select a list of shows" all predefined lists will be displayed. When click on a list name all shows on that list will be displayed.

A Click on any show name on the list will display a text about the show, if supplied by creator.

Click on small blue icon to loop the shows.

Important:

Viewing few presentations one after the other automatically is possible only if those presentation auto exit when show is finished, or if user close the presentation. It is not possible if presentation repeats itself after last slide or is not closed by user.

How to use on CD

================

On your CD include a folder called "Shows" with all your presentations inside. Include the supplied "autorun.inf" file and the utility "MultiShow.exe" in the root of your CD.

How to use on HD

================

In the utility folder create a folder called "Shows" and put all your presentations inside.

Display a general "About" - optional

=============================

Add to the root of CD a file called "about.txt" with all you want to write about yourself, your work, or whatever. When user will click on the "About" (on small CD image) your text will be displayed.

Display text about each show - optional

===============================

You can display a long text telling about each show. This text will be displayed when user select a show from a list. To attach a text to a show, just write a simple TXT file and name it the same as your show file, changing the EXE extension to TXT. Then put all txt files together with your shows in "Shows" folder.

Predefined lists of shows - optional

============================

You can give your user some ready made lists of shows. This is useful if your shows are of mixed topics, and you want to make a group from each topic.

Lists of shows are simple text files with ORD extension. You can make them by using Notepad and then rename the extension from TXT to ORD. All predefined lists should be put in the program folder or in the root of CD.

To make a list, write the names of your shows files, without extension, each name on a line, in the order you want them to be displayed.

Then create a new file with Notepad and write all names of your ORD files in the order you want them to be displayed, each on a line, without extension, and rename this file to be "ordList.ini". This file should be in the program folder or in the root of CD.

Logo image on welcome page - optional

==============================

You can start the utility by displaying your logo image in two different ways:

1. Display the image for 3 seconds and then utility runs.

2. Display the image and let user click on a button you will put on the image to start utility. This second option is good if you put some longer text on image.

For option 1 add an image called "Logo.jpg" to the root of CD. Image size should be 550 x 405 pixels.

For option 2 rename your image to be called "Logo1.jpg".

Check before distributing

==================

It is very recommended to check all features on a CD before burning more CDs.

There are some other features I consider to add like installing shows temporarily on user's HD (remove when done) and maybe other feature which you may think of. I will be waiting for your feedback for this last version. If you tried a previous version, please notice that there are some changes, especially in the making of the ORD and INI files.

and now back to my vacation...

:P:P:P:P Granot

Hi Granot:

I downloaded MultiShow v1.0.0.3 and began to evaluate. Will try to give a thorough workout this weekend.

There is one immediate problem for those who attempt to make a CD.

I proceeded to make a test R/W CD of a group of 14 slideshows.

The original of these shows are located on my D: hard drive in the directory \PTE SlideShows 2.

In preparation for creating the CD I ran MultiShow in this directory and had MultiShow save three(3) *.ord list files. I also created an OrdList.ini file of these lists. All ran well on my D: drive.

I proceeded to create the CD and then tested with your Autorun.ini file.

Everything worked beautifully including my personally created logo.jpg. I could select from the list of files and all ran well until......

......I loaded one of my previously prepared lists (*.ord). MultiShow became unresponsive after the shows in the list I selected were displayed. I coudn't even "load all shows from CD"...unresponsive...but MultiShow would let me "Close" it.

Problem and solution:

The contents of one of MultiShow's generated list files (*.ord) was:

D:\PTE SlideShows 2\Shows\Kenny+Kay.exe

D:\PTE SlideShows 2\Shows\As Time Goes Bye.exe

D:\PTE SlideShows 2\Shows\Sara Kay Best.exe

D:\PTE SlideShows 2\Shows\Sara Kay Nickles.exe

D:\PTE SlideShows 2\Shows\Xmas 2003.exe

D:\PTE SlideShows 2\Shows\50th Anniversary.exe

I manually modified this file and all others to the following structure:

Shows\Kenny+Kay.exe

Shows\As Time Goes Bye.exe

Shows\Sara Kay Best.exe

Shows\Sara Kay Nickles.exe

Shows\Xmas 2003.exe

Shows\50th Anniversary.exe

I reburned the CD R/W and all worked well.

When MultiShow saves a list the Absolute directory structure should not be saved in the list but the directory structure relative to the MultiShow.exe program should be saved (definitely a drive letter should never be saved with the list!)

.......keep up your wonderful

ken

:D:D

Ken,

Yes, I made a few changes in version 1.0.0.3

To make a list, write the names of your shows files, without extension, each name on a line, in the order you want them to be displayed.

and same goes for "ordList.ini". It sould work without the "Shows\" -

(I wonder how you make it work with "Shows\") :(

I think, just to be safe, cut the "Shows\" from the files.

It is easy way to make lists using the utility and then open the lists and erase the path before the file names.

I believe that after few trials anyone can master this utility and can make the best of it. I'm waiting to hear your and others comments after full test.

Thank you all

Granot,

The MultiShow generated "OrdList.ini" was o.k.

I did not modify it at all as it does not point to any directories or drive letters.

ken

;)

Robert,

I own you this and didn't forget (as I always) ;)

Install Presentations to HD and Uninstall when close !

Please remember this feature was not tested yet so whoever want to check it... will be welcome.

Download version 1.0.0.4 and read at the end of the updated "readme" file how to do it. This is optional feature so you don't have to use it, it's up to you.

Ken,

What you mean by "The MultiShow generated "OrdList.ini" was o.k." ?

and... did you got my email request ?

Thank you all

Ken,

What you mean by "The MultiShow generated "OrdList.ini" was o.k." ?

and... did you got my email request ?

Maybe I did not understand your earlier post:

and same goes for "ordList.ini". It sould work without the "Shows\" -

(I wonder how you make it work with "Shows\")

did you got my email request ?

Yes, just now, and replied to you.

What's new in versions 1.0.0.5

============================

Added: If there is only one presentation in "Shows" folder it will be always temporarily installed on user's HD, run from HD and removed when show is closed.

What's new in versions 1.0.0.4

===========================

Added: An option feature which will temporarily install each presentation at a time on user's HD, run from HD and removed when show is closed.

:( Please, I need some feedback how these new features work.

Got out of new ideas. Do you have any ?

:o Granot

You get more done on "vacation" than most of us do at "full speed."

I left town for a day and now will need a week to catch up with all your improvements. Amazing.

I am pushing on a presentation for a tomorrow eve gathering. Until then I must restrain myself from testing your very intriguing work. Meanwhile, thank you.

Hi Granot,

Wow, I went to work today and in the meantime, you've made two releases while on vacation!

Thanks for adding the loop function. Seems to work, though I have a suggestion, and a question.

First, is it possible to highlight the button when looping is on? I have a tough time figuring out whether it is off or on unless I run to find out.

The other thing is that it appears that I need to both hit Stop, and toggle looping off, in order to stop my looping shows. Is this the way you think it should work, or should Stop cover both cases?

Otherwise, it's great, and just what I need. Thanks so much!

Linda,

is it possible to highlight the button when looping is on?

It is. But maybe not enough. I'll make it better.

The other thing is that it appears that I need to both hit Stop, and toggle looping off, in order to stop my looping shows. Is this the way you think it should work, or should Stop cover both cases?

You are right. I missed that one. I will fix it.

Otherwise, it's great

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: You are right again !

Linda, this for you:

version 1.0.0.6

"Stop" will "Stop Loop" too.

Tool Tip for Loop/Stop Loop now more clear. Will show "Loop" if not looped or "Stop Loop" if looped.

Using the utility to run from HD when only one show

If there is only one presentation in "Shows" folder then by default the utility will copy the show to user's HD, run from HD and uninstall when done. You can display Logo image or not.

Granot, I have read this topic with considerable interest.

While I have no immediate need for this utility, it loks quite handy and when you get it "perfected", I will download a copy. I'm sorry I cannot spend the time at this point in my life to help debug or suggest enhancements. :( As a matter of fact, I don't understand how you can spend all the time you do. :blink:

In any case, please accept my encouragement and thanks for your efforts and willingness to help out the rest of us. :D

Please post here when you think you have a "final" version. ;)

Granot, it now works perfectly for me. I really like the tool tip; makes it very clear. And the looping works great!

I can't believe we didn't ask you to make this a long time ago! :lol:

Enjoy the rest of your vacation in Thailand! I went there for the first time in April/May for scuba, and it won't be the last... it's a wonderful country.

Thanks!!

Hi Granot,

I really like your utility Multishow, many thanks for your work.

A suggestion though, since some CD drives are a bit slow at loading the exe files would it be possible to have ablank or logo screen exhibited whilst the next show loads?

This would look so much better than reverting to the window desk top.

Best ragards

Alan

David,

Thanks for your king works. I think the utility is ready. Till now nobody complained about any problem, just few small improvments which were asked. Ken is working now on new interfaces, but this is just for the appearance.

I was thinking to add a "Install Screen Saver" on users system, but I'm not sure this is the utility to add this button.

Linda,

... and now it's time to check some of my over 100 utilities here. ;)

Alan,

Huuummmm...

That's interestins suggestion. I was testing it with very small shows (2 slides) just to save time so didn't have this problem. But I think, since this is a major change, I have to see first how to do it the best way, and what other members are thinking about it. What I mean is, should I show the logo or blank color, and which color ?????? and... can I do it at all (I have a feeling that not but who knows). Ok, I'm thinking.... a color is not good since everyone likes anothe color. so it must be the logo. But then, what about the background arround the logo ?...Huummm... too tired now (midnight) I'll think about it tomorrow.

Ken,

Your graphic is beautiful ! Thank you for allowing me to use your skins. I just sent you an email but it came back. I hope you'll get the second. I will send you email again tomorrow after checking how to do it.

Thank you all

Granot hi

Do I understand correctly that one burns your utility on to the CD with the presentations? I have done so but cannot get the presentations listed in the utility. What am I doing wrong?

Barbara

version 1.0.0.7 - Major Update

* New interface made by Ken (nickles).Thank you very much Ken.

* Ability to change skins.

In the utility folder you will find a new folder called "Skins".

In this folder there are for now three skins called:

Skin01.jpg

Skin02.jpg

Skin03.jpg

I made them in a hurry from Ken's original just as samples.

This folder is for your use only so do not include it on your CD.

If you want to use the default skin - do nothing.

If you want to use another skin, copy one of the images to the utility folder and rename it to be: "Skin.jpg". Include this image on the root of your CD.

I hope more skins will come and maybe.... you will be able to use your own skins

(but i can't promise).

Important notice:

I had to make some majot changing in the way things work in order to use the new skin. I could only made few tests so if you find something wrong, please let me know. Pay attention to those little changes in using some buttons.

Many thanks again to Ken for his skin.

Barbara,

How can I guess what you are doing wrong if I don't know what you are doing ? ;)

Did you included "Shows" folder with all shows inside ?

Did you made the ini file as should ?

Did you made the ord files as should ?

Did you pay your taxes as should ? :o

Please give me more information as for what happening when you run the utility or click on buttons. I am sure we can solve this.

Granot Hi

Yes, I paid my taxes but what I couldn't do was access the shows already on the CD. After a good night's sleep I realized that all the action takes place on the HD AND then I have to burn the CD. :lol:

Does this make sense now?

Enjoy Thailand

Barbara

Barbara,

Does this make sense now?

:( Not to me.

It should work on your HD. You must make it first work on your HD so you will be sure you made all the right way. Only then Burn the CD. If you'll make all your tests on CDs than next year you will have no money to pay the taxes :o

Or maybe I didn't understand you... you know,.. the tropic sun of Thailand.

Alan.

I made a test version with full screen bacground. But I'm still thinking how to make that PTE creator can choose between custom window size or full sceen. This probably be done when final version 2.0 will be ready.

Granot hi

You keep forgetting that I am new to all this jargon. I finally got the shows placed into the utility (even with the new skin!) but next question. Is there a limit to how many shows can be placed in the MultiShow? I got to 14. The total mb is 270. But a CD holds more and I am unable to add another show to the show folder. What's the secret?

Barbara :rolleyes:

What's new in version 1.0.0.8

* Simplified few things by using "cfg.ini" file.

* Some buttons captions were renamed.

* Window size was enlarged.

* Nicer interface (by Ken)

* Sorry, Abulity to change skins was canceled for now. :o

But you still can add your Logo image. :D

Barbara,

I finally got the shows placed into the utility ..... I got to 14. ...and I am unable to add another show to the show folder

Am I to understand that "finally got the shows" means ONE show ???

Still on the version you have (don't upload yet new version if you want to keep your skin or dowmload to another folder if you want to check it)

Try this, Put all your shows inside the "Shows" folder while on your HD. Run the utility as it is. Click "Run all Shows". Is it working ???

Sorry that you will have to give up your skin :( couse new version 1.0.0.8 does not have this feature.)

If you download version 1.0.0.8 than put it separatly from the version you have. Then copy your "Shows" folder with all shows inside and put it in the new version folder. Run and you should get list of all your shows. Then try to run all shows.

Let me know the results. I am on vacation so I have plenty of time.

:o

Due to some serious threats on my life, I re-activated the ability to change skin.

So from now on you can make your own skins, but will still have to use my buttons.

I uploaded new version 1.0.0.8 and inside you can find some skin samples.

Read the "Readme" file for instructions. Please make your skins in the right dimentions.

:( Granot