WnSoft Forums

A Walk in the Garden

nickles

I love photography and always have. The new digital cameras have made it even more fun and gives the photographer control over the development process. When you couple this with the ease of using PTE to make nice presentations...you have a winner. When Kodak came out with their first digital DC260, I ran out and bought one. I then rushed out and bought a Canon G2 when they were announced. I think I was the first person in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex to buy Canon's Digital Rebel SLR. Prior to digital I used and still have a Canon AE-1 and A-1 with lot's of lenses.

I've recently been experimenting with old manual focus lenses that use the old Pentax M42 type of mount. These are very available on EBay. Of several that I have bought there are two that really shine...An old Tamron 90/2.5 Adaptall and a Carl Zeiss Flektogon 35/2.5. I've bought several M42 screwmount adapters that let me attach the lenses to the Rebels EOS mount.

Shortly after receiving the old used Flektogon, which shipped from the Czech Republic, I anxiously went to the local Botanic Gardens to check it out. I was there when the gates opened at 8am Sunday morning. It was me, my camera, a few gardeners, a couple of security guards, a couple pushing a baby buggy, and later a wedding photographer shooting photos of a bride to be. I almost had all 400 or so acres of lush green walking paths to myself. In two hours I had shot around 130 photos with the Flektogon. When I got back home to my computer to develop my shots...I was totally amazed. Normally I get a half dozen good shots out of a hundred. I think I ended up with 4 out of focus shots. The Flektogon close focuses to within about 4 inches of the front of the lens and infinity focus is about 10 feet. On the Digital Rebel the 35mm is equivalent to a 50mm on a film SLR. The clarity and sharpness was astounding. My sharpest Canon lens is an Auto Focus 50/1.8...but in my opinion the Flektogon outperformed it in sharpness, contrast and color. Based on experience so far with the Tamron 90/2.5 and Flektogon 35/2.5 and about 500 photos...I would not trade them for any AF lens Canon makes in this focal length.

I think the photos in the following slide show, that is posted at Beechbrook Cottage and was derived from my walk in the gardens, speak for themselves:

A Walk in the Garden

Note: It's a large 25mb!

ken

A truly delightful presentation Ken to start my day before going downstairs to get my breakfast. I liked the way where you have rationed the use of effects other than "fade in/out" and in those cases your use of a high setting for the smoothing line has worked wonders. Photoshop (or other) has come into play with the odd image in greyscale fading up to full colour and in particular the isolated red rose. Thanks a lot.

Ron [uK]

Hi Ken,

I would like to join in with the others in congratulating you on a fine show displaying good photographic technique and nice use of PTE.

But, (you knew there was going to be a but didn't you?) I feel that I have to remark about the music used. The comments I am about to make apply to most shows and not only to yours. We are continually told that using copyrighted music is a no-no and yet most a/v enthusiasts use such music. I would be the first to agree that most copyright free music available is, at best, bordering on dull, uninspiring and difficult to match up with the subject of the photographs being displayed. I would prefer, in most cases, to hear music appropriate to the subject that does not send me to sleep. But the law is the law and most a/v people tend to ignore it. Is there some unspoken rule that I am not aware of?

I have often wondered how much of the responsibility Beechbrook would have to bear for hosting all of this "illegal" material?

Once again Ken, a fine show for all that.

DaveG

I have often wondered how much of the responsibility Beechbrook would have to bear for hosting all of this "illegal" material?

Bill went out of his way to set up his website and i think he would have looked into the point -- i had some discussion with him re certain things and he did not want certain sites linked to his site

and I quite imagine Michel and Luumenlux and others did the same for their site

Most of us are not "sellers" of shows

think you are stretching the point here Dave B)

ken

Hi Ken,

I was, believe it or not, trying to be constructive about the whole issue of music in A/V and not critical of what you have done.

My point about Beechbrook is that I would hate to see it shut down because of blatant disregard for copyright issues by MOST people not just yourself. It is not Beechbrook who are "at fault" but the people who post there. Nevertheless the question I pose is: "Are Beechbrook liable as host to questionable material".

Can anyone in this forum speak with authority about the issue and give a DEFINITIVE answer?

I, for one, would be extremely grateful.

Best wishes,

DaveG

For me, I don't release now the shows with famous singers, in life or recent music films...or modern authors.

I accept all the free music (as Barry) or classical music (public domain) or certain "ambiance and nature" free music.

Or, sure, many soundtracks .Ogg free.

But, I think, for the future, for the recent music, we will have to paid a little money (in France) for peace and to release all we want.

In, this moment, it's not for good fixed and the "downloads" are to private usage, no commercial and at home, not public in a "theatre".

And, a few people only, download the shows and with these free musics, as said, no problem.

Don't worry, I think Bill know.

Note: recently, I didn't accept a show with a "Michel Sardou" song.

Hi DaveG,

I'm not at all offended by your question concerning music copyrights...but I don't have an answer. My slideshows are non-commercial and I am purely an amateur photographer. I create slideshows that I share with family members and do not market or sell anything. I own a purchased CD, LP or Cassette Tape for all music I use in my slide shows. As far as my Beechbrook post, I consider Beechbrook as a place to share slideshow concepts and obtain critiques and feedback on these areas...and not a place to commercially distribute a product.

I did a quick search on the web concerning copyright infringement and found many, many opinions. I liked the opinion that I found here:

What about the Audio Home Recording Act?

I don't know for sure what is right but I suspect their are as many legal opinions as their are lawyers...maybe I'll end up in jail....but I hope not.

thanks for your feedback.....

ken

Re the issue of music copyright.

Whatever, the rights and wrongs I would hope that for our limited audience there would be no problem. In fact I have purchased a couple of Cd's simply on the basis of having heard the music on AVs downloaded from Beechbrook! So you can see there are benefits to the industry from our using this music.

It is a pity that the comments on Ken's excellent presentation has been engulfed with this side issue, however important, on copyright. This has been raised in previous threads, but in this case it should not have been introduced to mar Ken's presentation, but started as a new topic and not linked to any of the Beechbrook presentations. Please block it here and now and start it afresh elsewhere if need be.

Ron [uK]

I sincerely appreciate all the comments that y'all have made.

Michel...

I always set the "fit the screen" option...just curious of why you suggest otherwise...and I agree the show runs a bit slow.

Michel's probably got the safest answer to the sound track, especially when posting on the web for general public viewing...I've worried about that when I've posted but was never sure.

Most of my shows are prepared for sending to my children, grand children, and relatives, so I often add there favourite tunes as the sound track.

Sincerely....

ken

:D

Ken, I too enjoyed your presentation. My personal favorite photos are a few of your close ups. Several very nice compositions showed also the lens capability you were describing. Really nice rendering of the closeups and depth of field seemed nicely wider than what I might have expected on some shots. Thank you for sharing the info as well as the photos.

Hi Ken,

Can anyone in this forum speak with authority about the issue and give a DEFINITIVE answer?

I, for one, would be extremely grateful.

Best wishes,

DaveG

Dave, I don't think your sincere question detracts from Ken's nice presentation. You ask what most all of us have asked with equal sincerety. I think the answers that have been given in this brief round are all good. But a definitive answer that would make life easier for many, is, in my opinion, not available. So we all do what we think best.

Hi all,

I did a little search on the weekend and found the following courtesy of Maureen Albright:

"Always - PLEASE RESPECT THE COPYRIGHT OF RECORDINGS

& ENSURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT LICENCE, etc

Information about Background music for AVs can be read on the PTE Forum at

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...usicentry2041

and also

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...ct=ST&f=2&t=782 "

I am a little happier and know how to proceed.

Best wishes,

DaveG.