WnSoft Forums

Jumpy transitions on CD

bharkins

I am working on a presentation on the various things with digital photos that can be done once dowloaded to the computer. Slide shows is one avenue of presenting images and of course I want to use PTE. I have a short 50 slide show with music that works fine on the computer as an exe. However, I wish to show the capability of having a show on CD for use on any computer without the PTE software. First the autoinf file does not auto start. Of more concern is that the on screen display time as well as the transition time is jumpy and in no way related to the show from the hard drive. The files are fairly large, 1 - 2 Mb which I have used many times showing shows on the computer (Inspiron 8200 2.2Ghz). I am wondering if the images are too large for the CD to handle. If so, what is the recomended file size for use on a CD standalone show?

Thanks for any input.

Bill

Yes Bill, the images are definitely too large.

Remember that a CD device is very slower than a HDD. And if you want your show can run on "any computer" (even on an elderly one) your image files must be Jpeg and not larger than 150-200 KB.

Bill:

Most of us recommend file sizes of about 200kb max (well maybe 250-300 in a pinch). Personally I re-size to 800x600 or 1024x768 and save as jpg quality 5 or 6. That can be done in a batch routine in PhotoShop so it is no work for you. Depending on screen size, you may want to use larger image size.

I suspect your problem is PTE trying to read the large files from the CD in time for the next transition. Reading from CDs can be quite slow depending on your drive.

Autoruns do work, there have been many discussions and several solutions used by many PTE users. Do a search, bottom right of forum screen, for AUTOSTART. BOXIG has a utility that will do it, plus run your shows from the CD. Part of this is in a current on-going thread.

I prefer to use a "front page" with objects on the first page that link to each show. Then I just click on the show I want to present and away I go.

We all have our own routines that produce the same end result.

Good luck