WnSoft Forums

avi files and Irfanview

LumenLux

With all the Irfanview users among us, I hope some of you can clarify something. When I use Irfanview to play an avi file, the "default" result on my computers is that the sound plays but there is no picture in the Irfanview window. In Irfanview "properties" I can select EXTERNAL viewer and then when I use Irfanview to play the avi file, it will open Windows Media Player as the viewer. I have "all plugins" of Irfanview in the appropriate directory I think. When I select EXTERNAL, is Irfanview using the plugin (which results in Windows Media Player) or is there a way that the plugin should be working if I have selected INTERNAL video view of Irfanview?

Bob, normally I don't use Irfanview to see AVI files. But as I would to reply to your question, I just installed "all_plugins.exe" (v3.80).

I searched for all (not many) AVI in my machine, made with different software. All are opened correctly by Irfanview, besides one made by a $50 photo-movie-webcam. I can hear audio of this file, but a message appears, that says "this movie needs MJPG not available codec". However, this AVI can be played by Win Media Player and RealOne.

Unluckily, there are many different types or AVI files (DivX too can have an AVI extension!), so too many different codecs are necessary.

Hello Bob

You dont say if Media player will play the video in question , if it doesnt , then its more than likely a codec problem for sure .

l would say that Irfanview is useing Media Player to play its video files by implementing internal mci commands , it must be , as the size of Irfanview program could not also have its own video player inbuilt , not a good one anyway .

l can mail you a small utility called Gspot , that will tell you what codecs you have installed on your machine and lots of information about any video file , like codec bit rate etc .

It runs standalone and dont need to be installed and is very small .

Let me know ?

Rod

Guido and Rod - your guidance influenced me to simply go into Google to find and install the codec that Irfanview needed to play the particular avi. By the way, the avi in question is one from the video feature of my digital still camera. The camera does not provide any player software as I now surmise that the codec is not so rare - just necessary.

Now with the avi readily viewable, I have used it with boxig's nifty little video utility.

Thanks again friends.