WnSoft Forums

Archiving

Marianne

Hi,

I just searched the forum to see if there was something about archiving and the only thing I came up with was an advice to use Picasa.

I am sure there are a lot of solutions to the question how to trace your images. What I am looking for is a program just for cataloging. But..., since I have lots of pictures, it should be possible to keyword them in a batch mode, not one by one. Furthermore it should be able to include cd-rom or dvd.

What, if any, software do you use to find your photographs? Or do you just rely on your memory as I have done the last year, but I must be getting old, because I now start losing track :angry:

I use a purpose made database, written using MS Access.

For a ready-made solution, try "Thumbs Plus":

Creates a thumbnail view of all your photos. You can quickly and easily batch process any changes to your pictures including auto-rename. You can then add keywords and auto-create web pages of thumb-nailed pictures.

http://www.cerious.com/

I use iMatch. It will do batch keywording (and has a lot more batch processing options) and will keep track of your images on CD etc. but you don't actually have to have the CD in the drive for it search as it keeps thumbnails cached in the database. You can assign categories to images and it will even search for images based on a simple sketch.

quote from Woody's " newsletter

--==>> WOW -- WOODY's OFFICE WATCH <<==--

Microsoft Office advice and news from Woody Leonhard

1 September 2004 Vol 9 No 14

3. COPERNIC ENTERS SEARCH RACE

Many of you will remember the Copernic web search program from years past. Well now they've entered the market for finding documents and emails on your computer with Copernic Desktop Search

www.copernic.com

The Windows XP indexing tool is a dreadful resource hog and best avoided. The news that Longhorn (the next major Windows release) will not have the new file system probably also means that the innovative document searching and organization system is also on hold. This means an open field for tools to search your hard drive.

If you've only ever used the Windows XP search then you're in for a treat. Once the index on one of the third party products is complete, you can find documents based on a few words in the blink of an eye and you can also search emails in Outlook or Outlook Express with similar speed.

Companies like X1 and Dtsearch have been joined by Copernic. Other companies have time-limited trial versions by Copernic have a different approach.

As they have with other products, Copernic have released a free version of Copernic Desktop Search which will be joined later by paid versions with extra features. It's available at www.copernic.com

you can select to just search pictures -- still free

same is very fast

but like anything the picts have to properly id'd

stores it's data on my xp home systems at

C:\Documents and Settings\pbyk\Local Settings\Application Data\Copernic

you can set the size of picts to ignore

i have it running in the background and it is set to update the database automatically if it senses no activity in x # mins

another free viewer is

http://www.freshdevices.com/freshview.html

does not have thw power of Breeze Browser

but again it is free

and has a small footprint

ken

Gerard

see

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...&hl=thumbs+plus

Dec 2 2003, 06:03 PM

Thumbsplus creates a database of your system - in my case the files it created 2 files on my system = 500+ mb's --- i believe it id 's every graphic file one has on the your system -- i have not spent time trying to figure exactly how it works, but i think it makes an MS Access file and i no longer have Access on my system so can't open it to see.

If one limits the criteria for Copernic i dont think it will have a big database -- as it is now on my one system it was 800mb +- -- but was willing to accept it for the convienence - have not looked at it lately -- i could not find no way of setting ctiteria with thumbs plus --therefore on reformatting my 2 systems i did not reinstall it

fresh view might have a database but have not found it

I believe Breeze browser also builds a data base but have not looked for it either

ken