WnSoft Forums

Creative Juices

Alan Lyons

Hi all,

Ronniebootwest got us all going with the thread "You also need to be a photographer too" It showed the need for some threads on the creative side of AV. So to set things going....

Some where in the dead of night an idea came to you to make an AV on the local castle.

What happens next? :rolleyes:

Regards,

Alan

:huh: I don't know - but, after watching a selection of Alan Green's wonderful shows last night (at our Camera Club), including a Christmas sequence set to a Cumbrian dialect poem, I woke in the middle of the night with the words

"A cold coming we had of it,

Just the worst time of the year

For a journey,

And such a long journey:

The ways deep, and the weather sharp,

The very dead of winter. "

- T.S. Eliot Journey of the Magi.

going round in my head. So I guess that's my work cut out for the next few months.

Where next?

Hi Roger,

These are the ones you have to do just to make them go away! :D

I see a selection of stark winter landscapes, leading to the warm glow of a light in the distance. The joy of a journy finished, the welcoming of a warm fire on a cold dark night. The music will have to be chosen with care though.

So away with you to the moors, and don't come back till you have a "Christmas Special" under your arm ;)

Best of luck,

Alan

Great idea Alan Lyons, but I wonder if the folks out there will respond to your call. I certainly hope so because there are some really good people on this forum and when they put there minds to it, they can produce excellent results.

Alan, I think that you have laid down 2 challenges here - (1) A history of a local castle and, (2) A Christmas Story.

OK lads and lassies, go to it and let us see what you are made of! Tally Ho!

Remember that it is not just a set of slides set to music that is wanted here; it is a story in pictures that will reap the rewards!

Ron West

Hi Ron,

My original idea was that once you have an idea for a sequence, what steps do you take to realise the show. The castle was only used as an example. If anyone wants to rise to the challange then by all means go for it. But I hoped to start a discussion on the processes we all use to get our shows on the screen. First thing though, let us all light a candle for Contaxman, I see he needs some light :D

Regards,

Alan

B) Thanks for the candle, Alan.

Well, for what it's worth, here's how I've made a start on this:

1. I've gone through the poem "Journey of the Magi - T.S. Eliot" and highlighted words & phrases that suggested visual images, e.g. "long journey", "ways deep", "weather sharp", "very dead of winter", "then at dawn", "three trees in the low sky", etc.

2. As this is essentially a religious poem, I've looked up a few reflections on it that have suggested metaphors that are not immediately obvious, e.g. the three trees could be an allusion to the Crucifixion, as could "dicing for pieces of silver".

It turns out that the first 5 lines of the poem are a direct quote from another person so I'll be following that up too.

3. The work done so far suggests images to take for the show - winter landscapes, church interiors including stained glass, crucifixes and bibles, other images suggestive of, and contrasting "A cold coming" with warmth and hospitality.

4. I need to make up my mind how to use the words of the poem in the show - probably a combination of narration and written text. So I'm now in search of a reader with the "right kind of voice" (whatever that might be).

5. The choice of music will be critical - likely to be a composite track to match the changes in mood as the story unfolds. Will I use sound effects/natural sounds recorded for the purpose? Copyright issues impinge on the choice of music.

Well that's it so far - still a lot to do so don't hold your breath! For starters I need some good frosty weather and also snow fall. (But some images I already have may prove useful).

:blink: That's my take on this - over to someone else to talk us through a show of theirs - whether already completed or in the pipeline. Let's hope this theme runs & runs - everyone could benefit from thinking about their work in this way, rather than just worrying about technicalities. (I know I'm much more confident in handling the technicalities - creativity comes much less readlily).

Just lit a few more candles for you ! :rolleyes:

Hope it gets light enough for you soon.

Off to get some rest and hope an idea hits me too!

Need to do something quickly for a fun sequence to illustrate using sound effects............??

Thanks for the candles - at present I may need a floodlight.

I hope you get struck by an idea for your new show soon.

In the meantime how about filling us in on your very evocative "What do you see" that I saw and enjoyed at Haworth last March?

OK

Will do a long write up on background etc and post it on the web site very soon. :D

Meanwhile keep diaries free for a new digital AV Competition next April

Saturday 9th at Cardiff & Saturday 16th at Aldbourne & Dublin.

Aldbourne will have a weekend of digital AV with opportunities for some to come along and just show & share their work if they don't want to enter the competition on the Saturday.

More details soon. :rolleyes:

Does living in the holyland in the city of Jerusalem count for anything in this string? What do you see as the start of a theme since we have no snow, no manger, lots of light (too bright) only cyprus trees, etc. Does anyone see an idea other than starting where it all began with the exception that Bethlehem is out of bounds <_<

Barbara

How about textures in the stonework of the ancient buildings using very slow fades?

Ron [uK]

I don't have access to the Holy Land, unfortunately, but would love to see someone else develop a show along the same lines.

In my case, I'm trying to illustrate the ideas expressed in "A cold coming..." rather than an interpretation of the biblical Epiphany story. Clearly there are many common features but important differences. As I read it, "A cold coming..." evokes far more than an interpretation of the season of Epiphany. It seems to me to be more about human emotions and relationships and it is this area I hope to explore.

The reason I posted my thoughts on this was not to suggest that others might try to do the same thing (although it would be an interesting exercise), but to encourage other people to share their thoughts on how they go about devising and developing an idea for a show.

This is what I understand the phrase "Creative Juices" to imply. There again, it wouldn't be the first time I've taken hold of the wrong end of the stick!

Hi all,

Sorry I've been off this thread for a while It's a long weekend here in Ireland so I have been out and about, alas as a driver and not as a photographer :( .

Any way, we all wait for the Contax masterpiece from the moors and dales. Just hope he doesn't end up on the Discovery Channel in 1000 years from now as the man frozen in the bog :D . It is great to see how we all can bounce ideas around to get a sequence going. I hope many more will use this idea to get advice on the content rather than the techinical side of things.Contaxman hsa begun to show us how a show can develop and how importent research and planning are to a good show. Simple little things can develop into great shows, and as I said before, the ones that don't leave you alone are the ones that make the best sequences,

Alan

Well... Barbara you wrote:

Does living in the holyland in the city of Jerusalem count for anything in this string? What do you see as the start of a theme since we have no snow, no manger, lots of light (too bright) only cyprus trees, etc. Does anyone see an idea other than starting where it all began with the exception that Bethlehem is out of bounds.

The fact that you live in Jerusalem maybe seems to make it difficult to make you see all the many subject you can make a presentation of.

What I think is very interresting is the people living in your country... the orthodox...the military...the contrasts...the normal life...religious feasts...the barriers...the sights, the people walking on the wall around Jerusalem (I have been there once...it was great) etc.etc.

Just shoot..and shoot...and shoot...teh normal life...and at sunsets there will always be the occasional opportunity for beautiful sunsets.

I hope you understand that maybe many people living outside your country are very curious to see the real life behind the usual violence coming to us from your very beautiful and interesting country. ;)

regards

Michel Verhoef

Michel

That seems a better idea than stones which all look alike owing to an old ruling from British Mandate period.

Religious festivals are out since I am not allowed to film on a religious holiday but can do so on Channukah which coincides with Christmas--so that is an idea. Every building has a candelabra lit at night. Might make for an interesting sequence. You are correct it is hard for me to see what is beautiful because we have limits to where we can go especially with an obvious camera.

Let me think about it from that perspective and try my hand at some abstract photos.

As always Michel you come up with great ideas!

Barbara :)

Barbara

My idea was not stones but textures in the stonework. There surely must be infinite variations. But good luck anyway.

Ron [uK]

Hello Barbara, thankyou for joining in on this thread. In the UK, all we hear about are the troubles that have befallen your country and we seldom hear (or see) the many good things about the Holy Land. I was there many years ago for just a fleeting day visit and saw some wonderful sights - unfortunately I was not allowed to take photographs so was unable to keep a record of my trip. It would be fantastic if you were able to provide us with a slide show of the many places of interest. Please do not be afraid of using he obvious shots, I for one would appreciate seeing, e.g. the places along the route of the cross (you could use all the stations as a theme) and all the other things associated with it.

Go for it Barbara, I look forward to seeing the final result.

Ron West

Hi Barbara,

Not to steal your thunder, but if you ever get the chance to see Gordon Gray's "Via Del La Rosa" it would be worth your while. It is a slide tape show so the chances of seeing it in the middle east are slim. The show follows the way of the cross but shows Jerusalem warts and all. It poses some very deep questions without taking sides. I have suggested to Gordon that he archive his work to digital. If "Via Del La Rosa" pops up I'll let you know.

I like the idea offered about the stones. I sure if you look at then for long enough the shapes and tectures will take on a meaning all of their own.

"Cast in Stone"???

Best of luck,

Alan

Will do a long write up on background etc and post it on the web site very soon

Have uploaded the background info to my sequence "What Do You see"

on my web site at www.digital-av.co.uk

Look on pages for Sequences then notes.

Maureen