WnSoft Forums

Cryptic error message [SOLVED]

Peter Kent

For years I produced AV files on an old Apple Mac running PTE  on Windows 7 on top of Parallels on top of the operating system El Capitan 10.11.6, a 32 bit operating system. When the new version of PTE Studio came out, that would run directly on a Mac, I installed it on my newer machine running the latest version of the operating system Big Sur 11.6, a 64 bit operating system. 

Both systems worked fine running a version of PTE Studio 10 until I tried to transfer an old pte file to the new machine. It produced the following cryptic message:- 

The document file-name.pte could not be opened. PTE AV Studio cannot open files in the PTE AV Studio Project format
The audio files and photographs transfer between the machines without a problem so it must be the pte file. The swap from 32 bit to 64 bit might be the cause of the problem. I would like to have all my old AVs on my new machine and be able to modify them. Is there any way of doing that without rewriting all the AVs on the new machine?

• Igor changed the title to Cryptic error message

Hi Peter,

I never seen such error message. Can you attach a screenshot? And let me know a version of PTE on the old Mac with Windows 7.

Probably the project file was damaged or some issue with file rights after copying.

We recommend to use Create backup in a ZIP command (from the main menu > File menu) to transfer a project to another computer.

P.S. I'll move this topic to the Troubleshooting section.

Thanks for your help. I finally managed to crack the problem by closing everything down, creating a new zip file from scratch, opening it on the machine running the Mac version, creating a new folder separate from any previous AV folders and then opening PTE on the mac and opening the new folder and pte file from PTE. 

• Igor changed the title to Cryptic error message [SOLVED]