WnSoft Forums

Burning a dvd from another computer

Stratus595

A friend brought over a copy of her slideshow today which was a pte.file saved to a cd. When I insert the cd and try to open the file in P2E it tells me that the there is an error and the pictures cannot be found. The slideshow strip at the bottom is just white boxes with blue writing that says that the file cannot load and the jpg is damaged. I know it is not damaged but cannot figure out why I can't open her show on my computer. She needs me to burn a DVD show for her but I can't figure this one out. Anyone out there have a clue as to what is going on?

I do have P2E on my computer. She just burned it to a cd as a PTE file. I tried copying the PTE file to a folder on my computer and then trying to open the file from the folder in P2E but no luck.

Can you not burn a pte. file or an exe. file from P2E and take it to another computer and then have that person burn a dvd for you?

Because P2E needs to be able to pull the "original" files from the source computer that the slideshow was made from and the files are contained? Is that what the error message is telling me?

This 'problem' has been answered so many times that it should be pinned somewhere on the Forum.

A remote PC loaded with the PTE Program can not open an imported pte*.File unless

all the Images and Sounds are contained within the Copy File you are trying to open.

Brian.Conflow.

Just adding to Brian's answer -

If you use the template feature, PTE will make a copy of all the required photos, sound, etc. Save your project file (.pte) and the template (.pt) to your cd. Then the CD (containing everything) should be able to be used to transfer everything and burn the final .exe show file onto DVD.

Can you not burn a pte. file or an exe. file from P2E and take it to another computer and then have that person burn a dvd for you?

Just to add to the replies by Brian and Robert, you can take an ".exe" file directly to your friend's computer and play the show, but you cannot burn a dvd from just the .exe file. You have to do as Brian and Robert have indicated - i.e. use the ".pte" file plus all of its accoutrements (image files, music files, sound clips, etc., in the same folder as the .pte file.)

Thank you everyone for your answers. I thought that I was very familiar with P2E until this situation arose. I had no idea how to remedy it and did not know about the .pt file.

I actually do agree that this should be a sticky note thread as Brian noted with his statement that this is an all too common question. Did I not look well enough because I could not find anything in the help section within the program regarding this. If it isn't there it should be as this very well could be a common situation for persons who constantly work between a desktop pc and a laptop. Just an idea.

Because I do work between a PC desktop and laptop I always save my PTE files onto my external drive. When I work on my laptop I have to change the external drive name so then all the PTE files will be recognised and work.

Have posted all this up previously.

see thread here

Contact me if you need the steps to change the external drive name on your laptop (ie just to let PTE recognise the location of files) :)

BW Maureen