WnSoft Forums

Transition effects question

Oaky

Does anyone know why the "fade in/out" and "hot blocks" are by default disabled while all other effects are by default enabled?

I'm just wondering if there is some good reason why they shouldn't be used; such as maybe they are more CPU hogs than the others so that it might not be good for slow systems.

Thanks, Oaky ;)

Oaky:

I don't think they are default "blocked". I use one or other as defaults frequently. I will never use the other transitions as defaults as they are too "cheesy" for my style of shows. But I do use one every now and then if it fits a particular image

The fade in/out is the best of any that I have seen on other software. But it is suspectible to "shuddering" depending on the power of your computer. I have not found a computer less than 2 years or so old that could not handle the fade in/out on a 800x600 image VERY smoothly regardless of the transition time. I have a P3 probably 300-400 MHZ, 256 RAM and it will smoothly handle fades as short as 800ms. The more powerful the computer, the larger the image that will fade smoothly at faster speeds.

The "cut" (hot blocks) works fine too.

Jim

Oaky, I am not able to answer to your first question, but I can confirm what Jim says about "fade" transitions. They demand a hark task from CPU (consider that a fade is very similar to a movie, with a fast succession of many slightly different images).

If you look at CPU usage during a fading slide, you'll see it often reaches 100%. And if processor is not powerful enough, the "fade" effect appears "jerky", not smooth.

Perhaps my reply will jog some of the "old guys" and they will correct me

If my memory serves me right the hot blocks and a couple others were elimanated in one of the betas by Igor, but he received so much flak from some members that were using them,that he put it back in. Now maybe he is giving a subtle hint not to use them -- :)

ken

Perhaps my reply will jog some of the "old guys" and they will correct me

If my memory serves me right the hot blocks and a couple others were elimanated in one of the betas by Igor, but he received so much flak from some members that were using them,that he put it back in. Now maybe he is giving a subtle hint not to use them --  B)

ken

Ken:

I am one of the "old guys" (not one of the young guys either ;) ) so I don't recall what you are saying.

But I can tell you that if it were not for the fade and the cut, I would not be using PTE. For my type of AV shows, those are the key !!! That is what brought me to PTE, as PTE has the best fade that I can find anywhere.

Yes, computers more than 2 years old sometimes struggle with the fade, but that is not enought to deter me.

Take them out and I am gone from PTE (plus about 5 others that I can name off the top of my head)

Jim