WnSoft Forums

Christmas slide show - Light Your World

isabel95

Had the 20D about 3 days when these pictures were taken. Most of these images were taken at ISO 800 or 1600 with the Canon EF 85mm f1.8 lens.

Isabel

Breathtaking !!!

Despite high sensibilities, sharp as drawn with a scalpel !!!

No other words.

Bravo !

Patrick

Thank you, Patrick for the voluminous praise! The praise should really go to the camera. Its high ISO performance is remarkable!

Isabel

:o

Hi Isobel

I would like to add my appreciation of your show - excellent. Can you please tell us a bit about how the photos were obtained, apart from the super EOS20D.

The exposures and colour balance were great, despit the show apparently having taken place in a large hall under artificial lighting. Did you use flash, or was the exposure within the range of the camera.? And did you have to adjust the white balance on the camera or using software? Also, was a tripod necessary? If no flash was ysed the results certainly demonstrate the superior ability of the larger sensor in the Digital SLR and the 20D in particular.

I want one!!!

Well done

Andrew aka Severn Bore

Hi Isobel

I would like to add my appreciation of your show - excellent. Can you please tell us a bit about how the photos were obtained, apart from the super EOS20D.

The exposures and colour balance were great, despit the show apparently having taken place in a large hall under artificial lighting. Did you use flash, or was the exposure within the range of the camera.? And did you have to adjust the white balance on the camera or using software? Also, was a tripod necessary? Sorry about the interrogation.If no flash was used the results certainly demonstrate the superior ability of the larger sensor in the Digital SLR and the 20D in particular.

I want one!!!

Well done

Andrew aka Severn Bore

Hi Isobel

The exposures and colour balance were great, despit the show apparently having taken place in a large hall under artificial lighting. Did you use flash, or was the exposure within the range of the camera.? And did you have to adjust the white balance on the camera or using software? Also, was a tripod necessary? If no flash was ysed the results certainly demonstrate the superior ability of the larger sensor in the Digital SLR and the 20D in particular.

I want one!!!

Well done

Andrew aka Severn Bore

Thank you, Andrew.

I have always loved the images from the Rebel, but the startup and wakeup times have been frustrating, since most of my photography is of cats and dogs. When the 20D came out and I saw it weighed less than the 10D and had practically non-existent startup and wakeup times, as well as excellent high ISO performance I had to have one. I fell in love with it instantly.

These pictures were taken on about the 3rd day I had the camera. I knew that jpg images straight out of my Rebel looked good with +1 settings on contrast, saturation and sharpness, that's the way I set up parameter one in my 20D. (Thank you, Dadou, for pointing me to those settings!)

We were seated way off to the right in the audience, but I chose a seat next to the videographer so there was some space clear of peoples' heads. I used the Canon EF 85mm F/1.8 lens without a tripod with some of the pictures on ISO 1600 and some on ISO 800., with partial metering set. I had very little exposure adjustments to make in my post processing with Photoshop. Some of the pictures had noise reduction, many did not. I think the noise reduction had to be applied on images which had lots of dark areas which I wanted to lighten up. Noise is always worse when you have to lighten an area!

If you want to see the EXIF information for these pictures you can go to my pBase gallery for the show:

http://www.pbase.com/isabe95/christmasbiltmore

While you are there, visit the ISO 3200 gallery for the 20D. The quality has astounded me.

Isabel

As always, Isabel, you did very good pictures !

And, as always so, you put the right music !

Very interesant for me to see other type of Christams ceremony .

Bravo !

daniel

Thank you, Daniel.

Trust me, not every American church puts on such a spectacular show!

The first half of the show was very "light-hearted" but the second half got into biblical stories, as evidence by scenes depicting the changing of water into wine, Lazarus coming to life, the woman at the well, and the stoning of the harlot. There also was a very moving scene depicting the crucifixion, with beautiful lightin, but I didn't think it was appropriate for this show, so I didn't include it, but the picture is in my pbase gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/isabel95/christmasbiltmore

Isabel

Yup, must be the camera. I've certainly never had stage-show photos turn out like that. ;)

They are very good photos you have accomplished and shared. Congratulations.

Yup! It definitely is the camera. I've taken show pictures before with other digicams...none compare with this one!

Isabel

Hi again Isobel,

Thanks for your very full response to my questions about your excellent pictures. I am now even more determined to get the EOS20D!

Andrew

Good decision! I will be looking forward to seeing your first presentation with 20D images!

Isabel