WnSoft Forums

PTE to MPG2

stonemason

I know that there is a next version wish-list thread (which I have included a plea for mpg output) but I thought I would see if there was any reason why PTE does not output mpg2 files direct instead of the very flakey avi frame serving route to be then converted in yet another app to mpg2. Is there a copyright issue with the mpg format. I would dearly love to see this included in PTE as this as far as I can see is its major weakness against ProSow Gold which outputs to several formats including exe and mpg2. What do admin and others think?

stonemason

Ken as I was asking what I felt was a question about the technical aspects of PTE and not asking how to create mpgs and DVDs (which I have been doing for quite some time now). I felt that this was the correct section of the forum to ask my question. I have read what has been said in the links you posted, and am pleased to hear that admin is giving this feature active consideration. I realise that most who use PTE do so to create EXE files and in this it is second to none. My point is that should people wish to output in different formats (ie to view on TV) most would have mpg1 or mpg2 (VCD SVCD and DVD) as their prefered choice. If size of PTE is a consideration then maybe the intermediate stage of avi output should be dropped in favour of mpg as avi files can easily be created from mpg's using the excellent (and free) VirtualDubMod.

regards

stonemason

stonemason

well we have a real hard time getting people to post in the "How to create video" section. when Igor introduced the option -- he wrote an extensive howto and it is kind of nice if video related questions are posted there for search purposes and i think mpg's are video related

If you are interested

Send me your email addie i will send you my complete recent log as to how i did a recent show to dvd

file sizes

I used 228 picts

21 mins of music -- 6 mp3's

the resulting exe was

318,717kb

the temp avi was 218,619 kb

the mpeg2 was 358,874 kb

and

I havent been able to master "the virtual dub" as yet :angry:

and i think that

imfinewine

would like to know some of yourvirtual dub tricks as well

ken B)

Thanks for your reply Ken, but either I am not explaining myself very well or you have missed the point of my question. My question was about the technical capabilities of PTE not how to produce mpg files. I have been producing slide shows in Slide/Tape and digital formats for several years now using video editing software and latterly PTE and have tried ProShow Gold the use of which led to me asking the question. PTE's output is in my opinion superior to ProShow Gold but should you wish to view your work using a standalone DVD player and TV set, then PTE's approach is long winded compared to ProShow. However I am hopefull that at some point the mpg facility will be available in PTE.

With regard to VirtualDub (which just works with avi files) and VirtualDubMod (which recognises mpg and avi files) there are excellent articles and tutorials available at

http://www.doom9.org and http://www.videohelp.com/

VirtualDub will also act as a frameserving app for PTE's avi output.

Regards

stonemason