WnSoft Forums

Advice Needed

jrb

Hi all,

Once again I need advice on a good NEW camera for a friends son. The young man is what I'd call an intermediate Photographer. Here is what he said he would like: SLR with both automatic and fully manual settings. The body and a basic lens should cost no more than $500. Is there anything out there that I could recommend he look at?

JRB

Beware of the brand loyalty flames, I intend none. I like the Nikon N65 and N80. I use the Nikon N70 which I like and many people do not because of the computer-like drill-down menus. I think all the Canon, Minolta, Olympus, Pentax, etc make great cameras in that price range. I originally chose Nikon because it seemed to feel good and it fit my face better than the equivalent Canon at that time.

Hi jrb

you certainally have enough cash for a decent second camera B&H of New York have a very good selection of

cameras on their web site and if you look for something from Canon Nikon Minolta Ricoh or any of the more popular brands you should not be displeased with any of these and adding to your kit later on you will have a better choice of gear and like I say its a tidy sum to have to spend

Regards, Clive.

Jrb, make a little effort and buy a wonderful Tachihara 4x5 Cherrywood field camera... I found it at Yahoo Store for $599.95. It is a little less convenient than a 35mm SLR, but your friend's son will really learn the photo technics!... :rolleyes:

Thanks to all. I think we'll take a look at the Nikon's. I've always thought Nikon made a great camera, but didn't realize they'd become so reasonably priced.

Guru - I'd love that camera with a digital back for myself!! :rolleyes:

Once again, thanks.

jrb

In the Feb 2003 issue of PCWORLD is a report on getting hosed when buying cameras

http://www.pcworld.com/features/article/0,...d,107855,00.asp

from my experience over the years it is advisable to get a brochure of several cameras you might be interested in beforehand and study what comes in the package. then go shopping -make sure all the pieces that are listed are there

-- most important is to check the warranty card -- if it is not honoured in the country you are living in move on.

if they wont open the box -- move on

good luck and do your homework

one of the worst mistakes is tourists who buy a camera out of country to save a few bucks and then when they get the box open the paperwork is either missing or in a foreign language

ken