WnSoft Forums

Nifty little tip for anybody with Quicktime

RodB

Hi

This is a pretty handy tip l came across , if you are playing a quicktime movie and want to get an image from anywhere in the movie , just use the slider to get to the point you want and just put the mouse on the movie and drag across to your desktop or an open photoshop doc and walah , you have a bmp image from the movie .

Regards Rod

I doubt that copyright infringement is a major issue with a single frame from a quicktime movie. Most movies made with quicktime are either done by a photographer with a digital still camera, who, in such case, is probably already the copyright holder - or probably a low resolution clip of a movie trailer made for general distribution. But each person using material must make the decision about copyright for themselves.

A handy tip, I think.

Lin

Hi Rod, it's an interesting tip indeed but it seems not to work on my Win98 machine...dragging the MOV still to the desktop does nothing although you can use Quicktime's own command to COPY and you can send it to the Clipboard...don't have Word so I can't test it in that...anyone else try it? By the way, for anyone who does have .MOV files---if you want to convert them to AVIs you can get a nice bit of freeware from

WWW.RADGAMETOOLS.COM

that will do the conversion for you. I do it mostly to make them easier to edit in regular windows based software.

Clive..your point about the copyright is taken but as many, many still digital cameras now produce 30 second or so movie clips in .MOV format let us not assume that people are stealing simply because they want to capture stills from them. Jim.

Re the copyright issue...

Wasn't there a thread going a few days ago about trying to stop someone copying images from the PTEexe file ???

Didn't the discussion go on for some length as to how to stop it.

Guess when it is someone else's copyright to be infringed on it is OK ?? ??

Hi

For the people where this didnt work , all l can think of is to make sure that you have the latest quicktime player installed , it works fine on my Win98se machine , l havent tried on my XPpro partition yet .

Oh , and apparantly this wont work on a Mac .

l find it very handy and l will prolly use it quite a bit as l output all my video editing and store my stock video in quicktime animation format , so l can easily take a good quality still very quickly from stock video ;)

This means a very high quality video camera can get you some excellant still images for multimedia and such very easily , it can be done with no real bother in Premiere or any other video editor , but this drag and drop method is just to easy B)

Regards Rod

Trying to stake out the moral high ground when there is no issue involved is pointless..no-one is suggesting involving theft of copyright or anything similar so calm down...just about any bit of graphics/audio software COULD be used towards swiping copywrited material---perhaps you should abandon all computing related activities--just in case. Protesteth too much.

In any event I for one can't seem to get this D&D method to work! My evil plans for World Dominatation via Rod's tip have been thwarted. Curses!

Jim.