WnSoft Forums

File Management System

Ronniebootwest

If, like me, you have loads of images piling up on your computer hard drive(s), you will know the wisdom of having an efficient method of storing and retrieving them. I would be interested to learn what systems you are all using to manage your immage collections.

1. Do you have a file naming procedure that will easily identify your images for retrieval?

2. What file structure do you use in Explorer?

3. What software do you use to assist you?

I have tried a few metghods now but am still on the lookout for the ultimate system.

Any suggestions

I use Thumbs Plus Version 7 which is brilliant.

There are a number of image management solutions available, and tey an easily rtepay their cost within a short time. However, some structure is still required, but provided you have such a structure, they work very well.

I don't buy into renaming files with titles. The main reason releates to basiic database theory. To find a file, te filename is the key, and once a key is assigned, it should not change, and it should be unique. Once you have this key, then you can assign data to this key via the database. You can add a title, group hem in to categories, etc, and then all this data is searchable.

I use IMatch, but any database, even one using e.g. MS Access, can provide most of this basic functionality.

Steve

I know that Ron (Ronniebootwest) who started this thread has found his solution but for the record following on from the article in the March RPS Journal, which I reported earlier, I succumbed and purchased iView Media Pro 2. Ordered it one day and received a boxed set first thing the next day by post - excellent service.

I have been able to set it up so that it includes the features which I used on the Spreadsheet system I used for my colour slides. There is a Forum just the same as PTE. I put a query on there this morning and already I have received the answer that I needed.

Now I have the task of annotating my first catalogue of 850 images. Maybe I should take the advice that Barry gave earlier, but even Peter has been known to make a sequence out of rubbish :P

Ron [uK]

Ronwill,

I am glad that you have also found a solution to your cataloging problem. I would be interested in knowing what method you use to cataolg your images, particularly the filenaming. Do you, for example, have just one catalog or do you create many different ones? In my case, I first of all create main sections in my catalog, e.g. People, Places, Family, Holidays, Portraits, Landscapes, Seascapes etc. Then I allocate this category to each image.

Ron West