WnSoft Forums

Strange problem with timeline edits

Ed Overstreet

Help!

I'm suddenly having a very vexing problem with a show that I'm working on. It just started today; I've finished three other PTE shows in the past couple of weeks and never ran into this, then or in the past year an a half.

I'm building what will be a 45-slide show with a 6-minute MP3 sound file. The images are all under 200KB in size, and are all sized 1024x768 (black canvas with generally 800x600 px slides on top of the canvas). I'm using a very recent P4 laptop with XP and 1 GB of RAM, so the problem shouldn't have anything to do with file sizes. Plus I'm not doing anything I didn't do in the other three shows (or if I am, it's something pretty subtle that I haven't noticed). :ph34r:

I'm about 2/3 through the production of the show. At about slide 37, suddenly and for no apparent reason, once I've added a new transition point to the end of the current string, if I try to tweak the position of the point on the timeline at all, in either direction, for any distance, when I let go of the mouse button that slide jumps about 30 seconds to the left of its original position (no matter where I move it). Moreover, the four or five preceding slides on the timeline also shift, and they're all overlapped (they weren't before). To add to the joy, several of the slides that were originally associated with those shifted transition points have been replaced by other slides that I hadn't even added to the timeline yet (they were however in the light table), and the slides that have been replaced have re-appeared out of order near the end of the other slides awaiting entry into the timeline -- in no apparent order.

It is now impossible for me to adjust any transition point on the timeline without totally messing up several other points in the show.

This problem has replicated in 4.4 beta 7, 4.4 beta 6, and 4.3 final release. It persists even after closing the software, rebooting the computer, and relaunching the project in PTE.

Has anyone encountered something this weird before? Any tips as to what's wrong?

I could start the whole project over again with a new file name, but I hate to throw several hours of work out the window like that.

Any useful suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks

Ed:

I won't be much help, but did you try re-installing the software ?

Doesn't sound as though you have many other options.

(Selfishly I am glad it didn't happen with your shows for the April 12th Showcase, I have them safely stored on my computer)

Don't worry, please!

It would be great if you could send me .pte project file (no files more) and instructions how to repeat this bug. In this case I'll quickly fix this problem (if it exists), maybe even tomorrow in beta #8.

Thanks for the very quick replies, Igor and Jim.

I'm really puzzled now. In desperation, I reconstructed my project from scratch -- same images, same music file, just started over with a new project in the same folder. Aside from the tedium of replicating what I'd just done, and trying to remember it all, no problemo. It worked fine. The problem never repeated.

No idea why. A corrupted file maybe? Gremlins in the afternoon? An early start on April Fool's Day? Argghhh. At least the show is working OK and PTE seems OK.

Igor, I'll see if I still have the original project file and will send it to you. But unless someone else has run into the same problem, maybe it's not worth worrying about. Strange things do happen under the midnight sun ... (though I'm not Robert Service and this isn't the Yukon, and I'm probably misquoting Service ...)

Sorry for the panic, but it was VERY disturbing at the time ....

Computers, you gotta love 'em, eh? :ph34r:

OK Igor I just emailed the PTE file to the support address, also included the PTE file from the version that is now working OK for comparison. I used the same slides and the same music file in both projects, also both in the same folder on my computer. Good luck, I'll be very interested to hear what you think might have been the problem (in the I hope very unlikely chance this happens to me again :ph34r: I don't mind making mistakes or finding strange things on my computer, as long as I know what caused it and how to fix/avoid it next time :blink: )

Thank you! I've repeated this bug with your .pte project file, found

exact reason of this problem and fixed it.

Please download newest beta #8 (during a hour on the forum)

In case of your slide-show (created in earlier betas) this problem will repeat again only one time and then never will occur again. Not in this project, not in another, not in new projects.

And thank you, Igor! Your reply that you found and fixed this seemingly very esoteric bug (but very disturbing all the same) in about 20 hours after I first reported it on this forum. Now THAT is what I call SERVICE :lol::lol::lol: Boy, am I impressed :D