WnSoft Forums

PhotoStory 3

bharkins

Have you guys and gals tried MS PhotoStory3 - go to http://tinyurl.com/4f869 . No where near P2E but MS has managed to provide zoom and pan which we hope Igor will get to one of these days. PS3 is not at the level of transisions, titling, music placement and I could not see how to control the pan/zoom - at least I couldn't find it. However, it's got what P2E needs - pan/zoom!

Bill

Bill:

Igor already is working on it.

He is hoping to have it in the next series of beta once the current beta is released as an "official" version.

I am looking forward to pan and zoom too,

BUT

Based on shows prepared by others using a competing AV softyware that does have pan and zoom, I have a lot of hestitation.

Many of those shows over-used the pan and zoom leaving viewers dizzy.

One has to remember to show off your images, not the software.

I have to agree with all the words in Jim's reply particularly the words after "BUT". The panning did make me feel dizzy in a sequence I saw recently. Somehow it is different to good panning in video, although that doesn't wamt to be done too often. With regard to zooming, in the sequences that I have seen, - there is a need to zoom to something specific rather than just a general zoom to nothing in particular.

John

bharkins:

Are you pleased with the results from MS PhotoStory3. How well does the P&Z work? Does the software produce a .exe file or must you have MS PhotoStory3 installed on the computer that you run the show in? Maybe you could post an example show with P&Z?

thanks,

ken

Photostory3 works well enough and it's fun to play with but it's not in the same class as PTE. You can control the panning/zooming actions on each individual slide or leave them off alltogether but if you let it add its own pan/zoom directional choices you might end up with some funny results---people's head cut off, panning someones shoes etc etc. You can add a background track of music and add a spoken comment and/or text to each slide. It doesn't produce EXE files but rather Microsoft's WMV video file which is not too bad in terms of quality (you can choose the output size from 320x240 up to 1024x768) and you can then use your own DVD software to convert it to MPEG and write it to a disc for TV play. Photostory is a free download from MS though you'll have to agree to be checked for non-pirated Windows before you can actually get it...not that this would be a problem for the honest boys and girls on this forum. If I remember correctly you also have to be updated to XP Service Pack 2. It's a fun little slideshow maker and worth a look at but Igor doesn't have to worry about it stealing any of his loyal followers...it's aimed at a different group. I think Sonic now offers a $20 plug-in for it which allows you to write a DVD directly from Photostory3. And don't get an old copy of Photostory2, it's a lesser animal.

Jim