WnSoft Forums

To Zip or not to Zip that is the question.

I am contemplating the issues around hosting P2E presentations on a website. The normal way seems to have them in a zip file that can be downloaded and then unzipped. I’m wondering if there is any major issue with just hosting presentations as an exe file.

The readers of this forum will be familiar with zip files etc. but the concept of unzipping it is a black art to an awful lot of web users. Hosting a file that can be downloaded and run with the minimum of operations would be the most user friendly as far as I can see.

I am interested in what your thoughts on this issue are.

Steve.

Another reason for zipping is that you can include other files along with the presentation.

Files such as a .TXT file describing what the show is about or how you created it.

Windows XP has Zipping/unzipping built-in to it so there is no longer any need for people to buy additional software. I would have thought that most people know how to unzip files these days. In XP it even uses a wizard to help you.

Andy

Some ISP's (mine, for example) won't host .exe files on their servers for security reasons. As long as your ISP allows you to store .exe file then it's up to the person who downloads to deal with the possibility of getting an exe through the various potential filters from anti-virus programs resident on their own PC.

One way of getting around this is to rename the .exe file to .ex and remind the person who downloads to change the file extension back to .exe. Most, but of course not all users have enough familiarity with their systems to rename a file - that is providing they actually read the note telling them to do so. I've tested this on major forums and about 10% respond with "I can't get the slideshow to run" and the reason is invariably that they failed to read the note to rename the file.

Best regards,

Lin

Some web hosts, (mine included) send out automatic searches overnight and remove automatically any exe files. My provider started doing this just this week after a year of my site being with them. Suddenly all my avi demos disappeared along with any exe file not zipped.

You would think they would send an email first to allow you time to adjust all the links.

Zipping seems to be the only way, but such an easy get around I wonder why all the fuss.

Barry

Zip or Exe or Autorun Installer

Yes it's quite true about various Servers 'killing-off' AVI's/Exe's/Zip Files ~ but there is another way ~ the Autorun Installer.

If you are familiar with 'downloading' Programs such as Norton, Microsoft, Adobe etc,etc;you will see that they all use an 'Autorun Installer' which offers many installation options.

When you start to download using these packagers,the first thing you see is a colour 'Splash Screen' giving details of the Program, the EULA, Installer Notes etc,etc.

Secondly it asks for a download location - this usually involkes a 'Permission to Download' request - you say yes, and continue on following the Instructions. The Installer usually creates a Folder (with Icon) and proceeds to download the program contents into the Folder. Thereafter it asks you ~do you wish to Install the Program ~ say yes ~ whereafter it does that and creates a Startup Menu Shortcut and a Desktop Shortcut.

Prior to that:-

Good Anti-Virus Software will scan the Folder,clear it, and ask you for permission to proceed ~thats your choice~

These utilities are available from www.snapfiles.com - simply type in the search window....Autorun Installers.

Brian.Conflow.

I’m wondering if there is any major issue with just hosting presentations as an exe file.

I am interested in what your thoughts on this issue are.

Steve.

Steve,

Be very mindful also that if you allow “.exe” files to be stored on your server you have the potential of allowing someone to upload a 'supposed presentation', that when executed on your server, instead of actually being downloaded first, can allow very ugly things to happen!!

Best of luck with your venture!

Regards,

Bill :)

Steve & Bill,

Yes, I absolutely agree with Bill, be very careful about "parking" Exe's on a Server unless they have been Encryptionated and Password protected ~ even then you get silly people trying to download and open "Clone Exes" without a password or even worse downloading from an un-secure site ~ Aahhh,thats life !

Brian.Conflow.