WnSoft Forums

Transition effects

LarryB

I've seen some really interesting transition effects on a couple of the demo shows I downloaded that don't appear to be a part of the default offerings of PTE. I was wondering how these effects are accomplished? Is there a utility offered that will create different effects? Or perhaps a site where different effects can be downloaded? And if so, how do you incorporate them into the PTE program?

Thanks!

:unsure:

LB

Larry, with PTE you can do almost all without any external utility but an image editor...

"Travail" by Michel is a very good example of this. You must only use your fantasy, your imagination and your creativity...

Perhaps my terminology isn't correct. What I'm referring to is how one image transforms into the next. For instance, one of the default effects is called "page effect (horizontal/vertical)" and has 4 selections. Left to right, right to left, top to bottom, and bottom to top.

I saw a show where the transition/tranformation effect was one image dissolved into what looked like white pixie dust and flew off the screen and the next image started out as white pixie dust and flew into the screen and "reverse dissolved" until the full image appeared.

Another similar idea might be....the "exiting" image being crumpled up like a piece of paper and the "entering" image being uncrumpled.

Are you saying that these effects can be accomplished using Photoshop? If so, I've got a lot of homework to do!

:(

LB

Anyone remember the old video editing program that ran on the Commodore Amiga computer - the "Video Toaster?" It had a transition it called "falling sheep." It looked like sheep raining down from the sky. Sure... it was funny.. the first couple times. After that it was just cheesy.

I use one transition 99.9% of the time - the fade, (or as it's called in the video world, the dissolve). If you look at most of the PTE shows on Beechbrook, you will also most often see dissolve transitions. They are classic and PTE has a very smooth dissolve (unlike those you see on programs that make -- ugh... .mpg "movies" on their way to slideshows).

I know, many cry for more transitions (and some people also really think the "velvet Elvis paintings" are art). :( Each to their own I guess, but as for me I'd much rather see Igor devote his efforts to something really -useful- rather than add a whole lot of cheesy transition effects.

>Rant mode off<

Ken,

Yes, it was a photographer's show I downloaded from the BeeckBrooke site.

Truelight,

Pardon me for asking! I went back and re-read my original question and NOWHERE did I ask for the author of PTE to spend any time creating ANYTHING.

Without knowing what type of presentation I am working on, how can you possibly know what would be appropriate? I'm happy that you are satisfied with using one transition for everything. Personally, I find that incredibly boring.

Uninformed responses like yours are the primary reason I seldom post on internet forums. I apologize for my momentary lapse of restraint here.

:(

LB

Larry, please provide name of show -- i thought i had them all and dont remember any special effects -- we had a little scare :) last novemeber were norton and another co's anti virus software siad a couple shows were infected -- at that time myself and others downloaded all the shows and verified they were aok :(

ken

Larry,

What specific effects are you referring to, that you saw on the demo shows? Were they PTE shows?

The only special transition effects currently available in PTE are the ones shown on the "Project Options / Effects" or "Customize Slide / Effects" menus. There are more choices there than I, myself, will ever use.

However, there are ways of accomplishing other effects simply through the dissolving of appropriate images into other images specially created to achieve the desired effect. For example, with text, you can create a duplicate of an image, add text to it, and then dissolve one into the other using one of the transitions, and you will see the text changing while the background remains the same.

Alternatively, you can simulate motion by fast-dissolving many similar images into each other (see Boxig's "Effects" slide show created with only a few 1-pixel black slides, each with a different image object.) Each is less than 1-kb in size, so they load and show quickly.

Although there are many other slide show programs with more fancy transition effects than PTE has, such as burning edges, different block effects, crystal growth effects, etc., to many of us these are merely gimmicks, and actually detract from the impact of the images themselves.

There is nothing more effective than a show with the right choice of images and music, and everything properly choreographed and synchronized and tailored to the interests of the audience. The results will simply "blow you away!". IMHO, at least! :(

Ciao,

Al

"The results will simply "blow you away!". IMHO, at least!"

Yes too true Al

As hopefully Fields of Fire shows. In its original form everything was dissolves, that's all we had (apart from cuts) with 35mm projectors - albeit 3 projectors which PTE cannot emulate, so continous dissolves are impossible (How I wish we could with overlapping). With the PTE version I did add 2 extra effects because they added to the overall feel, one is so subtle it is better than the original. But to have added more would have spoilt it.

Same odd adage 'Less is More' :(

Mike

Mersea Island

Hi All,

I downloaded "TRAVAIL" and could not get it to run as a slideshow, anyone know why it would not run?? I cannot find anything thats appears to look like a exe. file there appears to be two music files also seven jpgs. one of which is breathtaking ... "lac.jpg" ....bet Michael hung around there for a while Anyway I Know the members who have already replied to this will be able to answer this for me so thanks in advance What has this got to do with LarryB's ??????? nothing I guess But good luck with your choice of transitions and I know sometimes our opinions get the better of our humility but I am sure we do not mean to be too critical (little rascal in the keyboard takes over our brain) Keep on Rocking Larry,

Regards Clive.

Michel, I too downloaded your "Travail.zip" (my "Data" disk is E:), and obviously I got the messages "Pictures [...] not found" and "Sounds [...] not found".

I think it could be better to modify the .PTE file placing all your pictures and sounds in C:\travail (for example), and add a little *.txt file saying the zipped file has to be extracted in this directory.

Not all have a D: HDD, but all MUST have C:\ !

May I add my thought about transitions?

I like transition effects. There are several very pleasant in XatShow, and a lot (often really fancy) in ProShow, for example. I like them very much.

But I agree with Rick (Truelight), Jim, Al and Mike. I find transition effects very amusing, and I play willingly with them. But lastly I use almost only dissolves ("fade"), that allow spectacular and really interesting effects (see e.g. Michel's example).

Different and original transitions can be used, as Al said, to "blow away" folk, to show all "how skilful I am": gimmicks, nothing else.