WnSoft Forums

One Week Alone

LumenLux

Jeff, your fine show caught me at a very receptive/vulnerable time. I returned last night from only a couple of days of "other-world" enjoyment in our southeast Utah canyonlands. I had just given my own photos a first viewing and then spotted your new show. I have always enjoyed your photos but was surprised and even more interested when I realized where you had experienced your "one week alone."

You have shown some very nice photos of a very beautiful and interesting area. Of course I don't know all the spots but recognize some of the "icons" of the area. You have some really nice views shared in the presentation, and not just of the "required" shots. But even the "known" locations are pleasingly interpretted.

I am intrigued by your spending the week apparently by yourself. I wonder if you would like to comment on how you feel that may have effected your appreciation and photography of the area?

In my most recent quick trip, I was not alone more than 45 minutes. But the subject had come up among my group (family) about how different various locations might seem if one were alone there. There are so many ways it might make a difference, it might be interesting to hear your thoughts. I would also mention for the sake of those who don't know the area: There is much beauty available from the "car window" but much more for anyone willing to walk. And there are areas of great beauty that can be accessed by 4-wheel-drive vehicles only. But only the most foolhardy would attempt some of those trails alone. :lol: One of the published guides to the area points out that the minimum towing service from some points would be $1500 - if available at all.

But my question is more directed to your philosophical/spiritual thoughts and your technical quest for great photos. Do you feel you can get better photos if you don't have to "worry" about holding up other fellow travelers, etc. As you sit with your boots in a photo watching the sunset and snapping each changing moment is it always exciting or do you get "antsy". You know, all the personal stuff.

On a side note, where were the deer you photo'd? We had also had a short discussion as to where deer "are" and "are not" a possible factor in that environment. And finally, did you know in advance that you would not be allowed to go some places if you had your trusty dog even in your truck? Or did he keep quiet under the covers?

Like LumenLux, I was impressed by the images but I wanted to know more of your thoughts as they progressed through the Sequence. Only at the very end did a glimmer of them emerge and what you said (wrote) was so important! I wanted more of this and I also wanted to HEAR it from you amongst all that impressive music. I didn't want a running commentary jut a few thoughts about what you rated important during your wanderings.

In fact what I wanted to hear was similar to my feeling from Lumenlux's "It's not about the fish". I have been trying to get his thoughts expressed in the same way as he is now asking you to express yours! Interesteing - very intertesting !!!

One other thing distracted me from your superb images, the continuously changing format. I suppose I get so used to seeing a 1024 x 768 filling up of the screen, that I find any change from it without apparent reason, disturbing. Maybe I need to get more used to this and then just concentrate on absorbing the beauty of what you are saying through your individual images.

Thanks anyway; I enjoyed what you showed me.

In fact what I wanted to hear was similar to my feeling from Lumenlux's "It's not about the fish". I have been trying to get his thoughts expressed in the same way as he is now asking you to express yours! Interesteing - very intertesting !!!

I concede Peter, it is interesting. :huh: I'm not sure what it means.

Although I am interested and asked those questions of Jeff, I am not sure I would want him to include the information in the sequence itself. I would like to know the information, and you would like to know. But the "message" that the artist intended may be better conveyed with just the photos. (?) The issue continues to be of interest to me and I will get back to you over at CreatingSlideShows.com. Just so much going on - but that is what we live for, eh?

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the positive feedback. I know, it has only been more than a year and you probably have forgotten the slideshow, but I will respond to your questions anyway.

I hadn't traveled alone in a quite a while and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. Since I had an open agenda I could be totally flexible and just stop and shoot pictures whenever the mood hit. I've camped and backpacked all my life, and for many years I was single and couldn't wait for friends' schedules to free up, so I just hit the trail solo. It really is a good way to photograph an area.

You mentioned how much it might cost if you need a tow. Years ago there was a Texaco station in Moab and there was a wall filled with snapshots of various vehicles being pulled out of terrible places. Most were very large SUVs but one was a sub compact street car being pulled out of a steep canyon. I asked the station manager what the driver of that particular car was thinking? He said the fellow driving the car saw the sign at the trailhead which said ATV Trail and thought it meant Automatic Transmission Trail. Like the old saying goes, "A fool and his money are soon parted".

My philisophical/spiritual thoughts about solo photography are pretty mixed. For me being solo is fine and makes for keen eyes and senses in general. Your mind doesn't get confused or sidetracked and truly you have nothing else to do but enjoy the beauty and wait for a photo op. I don't know if I get antsy, but I do like to keep moving. I rarely camp in the same place two nights in a row. This drives my wife nuts. We did spend a whole week in one spot once...Davis Canyon Utah, the last week of the year. Our low temperature was 13 degrees. I had a blast, and so did our dogs. I shot some of my favorite Video on that trip. We had fog and snow and it was just like a winter wonderland. I love motion photography too and have been making short video travelogues since 1990. I only rediscovered still photography in 2001 when I bought my first digital camera. Now I never know what camera to grab when I'm out and about. I definitely prefer multimedia presentations though.

On the other hand, even though I don't stay put long, I will stop whenever the mood strikes, and have even made camp after driving only a couple miles from a previous camp. If I find something I like, I stop and soak it in.

The deer were on the White Rim Trail. I think one of them might have been hurt, but couldn't be sure. They were just above the road. There are a lot of mule deer in southeastern Utah. I've seen large groups many times.

As for your last question...about the dog...yes I did know. I learned the hard way in 1997. I was guiding a small family group around the area. We had two separate vehicles and had a lot of fun 4 wheeling the BLM trails in the area. When it was getting late I thought we could take the Potash Trail back to Moab. About one mile of the trail runs through Canyonlands NP with the rest being BLM. I thought my dog being in my car and not setting foot on the ground wouldn't be a problem. I told the NP ranger that it was late and we were just taking a scenic drive back to Moab and what was the harm of me having a dog in my car. Rules are rules. Funny thing...the park ranger recommended the scenic overlook where dogs are OK. I said "you mean to tell me I can take a dog to the busiest spot in the park but I can't pass over a very lonely spot on a dirt road? The ranger wasn't amused.

Thanks again for all your feedback and questions. I enjoyed them. And sorry it took me this long to notice there was a wonderful forum.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for the considered reply. Now I will have to pull up your show and watch it again to make the questions and answers more meaningful. I won't mind doing that at all. I had to smile about your dog experience with the ranger. I think most the rangers are good and often reasonable. But I too have found they don't necessarily want to hear a visitor's logic about a "law." On a different note regarding a ranger - On my last venture into Canyonlands, I was viewing a map and I asked the ranger about a certain area or route: "Is there anything worthwhile to see in that area?" He righteously retorted: "Have you ever seen anything here that is not worthwhile. I immediately agreed with him and acknowledged my thoughtless question. :)