WnSoft Forums

Up Close and Personal- with a mountain

LumenLux

Already 80+ have downloaded this presentation. I would invite comments from anyone, please. Warning, this AV of a recent adventure runs almost 20 minutes. This is a large file, but on a fast server. The download speed on broadband seems to be usually more than 400kb / sec. I hope some can enjoy it.

I enjoyed your presentation - but I love mountains, looking at them, walking among them and climbing them. I felt as if I was coming along with you on your adventure as you passed through the different vegetation zones. I even felt worried when I saw someone climbing up a snowfield in soft-soled shoes with no ankle support – a definite no-no where I come from.

The black screen at the beginning seemed to be on for a long time to me, but the vocal intro kept me looking. As a counterpoint, I found the end a bit abrupt and felt that a short outro would have been appropriate.

Twenty minutes is much longer than I would normally expect to watch a single presentation for, but you kept me engaged all of the way through. Nice hike, wish I’d been there.

Hi Lumenlux

As always I really enjoyed your presentation, throughout the users of PTe everybody has their own special skill in producing presentations and yours is definitely the ability to tell a story.

When ever I see one of your presentations I always feel like I am right there with you all the way!

My only comment for improvement would be perhaps cutting back on the showing of similar images of the same thing, the waterfall seqence springs to mind though having said that it was a very unusual waterfall and I didn't worry me too much getting so much exposure to it.

Thank you Steve and Andrew. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Often, comments point out things that the photographer/author has indeed considered and it is nice to hear viewers reaction to those things. I like to respond and sometime generate further informative discussion. My only hesitancy, is that sometimes a response seems to pre-empt comments from others. I hope this is not the case this time.

Steve, I too questioned the long black screen. Originally, my "scripted" vocal intro was about 4.5 minutes long! I realized that would never do! When I chucked the scripted intro and free-winged it, the result was still almost a minute and a half. I decided to try the "technique" of few slides and dark time to build a little anticipation. I guess it may have worked in your case. I hope no viewer gave up before the action started.

I'm glad you both enjoyed sharing the experience of the hike. That is a compliment to me, as I really like others to have even a taste of what I feel are great experiences. As you suggest Steve, such experiences are maybe enjoyed most by those with similar experiences as you have, but may also stimulate other individuals to do "something" they enjoy. Personally, my own shows are a great reminder to me that there is always a reward when we make an effort.

I think you are right too Andrew, about many authors having a particular "skill" or technique. I always remember certain "highlight" skills from your presentations. Some of your transitions blend great photos in amazing ways, etc.

re: length of show and (over?)use of certain similar photos -

Once again, both of these concerned me, but were done anyway. My actual "target" audience is typically very small, that is maybe only the event (hike) participants and possibly their families. For them, the twenty minute length is "bearable" and is really required to adequately document the experience of the participants. It is a satisfying bonus if this larger audience of PTE users can also enjoy and comment.

As for the multitude of similar shots of the second waterfall -

I at first intended to use only 3 or 4 "frameable" best of the bunch. But my experience at that water fall was extraordinary. I found myself extremely energized by the scene. I was intensely drawn to the power and the beauty of this, as you noted, unusual, waterfall. I wanted to run all around, experience the falls from every angle. And the spray would drench me and my camera and just make me want more. I was just totally taken in by the personality of the scene. At last, I decided the large number of shots, with fairly short screen time each, might best convey something similar to what I felt. Whether this worked, only helpful viewers like yourselves can tell me.

"climbing the snowfield in soft-soled shoes with no ankel support - a definite no-no where I come from"

Where are you located Steve? I suspect it is a definite no-no here too. :o Much of the time, I was too afraid to look anywhere else but at the shoes in front of me, so I noticed, not only soft, but wet, etc. I noticed the same thing when I looked at the photos to which you refer. Actually, your observation leads me to want to tell the "rest of the story" which would take another 20 minutes. But briefly here is a 30 second version.

As you probably noted, we had hidden our backpacks near our over-night camp and then made the snow-climb and summit with small fanny packs. The remaining snowfield was not only expected, but needed, to get us over some of the boulder fields. But I had not envisioned how steep the snow climb would be. Didn't look bad from the distance, but once on the ever-steepening angle, I was very concerned. It would not be stretching the truth to say, for me, it was a prayerful climb. After the snowfield, I found the remaining boulders to be preferable. At least I felt my own caution and skill might have a more direct bearing on my safety than when I was on the snow. After reaching the summit, I had to break it to my fellow hikers that I just did not feel it wise to attempt going down the same route. Our only alternative was to go down the other side of the mountain which meant abandoning our back packs we had cached near our previous camp. We made it safely down the mountain Saturday night, but without the packs. I had a day of rest Sunday while I convinced two new hikers to hike Monday with me back up to our camp and bring back our packs. So, I got another 5 miles without packs, another 5 miles with packs and another couple of hundred photos. As I excitedly looked at the "rest of the story" photos, I then told my self, "no, have mercy, end the presentation, abruptly if necessary. Maybe I can pull an old hollywood trick and offer a sequel. ;)