WnSoft Forums

Transition - problem

The oldie

I used to be an old fashioned av worker with twin projectors and all that. I a much pleased with PTE and have made some nice little starting sequences. However I seem to be getting some jerkiness on the fade ( I only use really the fade not the other fancy style transitions). The jerkiness seems to be more on the shorter length fades say under about 6 secs or so. It also is more pronounced on my laptop than on the PC. Anyone come across this problem. Also will the final v4 sort it out?

Incidentally the new v4 beta with the shaded timeline is super. Generally congrats on very nice programme.

Welcome Oldie

I still do use the old fashioned two projector show system as I don't have a laptop or digital projector yet :(

But I am using PTE for situtations that don't need a laoptop/propjector.

The jerkiness you refer to is a function of the processing power your computer(s) have in combination with the size of your images and sound file.

I have tried PTE on many machines and aside from one old machine that froze solid, the shows will run on most computers less than two years old. But you usually need a Pentium 3, and 256 RAM minimum. Keep the images and sound files at reasonable sizes.

I use 800x600 images at about 100-150kb with fades as short as 1 second with no complaints.

PTE has the best FADE that I have found after trying many.

Hope that helps.

Thanks JRR.

I think since posting my problem I have realised that I am probably using too large files. AVWorld Mag Forum has been discussing file sizes and it suggests that about 200kb is fine for AV work with 1024 x768 size.

I have tried this and it seems to have answered the problem.

As you are a two projector AV man you might be interested in our excellent AV World Magazine. Its the best for AV both analogue and digital in UK, and is full of contributions from the best amateurs in UK. They have a very good forum.

The website is www.avworld.org/

All the best,

The Oldie

Oldie,

One other important consideration, as you may already know (it has been discussed here in this forum before) is that all processor- and RAM-intensive programs open in the background (e.g. Photoshop, automatic email-checking programs, screen-savers which kick in before the end of the show, etc.) should be closed out before running your PTE show.

Alrobin

Al,

Many thanks for further thoughts on the smooth transition situation.

I will remember the bit about the various progs running before playing sequence.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this forum but do people use the excellent Cooledit sound programme for their background music ?. Although it produces WAV files, these are easily converted to MP3. It is a super programme and cheap to download.

All the best

Alan

The Oldie in UK.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this forum but do people use the excellent Cooledit sound programme for their background music ?. Although it produces WAV files, these are easily converted to MP3.

I use CoolEdit and like it a lot. I use it primarily for finding transition points, and if Igor displays the waveform above the timeline, I'll be able to do all of that in PTE. But it also works great for editing sound files.

BTW, my version of CoolEdit (CoolEdit 2000) writes MP3 files.

Harold

Alan (the Oldie in the uk)

I think there are quite a few using COOL EDIT (With the Studio plug-in). It is very good.

I had been using Acoustica MP3 Audio mixer which did all I ever needed, for substantially less £££, but I went to Cool Edit when I needed to adjust the tone of a pre-recorded narration before mixing it with music.

Alan, as far as I know several of us use Cooledit 2000, an excellent and very versatile sound editor. But many say Acoustica Mp3 Audio Mixer ($25) is enough for their needs. Unluckily, this little nice mixer has very few editing features, but to make some processes we can use free Audacity, really interesting.

But personally I prefer Sound Forge by Sonic Foundry, maybe together with Dart XP Pro...

Hi Alan (the Oldie)

I'm sure you're really very young at heart!

Many thanks for your nice comments about the AV World web site..

excellent AV World Magazine. Its the best for AV both analogue and digital in UK, and is full of contributions from the best amateurs in UK. They have a very good forum.

The website is www.avworld.org/    

:)

Hope you can make it to the Super Southern Digital AV weekend on March 22nd ? I also hope lots of PTE Forum members may be sending in entries to the competition on March 23rd? It is the first International digital AV Comp.

We had a great day yesterday here in Wiltshire with Barry Beckham as a speaker. Anyone interested in seeing his web site, this link has superb digital AVs you can download.........

http://www.barrybeckham.co.uk/tutorials/tu...udio_visual.htm

I have bought his digital AV CD and found it very useful for beginners. Everyone I recommended it to & bought it also found it very good value as it has Photoshop tutorials & some sound advice. He uses & demonstrates PTE.

Could I make a suggestion that when the thread changes from it's original title eg here ........."Transition - problem

some of the excellent new topic info contained in it is transferred to a new thread ........

eg here we've got some good information on sound programmes following Alan's question....

do people use the excellent Cooledit sound programme for their background music ?. Although it produces WAV files, these are easily converted to MP3. It is a super programme and cheap to download.

Thanks to Igor once again for working so hard and so fast to bring out the latest Beta version 4. :)

Best wishes

Maureen

Harold, could you share a little info re your technique above?  (Waveform for transition points)

Sure.

CoolEdit displays a scrollable, zoomable waveform over a timeline. For many types of music, it turns out that desirable transition points occur at waveform peaks. So it's simply a matter of finding the right waveform peak and setting what CoolEdit calls a Cue to that place on the timeline (you press the F8 key to do that).

CoolEdit maintains a list of Cues, and it is then easy to copy them to PTE.

This technique allows you to precisely choose PTE transition points. It works well for most (but not all) kinds of music, and is particularly good with "cut" transitions. If you are using transitions that perform an action, you sometimes have to "move" the "chosen" transition point in order to account for the action.

When Igor added the timeline feature to PTE, I was immediately frustrated because I couldn't find the "exact right place" for the transition points. But somebody pointed me to CoolEdit for merging multiple MP3 files together, and when I looked at CoolEdit, I realized that it was the perfect solution to my problem.

Of course, the REALLY perfect solution would be for PTE to display a waveform over the timeline, too. Maybe one of these days!

Harold

Harold:

Thanks for the tip !!

I will have to try the "cues" in Cool Edit.

Up until now I have been doing it by trial and error, usually getting it on the 3-4 try using the timeline - which I figure still is not bad.

Yes, the waveform on the timeline would be nice, but that would not be a top priority for me. (I would like the transition timing and type changeable from the time line before the waveform....oh so many competing requests for Igor !! :lol:

Thx again

The cues in CoolEdit are saved as what kind of file and how do you "copy" them into PTE?

Unfortunately, as best as I can tell, CoolEdit doesn't save the cues at all. (I hope I am wrong on this, and that someone more familiar with CoolEdit can correct me. But I've looked for a way to save them in CoolEdit and I don't see any way.)

But CoolEdit neatly displays the cue times in their own window, and I copy them to the PTE timeline window by hand. Tedious, but not a fraction as tedious as picking the transition points by trial and error in PTE itself.

Life isn't perfect -- yet :lol:

Harold

Yes, the waveform on the timeline would be nice, but that would not be a top priority for me. (I would like the transition timing and type changeable from the time line before the waveform....oh so many competing requests for Igor !!  :lol:

I agree completely about "being able to change the transition timing and type from the synch window" coming before having the waveforms.

Harold