WnSoft Forums

Smooth transitions

ContaxMan

I'm interested in what techniques people use to ensure smooth transitions between slides.

Obviously I understand the basics - image size, using fade etc. What I have in mind is the kind of show where each image changes almost imperceptibly into the next.

Some folk do this by making intermediate images in Photoshop or similar. How do you do it?

Roger:

For me it is a question of very careful selection of the two images so as to achieve the effect you want. (often being very careful in the original shooting of the images keeping in mind the transitional use you are planning)

I often crop the two images differently so as to ensure I achieve the best transition from one to the other.

For example if transitioning two faces as an example, put both pictures in one image as layers, reduce the opacity on one image so you can see both both together on the computer screen in PhotoShop (or whatever editing software) and then adjust one face to line up the eyes, particularly, and other facial features as exactly as possible.

I often do this with many images in a show if I am trying to get "seamless" transitions.

Roger

Suppose you have two images and your intention is a nice slow transition between the two. If you put both the images into Photoshop before any cropping or changes in resolution have been carried out and follow JRR's technique using layers and layer opacity you can line up the images for the best transition.

Then crop them and size them to PTE proportions and save each layer separately. Photoshop can now do that for us too automatically.

What you could then do (but this needs to be done sparingly) is to investigate blending the two layers together with layer blend modes in the layers palette. Hard light, soft light etc

If the two images blend nicely (sometimes a little help with the eraser or a mask is needed) you can use that manipulated and flattened image between the original two slides for a unique effect.

Of course you will not know what the effect will look like until you try it, but then thats part of the fun

Barry

www.bbdigital.co.uk

In the meantime, can you explain what you mean about creating 'intermediate images' because I would like to experiment a little.

Ron - Barry and Jim have described very well exactly what I had in mind. And Peter Coles did a very good article about this in AV World (Summer 2004)

Thanks, Barry and Jim, for your very helpful replies. The techniques you describe are ones that I've experimented with but need to work at a lot more.

I wonder if anyone has any experience of using different combinations of fade duration, image display time and thickness of smoothing line to give the most gradual effect? I've tried using long fades with very short slide display times - this seems to give a good gradual effect. I'm not sure yet what the smoothing line change does and would welcome any comments about this.

Please keep the ideas coming - I'm sure lots of forum members can benefit from such advice.

Roger:

To a large extent the transition parameters used are a function of the individual images and your personal taste.

When I give tutorials on AV techniques, I sometimes demo two or three different transition treatments on the same two images. I have never had a unanimous agreement on which was THE right one to use.

Roger

As regards the smoothing line take one image and use say the gate effect, first with a low value for the smoothing line and then a high value and you will see that the former has a hard edge and the latter soft.

Ron [uK]

Hi Roger,

I think I know what you mean:- Its the "Resolve Effect" where 2 Images 'diffuse' thro' each other viz:-

Image (A) diffuses into Image (B) whilst simultaneously Image (B) appears to diffuse out of the vanishing Image (A)

Its a wonderful effect and I have tried it in PTE with 'Fade Out' and 'Fade In' but you have to use a 2 sec. delay to make it work anyway effectively.

A Program that does it really well is 'Cam2PC' (Camera to PC) from www.snapfiles.com ~ Its a 'Universal Camera Download' Program and the library of effects are used to create simple 'Preview Slideshows'

It may be of use to you, let me know ?

Brian.Conflow.

Hi All,

This subject is one thats been around since the first Pollock Duo Fade ect. When you use fade to change between slides there is a lot that needs to be considered. As was said earlier, not all slides will work together, but a good rule of thumb is if the slides look to be oppsites.

i.e.

if one goes from dark to light from left to right and the other from right to left.

If the composition of one is disolved over the plainer side of the other.

Never have conflicting or crossing lines.

I would always use the layer transission to check if two slides will crossfade. One other quick check is if you hold one slide over the other on the time line in P2E, one will become transperent. Its not the ideal, but it does give you a check.

Alan

Roger,

I forgot to mention when using 'Fade In/Out' don't use 'Smoothing Line' and the 'Resolve' must be +2 secs.

I appreciate Alan's technique and point of view ~ but I am talking specifically about the 'Resolve Effect' which you get in Film Flashbacks ~

Example:- A quaint Country Chapel in a rural setting in 2005. Lift the Image and re-process it as if it was 1850. Now use the 'Resolve Effect' to flash-back to 1850 or forward to 2005.

It gives a 'time domain' content to the Show and it's dramatic.

Brian.Conflow.

<_< I've been experimenting with the timeline and seem to have succeeded in merely confusing myself.

I set up a 2 slide show, the first slide having fadein/out set at 10 seconds and display for 10 secs. The second slide is set to no transition. I included a blank sound file to let me use the timeline (not sync.)

With these settings, the timeline shows the second slide appearing at 15 seconds.

My question is - how do I interpret the combination of transition duration and display times to give an overall time before the next slide is due?

I hope you can follow this and put and end to this temporary blackspot of mine, please! <_<

Roger

How do you use the timeline (not sync.)? I thought this was one of our unfulfilled wishes, namely that when you construct a presentation, before going to the timeline, that your own selected duration and effects timing can be transferred on to the timeline and not automated by "custom synchronisation". I know that this doesn't answer your question but perhaps the two are related.

Ron [uK]

"I set up a 2 slide show, the first slide having fadein/out set at 10 seconds and display for 10 secs. The second slide is set to no transition. I included a blank sound file to let me use the timeline (not sync.) "

Sorry, I'm talking rubbish here! To get the slides on the timeline of course I must choose sync. and this overrides my manual settings.

So I just hope I haven't managed to confuse too many other people by my musings.

But how do I find out how long the slide takes to fade and display?

Sorry folks,

Am I missing something here, If you put 2 slides on the timeline then the second slide starts at the point where it's number appears on the time line, and ends where the next number starts. This applys to "no Transition" settings. If you use fade then the second slide is only fully on the screen from the end of it's fade time to the start point of the next slide. I have found it easier to add the slids to the timeline and use the drag option on the effect shadow to set the disolve. If you drag the blue arrow through the disolve you can also test the efect back anf fowards to see how the effect will look. Also if you clicl "Preview" on the time line when the "play" is running the preview will start from the current point. This is great for testing mid show sections. (ESC will return you to the timeline.

With regards to the resolve question I would take the original image and make any adjustments nessary, i.e. sepia tone, fade, scratch, ect and save as say "immage2a" this meand that the registration is maintained with the original, and that you have a reference back to the original,

Hope all this helps,

Alan