WnSoft Forums

WALMART CD

Ken Cox

11:33 AM 8/20/2005

I purchased a 2 pack of Kodak Plus Digital ISO 400/27 - the deal included a free photo Cd with each roll when getting Kodak Perfect Touch prints for $3.97 plus taxes. I generally use ISO 400 or 800 in my pop and shoot camera as the Max flash range is approx. 10 feet.

The pictures were varied bright sun - groynes - water- beach - sand -- flowers and one granddaughter up a 10 ft ladder picking climbing green beans out of the cedar trees.

the prints turned out fine but the bright sun - groynes - water-beach shots on the Cd were really saturated and quite grainy

The WalMart Cd contains all the smarts[ macromedia viewer] to run a slide show of the picts from one folder, plus in another folder a duplicate set of picts to order on line from c/w a shortcut to the web site order form -- they are the same size picts - I do not understand their logic here because one cannot rename what is on a Cd.

4 sets of prints incl. developing was $14.06 incl. taxes

what normally costs addition $1 was the index print - this was n/c because of the photo Cd

Normal price of a photo Cd is $ 3.97 with 40 prints on it - extra prints are .10 cents each -- plus taxes

WalMart will make a 12 x 18 inch enlargement for $5.97 plus taxes

one thing I wont have to do is scan in the prints

but normally depending on what I was scanning I would quite often scan in at 250 dpi as a tiff - resize and save as a jpeg 80% quality

on Irfanview's resize screen it indicates the picts are 72 DPI

so this gives rise to the 72 dpi question

If Kodak/WalMart felt that the print orders for 8x10 or greater picts would not be satisfactory why would they not save to Cd as a greater DPI

at the store in our city they have they have upwards of 6 do it yourself machines including 1 card reader that you pick pictures from to send to the processing portion

-- after a long weekend or special happening the people are lined up to do their thing --

all of the major grocery stores also have the same layout as well the normal camera shops

so they must be doing something right with these methods -- they are satisfying the masses

I don't have any idea what the mix of forum members are

I personally do for my family and friends and personal satisfaction - how many others do the same -- we could be the masses

considerable number of members do shows for competitions

how many do shows for money?

now I have to do experiments as to the happy medium/price saving/quality -- I can make a copy of a Cd for +- .60 cents -- give it to my 3 girls rather than a pack of prints @ $1.97 + tax to be put in an album/shoebox

WalMart TEST

composition of show

used P2E 4.42

PEANUTS - PIANO SOLO BY HENRY MANCINI - MP3 = 2201 KB

26 JPGS

FOLDER OF JPGS = 35.3 MB

AVERAGE SIZE 1.357 MB EA.

2 BLANKS AT START 2 AT END

WalMart TEST EXE = 38,718 KB

AVI = 24,388 KB

WalMart TEST PUSH RIGHT TO LEFT EXE = 38,718 KB

AVI = 24,388 KB

PUT SAME ON DVD WITH NERO 6.6 WITH NO EXTRA'S - JUST BACKGROUND AND A BUTTON FOR EACH SHOW

DVD SIZE = 223 MB

INFORMATION/EXIF DATA FROM #1 PICTURE

DISK SIZE = 1.29 MB (1,351,125 Bytes)

CURRENT MEMORY SIZE =4.52 MB (4,739,112 Bytes)

ORIGINAL SIZE = 1542 x 1024 Pixels (1.58 MPixels)

PRINT SIZE FROM DPI = 54.4 x 36.1 cm; 21.4 x 14.2 inches

File: - D:\P2E SHOWS - d 1pictures WORKING FOLDER\1_walmart aug 19 05\00470001.JPG

XResolution - 72

YResolution - 72

ResolutionUnit - Inch

YCbCrPositioning - Centered

ExifOffset - 90

ExifVersion - 0210

ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr

FlashPixVersion - 0100

ColorSpace - sRGB

ExifImageWidth - 1542

ExifImageHeight - 1024

INFORMATION/ EXIF DATA FROM # 26 PICTURE

DISK SIZE = 1.12 MB (1,178,378 Bytes)

CURRENT MEMORY SIZE = 4.52 MB (4,739,112 Bytes)

ORIGINAL SIZE = 1542 x 1024 Pixels (1.58 MPixels)

PRINT SIZE FROM DPI = 54.4 x 36.1 cm; 21.4 x 14.2 inches

File: - D:\P2E SHOWS - d 1pictures WORKING FOLDER\1_walmart aug 19 05\00470026.JPG

XResolution - 72

YResolution - 72

ResolutionUnit - Inch

YCbCrPositioning - Centered

ExifOffset - 90

ExifVersion - 0210

ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr

FlashPixVersion - 0100

ColorSpace - sRGB

ExifImageWidth - 1542

ExifImageHeight - 1024

PUSH TRANSITION WAS -- JERKY POOR QUALITY

WHEN TIME PERMITS WILL HAVE TO REDO ALL WITH CHANGES TO COLOUR AND TRANSITIONS

KEN

Ken, you pack a lot of information!

A credit to your organizational ability - I'm not sure if I got all of what you were sharing. But I got enough to make it interesting.

A couple of comments in response -

As to the 72 dpi, I think Walmart probably attempts to keep it simple by advising print sizes based solely on digital photo dimensions, ie 480x640, 1024x768 etc. (expressed by them as 3 megapixedl, 4 megapixel, etc.) Probably an attempt to keep it simple.

I guess you were asking also about the masses. I know only that the masses are indeed growing rapidly. I am a long-time fan of Costco for any printing that I do not do myself. The offload terminals for digital have become very busy. One Costco photo manager of many years tells me he could easily justify doubleing their digital capacity.

My first photo CD's from Costco were in 2000. Though I liked the technology, the on-screen quality from my processed films was already then quite inferior to the then top-of-the-line Nikon consumer digital when put similiarly on CD by Costco. I seldom used the CD offering of any store. I continued film as my main medium until the convenience, quality, and price of digital cameras and "processing" took clear advantage for my use.

Knowing you as an old friend, long-time photographer, and early-adapter of PTE, I am interested that you are apparently still using film as your primary method. Care to share more of your thoughts on this?

My first serious digital printer was an Epson Photo EX for which I paid about $600. One (or two?) years ago, I impulsively bought an HP photosmart 7960 on a Costco deal/rebate for maybe $150. This printer is purely an off-the-shelf consumer printer. To test this "consumer" simple printer, I plugged it in and printed a few photos without any tweaking of photo or printer or reading of any instructions. I think I even just stuck the memory card in the printer and pushed "print." I immediately compared the home-prints with the same photos from my digital camera that I had just printed at Costco. I was astounded that the home-prints were much sharper and over-all better than the Costco prints. Every person I have ever shown them to agrees. Even so, I continue to use the Costco when I know I want more than a few 4x6 prints for general use. When it comes to enlargments, I know the Costco price is the best around and as good as any other retail outlet at twice the price. I do some enlargements on my own. I have long since quit trying to keep track of my cost of printing ink and paper at home. I think my home printing is still more expensive even if I leave the cost of the printer out of the picture. Maybe your well documented experiences could shed some light on this too?

I too would be interested in how many PTE forum members generate some income from their PTE sequences. I do not. I think there are a growing number of paid photographers who are using PTE and other sequencing programs to expand their saleable line.

Guest Techman1

Hello Ken and all,

In answer to your question, I use PTE to generate income from my photographer business. I use it to create proofs of my photo sessions for clients and also use it to create slideshows for videos. Some of these video's are included into Adobe Premiere, just because PTE does such an excellent & easy job of creating them.

Regarding printing, I do some printing here primarily for family on my Epson 1280 printer (with continuous ink system - no cartridges to replace). On my professional photographs, I use WHCC (White House Custom Colour) to produce all of my portrait & commercial photos and EZPrints for all of my event/sports action photography (via Smugmug). If you are interested in checking out Smugmug, please feel free to use the following link. If you signup with them, it will give you a discount and gives me a credit also. Here's the link:

Smugmug Referral

Anyway, I look forward to hearing from others here on the forum as to what they use PTE for and what printing labs (or inhouse printers) are used.

Thanks!

Fred

Knowing you as an old friend, long-time photographer, and early-adapter of PTE, I am interested that you are apparently still using film as your primary method. Care to share more of your thoughts on this?

Robert, i did not know much about digital and trusted the advice i was given--mistake #1

mistake #2 was buying a "el Cheapo" < $200

but on the bright side i know a bit more -- not to buy cheap and when people talk digital i have a general idea what they are talking about

mistake #3 not saving my money :angry:

so i will stick with film till the 3 slr bodies or lenses go the way of all old things then it will be another pop and shoot :ph34r:

i did another roll after i wrote the walmart test cw a cd - made another dvd and tested it

now i will try to fit in more tests with the paper prints vs the digital

the purpose of this thread was to document it so we can direct people to this thread when size etc comes up

some background info

see

ALSO SEE

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...t=ST&f=2&t=3504

http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

http://www.wantage.freeserve.co.uk/72-dpi.htm

see

GERARD DESROCHES ENGLISH Digital Basics PAGE AT

http://gdesroches.free.fr/formation/fnumerbase_en.htm

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...t=ST&f=4&t=3513

ken