WnSoft Forums

projects empty and lost

Wilhelmien

Hi,

I'm sorry about this issue. It occurs very rarely. Personally I never faced with this problem.

I remember that you use a Mac? You can recover a damaged/deleted file from a copy in Time Machine (if you use it):

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/restore-files-mh11422/mac

We recommend to backup a projects sometimes. You can use a special command "Create a backup in a ZIP" from the main menu > File menu. Or just copy manually only .pte project file.

Since version 11.0 we added a new option “Save a copy of .pte project file in a .bak file” in the Preferences > Project tab. It may help to recover manually a project file before last Save project command.

• 2 months later...

I have had a similar problem to Wilhelmien.  Last night I made a MP4 version of a 10 minute video I had spent 2 days creating with care (using  Windows 10). Before 'Publishing' I saved the video project. However I can't find it anywhere now. It is on a list of other videos I have created, that it is inviting me to Save. However if I do, the system tells me that the file already exists and do I want to replace it. That sounds dangerous! If it exists, where is it, I can't see it anywhere on my system. Also if I try to Open recent project and choose the video I want to regenerate it says 'Project 1 has changed do you want to save it'. A Save As screen keeps popping up with the required file on a list of all my my previous files. Clicking on the one I want puts it into File Name box together with the save type as PTE AV Sudio projects (*.pte). Also shows it exists do I want to replace it, but with what - am I over writing my work!? The files obviously exist but where? Several commands that ought to be helpful generate 'Not Responding' which goes on for infinity. I have recently invested in the the V11 so not happy with this situation. Please help someone. Rod 

Hi,

In general, saving a project in PTE AV Studio works similar to many other programs (e.g. text editors). A project file is saved to the folder you selected in the Save Project window.

After saving the project, without closing the PTE AV Studio, you can check in Explorer window whether the project file has been successfully saved in the folder where you expect it to see.

Probably by default Save window appears collapsed (a compact view) in Windows 10/11. You need to expand Save window to see more details what folder you choose for saving a project.

Usually you need to click only "Save" command, the project will be saved to a file which you earlier chosen (without a confirmation) for this project. If you call "Save As" command, PTE AV Studio will show you Save window and will ask you a confirmation to overwrite a project file (if you choose the same file name in the same folder). Save As command is required to save a copy of a project (to clone it, for example).

I have not encountered a problem where a previously saved document cannot be found.

Also we recommend to use a command "Save backup in ZIP" (in the Main menu > File menu) periodically. It guarantee that you will have a full copy of your project (the project and linked files).