WnSoft Forums

Having a sound playback problem again

Tim Z

Some of you may remember that my particular RME soundcard was incompatable with PTE v4.41, and that Igor created v4.42 to fix that particular problem. Everything has worked fine with v4.42 now until recently. Now I get stutters and glitches in the sound during playback of shows. It happens with both PTE shows that I created previously, as well as with a brand new show just created today. It only appears to be a problem with my PC and perhaps my particular soundcard again, as I tested the show on my wife's PC and the sound was fine.

The only things I can think of that have changed on my PC are that I had to add Windows XP SP2 as it is required to run Photoshop CS2 and the RAW file viewer.

So far I am stumped as to what could be causing this problem. Has anyone here got any ideas as to what I could look into that could be casuing this?

Much appreciated

Tim Z

Hi Tim,

This will probably be of no help at all to you but it is interesting that I (and a host of other people I know) get exactly the same problem with shows created in Pro Show Gold. I tried and rejected the programme a long time ago for exactly that reason.

After intensive research a group of us came to the conclusion that it was not worth pursuing and have used PTE ever since.

I am not suggesting that you change your programme but wish you luck in finding the solution.

If you do, please post it so that we can see here if the same problem is preventing us from viewing PSG shows?

Upgrading to SP2 did not change our problem one way or the other.

DaveG

P.S. Many thanks to whoever transferred my "old account" details to my "new account" details i.e. number of posts etc.

Now I get stutters and glitches in the sound during playback of shows.

The only things I can think of that have changed on my PC are that I had to add Windows XP SP2 as it is required to run Photoshop CS2 and the RAW file viewer.

Tim, I suggest you change your sound card, or else try to get drivers that are compatible with SP2.

Tim, I suggest you change your sound card, or else try to get drivers that are compatible with SP2.

Thanks Al, but that is simply not possible, as this soundcard is the best there is for running a professional recording studio, which is what I do. My recording studio needs FAR outweigh any needs for PTE. While I like PTE, it would go in an instant before my soundard will. My soundcard makes me money, PTE doesn't.

I did a bit more work on it last night and updated the drivers for my soundcard to the latest version. Made no difference. I have a dual boot system here, with one boot being for general pc use and the other (very lean) boot only used for my recording needs. When I go into the recording boot, the PTE.exe files work perfectly. This is with the exact same soundcard and all the same hardware.

So this suggests to me that there is a new incompatability problem with something in the general boot and either PTE or my soundcard. However the soundcard works perfectly in this boot for ALL other uses except PTE. It has to be either SP2, Photoshop CS2 or the RAW file reader for CS2, as those are all I have changed from when it used to work fine.

Anyway, I'll be working with Igor to resolve the issue.

Thanks for the suggestions.

t