WnSoft Forums

Widescreen Laptop and AV

JDoran

Hi All,

Still researching purchase of laptop/projector combination for club. Thanks to all for help in previous posts - it is getting (slightly) clearer.

Main issue at the moment is the choice of laptop. We have already settled on XGA (1024x768) resolution for projector and I have been advised to match native resolution of laptop to projector. However most of the laptops I have had recommended are widescreen either 1280x800 or 1440x900 resolution. Would this resolution mismatch be significant when projecting slideshows?

TIA

Jane

I'm pretty sure that your 1024x768 show will project OK but on the Laptop it might appear as a "stretched" show.

I get wierd effects on a widescreen laptop when projecting Powerpoint shows but the Projected Image is OK.

My opinion? - stay away from widescreen Laptops for this purpose unless you are sure it will do what you want.

DaveG

I haven't run a digital projector from my widescreen 1900x1200 laptop, but I have run a CRT monitor from it. All youi need to do is change the screen resolution on the laptop to match the dimensions of the monitor (1600x1200 or 1024x768, doesn't matter in my case) and the laptop runs the monitor just fine with no stretching. I would imagine the same principle works with a digital projector, since you run it the same way you run a CRT monitor, namely from the same video connector at the back of the laptop. For that matter, if I want to, I can run my laptop LCD screen at 1024x768. There is stretching on the laptop screen when I do this, but it the stretching doesn't translate to the monitor.

I don't see why running a projector off the laptop should be any different than running a CRT monitor off a laptop, but I admit I've never tried running a projector off this particular laptop. Maybe someone else has done so and has encountered problems in resetting the laptop screen to match the projector's dimensions, but I'd be surprised.

I have a widescreen laptop with a 'normal' resolution of 1200x800. My usual configuration in the office is to use this setting on the laptop screen, with a second monitor attached set to 1024x768.

When I use it with a projector, I sometimes use this configuration with the projector replacing the monitor at the same 1024x768 resolution.

If I'm doing a demo and need the two screens showing the same content, I switch the laptop screen to 1024x768 to match the projector. This results in a 'squashed' image on the laptop but still workable. The projected image isn't affected and displays the correct aspect ratio.

Ian

Main issue at the moment is the choice of laptop. We have already settled on XGA (1024x768) resolution for projector and I have been advised to match native resolution of laptop to projector. However most of the laptops I have had recommended are widescreen either 1280x800 or 1440x900 resolution. Would this resolution mismatch be significant when projecting slideshows?

TIA

Jane

While NOT making a brand recommendation, I will offer my experience to this arena.

I use an InFocus projector, capable of offering 3 Aspect Ratio settings (Native • 16:9 • 4:3)

The Native is that of the SVGA/XGA resolution at 1:1, the 16:9 (Widescreen) is similar to projection in home theatres and 4:3 typical of USA NTSC Television.

When changing from one to the other, an impact (visually) is evident, but in my opinion and those who have seen our presentations any distortion is really minimal when compared to the content presented - like anything else, if there is a "WOW" factor in the equation of good presentations, then the Aspect Ratio and any perception of distortion takes a back seat, however if the content is "boring", or has a tendency to "lose" the audience, then the visual nature of your presentation and its imperfections, are magnified 10x.

Kind of reminds me of the so-called old days of Playoff Sports, before cable and when there were in effect only 3 TV networks and a handful of radio stations, regardless of the quality of the sound on the radio or the strength of the TV signal, the idea that you could participate in watching a fuzzy picture, or listen to a scratchy play-by-play was more important than the true QUALITY of the picture or sound. ONLY when the team we were rooting for was losing badly did we begin to realize the picture was lousy and the radio signal very weak. But if the game was a good one and the result not realized until the very end, it seemed like we were watching the best quality HD TV experience in Dolby Surround 5.1.

While your detail is obviously very important in making a good impression, the message is probably of more importance. Remember, unless you are controlling the presentation environment in is entirety, including lighting and ambient noise - you run the risk of losing your audience and/or the impact of your presentation.

In the end, I doubt anyone (with the exception of a few want-a-be techies) will even notice the "stretched" image or slightly oval rather then round object.

Again, just speaking from practical experiences.

Regards,

FX Designer

Hi,

Thanks to all for passing on their experiences. It becomes very theoretical when you are forced to investigate something like this "up front" so any practical experiences are very welcome.

fxdesigner - While I suspect that you are correct that this is a perceived rather than real problem could you describe in more detail the visual impact you mention when moving the projector from native to the other resolutions?

Jane

Hi,

Thanks to all for passing on their experiences. It becomes very theoretical when you are forced to investigate something like this "up front" so any practical experiences are very welcome.

fxdesigner - While I suspect that you are correct that this is a perceived rather than real problem could you describe in more detail the visual impact you mention when moving the projector from native to the other resolutions?

Jane

Hello Jane

As stated in my previous post I purchased a Mitsubishi XD400 projector (1024 x 768 native) it will also project wide screen format. When looking for a laptop I was presented with a similar problem to the one you now have.The general opinon was that a wide format laptop would be OK to project 1024 x 768. and use with a 1024 x 768 projector.However, I received no assurance , in photographic terms ,that no "resampling" would take place which might degrade the image.

I have now purchased a Packard Bell Easy Note with a resolution of 1024 x 768 & 800 x 600.The deciding factor was the Intel 915GM chipset and intregated graphic card This chipset is installed in some more highly priced laptops. The model is L 4013.

Rgds Ted