WnSoft Forums

PTE bug on new computer

bharkins

I have recently built a new high performance computer (dual core, 2 Gb RAM, Nvideo 7800GTX video card) which is running fine except for PTE. I cannot get any sounds from exisiting PTE exe files, nor any sound from my Barry Beckham CDs. I saw that 4.44 was just issued today so I installed it after fully uninstalling the previous version. The same bugs occur.

This appears to be a possible Windows glitch (XP/SP2). If I go to the upper left pane to select the partition where my images are stored, the tool tip indicates that the partition is "Removable". It will not open by left clicking, which shows the tool tip "Drive is not ready", but if I right click and open, an error message appears "Please insert a disk into Drive G", which is illogical as partition G is on the second data hard drive.

So at present until I ge this solved, I cannot use PTE (after several years on the prior machine). Fortunately, my laptop is OK with v. 4.44 which is for my computer club presentations. There must be some simple fix to this and I'm assuming the Gurus of the Forum will have some ideas. Has anyone else experienced this bug?

Bill

Bill

any sound at all?

do you have another cd to try

does windows media player work

will mp3's or wav files play

see

DXDiagnostics

http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/winmce/winmce_2.htm

i cant locate it on the net but

see

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;326242

and i have a copy of it and the dll

aug 2004 dating

the 2 files are +- 3.2 mb

file version

5.03.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

ken

Bill,

So EXE slide-shows play OK, but without music?

How WinAmp or Media Player play music?

And how work 3D games?

As you said about problems with hard drive, maybe you didn't install all necessary drivers (especially for motherboard, for sound card)?

On CD disc to your motherboard should be drivers which necessary to install.

As another variant - ask your computer seller to help you with correct installing of all drivers.

Set-Up Problem

The problem you describe looks like an 'omission' in your Set-Up ~

Some Questions?

1)

Is the Loudspeaker Icon in the (bottom) Screen Taskbar ?

a) If not visible some 'Sound Mixer Drivers' are missing.

B) If it is visible,double click the Icon ~Open Mixer~ make sure that "Wave" is turned on.

2)

Can you play a standard Music CD ?

a) If not, you need to open 'Media Player Options' ~Find Formats~ Select them all, for 'On'

If correcting these common 'set-up omissions' do not work, I am afraid you will have to trace

the 'Sound Drivers' (if installed) and check to see if the Version Numbers agree with those

required by the Sound Card.

Brian.Conflow.

Thanks for all your input. I did solve the problem the next day after my post. Here's the problem: I found that my integerated audio function on the Asus MB would not play PTE sounds. All other sources of audio played fine in that mode - CDs, wav, mp3, etc. Fortunately when I built the machine, I kept my Turtlebeach Santa Cruz sound card and installed it. Reconnected and everything works fine with PTE. However, it does appear that PTE does not work with my particular MB, namely the Asus P5ND2-SLI. Whether anyone else has had a problem with that particular board maybe Igor would know. But for the moment, I am happy again with PTE (and the Santa Cruz card has much better quality).

In my email to Igor, I suddenly realized that the "Removable" icons were USB ports named as diskdrives which are actually 2 external drives for backup, normally off, so that problem was an "operator error".

Bill