WnSoft Forums

Just FYI, fan speeds on Macs

Almark

Hi folks, 

just FYI, on my 2019 iMac with 8GB video card and 64GB RAM, my fan would go full blast when creating a mp4 in Publish. This was using the early Somona Beta.

Eventually, my fan stopped working and had to be replaced.  But, updated to the new somona and the fan still goes nuts and CPU resources go up to 400%

I bought a new 16" MacBook Pro, chipped with a M2Pro.  What a difference. The fans do come on, but only to about 2,000, I can hardly hear them.  Everything is so much faster, indeed I think the M2Pro is overkill for the work I do.  But, nice to have ;)

Hi Mark,

You purchased a very good and powerful Mac.

Video encoding is a hard task for a CPU and it fully loads it. The cooling system in laptops and iMacs becomes clogged with dust over several years, especially if the computer is often used under heavy load, causing the fans to work actively. If a laptop/Mac becomes too noisy, gets very hot, and even turns off during heavy load (video encoding), we recommend taking the computer to a service center to remove dust from the cooling system.

Macbook Air with M1/M2 is not affected, because it has passive cooling system, no fans.

New Macs with M1/M2 chips consumes less power and stay more cool than Intel Macs and dust issue should not occur long time.