WnSoft Forums

Change Default Animation Speed

As a video editor for over a decade, I almost never use a linear speed curve for an animation. I use easing options and smooth out keyframes to make animations look less rigid. One of my problems with PTE AV is how many times I had to click add modifier > animation speed > then input my settings. The first time I used it, I though just using the Smooth animation speed would be enough but honestly, it's not too different from using the default speed with both its accel. and decel. time (%) set at 26. Funny thing is when I choose Custom, both are set at 50 which feels like the supposed values for a smooth pan, zoom, etc. Maybe someone can vouch for me. Just test out an image panning from one side of the screen to the other for one second at default settings without modifiers vs smooth vs custom. Tell me which of the 3 feels more professional?

So for my suggestion:

1. change default animation speed to have 50 accel. time (%) and 50 decel. time (%).

2. just have linear as an option in the modifiers.

To be honest, you are most likely to be in a minority with wanting this change.

A 1 sec pan is very, very short so you are unlikely to see any difference in the modifier settings.

With a longer duration pan you will notice a difference.

Maybe it could be possible in a future version to have a user option in the Project Options to set your own default for the Modifier settings?

Jill

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jkb said:

To be honest, you are most likely to be in a minority with wanting this change.

A 1 sec pan is very, very short so you are unlikely to see any difference in the modifier settings.

With a longer duration pan you will notice a difference.

Maybe it could be possible in a future version to have a user option in the Project Options to set your own default for the Modifier settings?

Jill

I guess in the PTE community, I may be but all the editors I know rarely do animations on linear. The only reason I said 1 sec is for the test to be fast. And I do believe it's enough to see the difference. But let's agree to disagree.

The option to change defaults would be nice, even though I think this type of software would really benefit from having said defaults.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am just starting to get interested in video and the popularity is growing.

Like many photographer/AV enthusiasts still images were the go and movement could be created in the AV. With static objects, single image animation has an impact in the AV (pan, zoom etc which I use for property photography) but it is still not as good as video which gives you a 3D-like effect. With moving objects and people, video is quite powerful in an AV albeit it takes more time to capture, edit and produce. On saying that AI is making video editing more user-friendly.

• Like 3