WnSoft Forums

Save Entire Project

bjc

“Save Entire Project” option ~

Please forgive me if this suggestion has already been made before (it would surprise me if it hadn’t !? ) – but – wouldn’t it be a useful option to be able to save not only the .pte file but also all the images and music used in a show, (and possibly an .exe version too) as a ‘collective’ to new folder of the users choosing ?

There can be (and often are) occasions when not ALL the images being used to produce a specific slideshow / lecture / tutorial have been sourced from the same location (drive / folder / or sub-folder on the system), as indeed is often the case with the music – the ability to collate all these elements into one single (new) folder at the click of a mouse button might well prove to be a useful addition. Or am I wrong ?

What are your thoughts ?

bjc

You'll find your happyness by creating an ALBUM, stored as "template" in the same folder than the programm.

It's easy to cut or copy it, and paste in a folder you create where you want, with the name you want.

Instead of ".pte" his name's end is ".pt".

What a beautiful life, is'n't it ? ;)

Post-scriptum :
:blink:
I don't know if the term in the english version is "ALBUM" or "TEMPLATE", because I use the french version !

I think that the suggestion didn't have to be made as this facility already exists !

It's the function "Template"; when you create a template, all files used for the project (images, sound(s), pte file) are copied in a folder "yourname.pt" located in the "templates" folder which is in the main PTE directory.

Ivanhoe,,

Thank you for your prompt reply - unfortunately TEMPLATE (Album) does not acheive the required result. (or perhaps I'm doing it wrong ?)

What (I think !?) is needed is an option which 'copies' all the images, music etc. AND the .pte file to a separate (NEW) location, irrespective of their original source.

This would (perhaps) assist many in storing (or backing-up) thier PTE projects in their entirety for future access or reworking.

bjc

Ivanhoe - Gerard

May I apologise ~ you are both perfectly correct ~ TEMPLATE (Album) does indeed do just what is wanted.

I thought that TEMPLATE only saved PROJECT OPTIONS (and the suchlike) I did not realise it did exactly what I was looking for and saved all the image files etc as well. Now I feel really daft - as I've been using PTE for years - and didn't realise this option existed - thank you both very much.

bjc

:) Hi BJC

Don't worry, I too did not realise that Template did what it does, so thanks for asking the question in the first place.

Severn Bore

PS Version 5 is sounding even more mouthwatering. The anticipation is almost painful!

:) Hi BJC

Don't worry, I too did not realise that Template did what it does, so thanks for asking the question in the first place.

Severn Bore

PS Version 5 is sounding even more mouthwatering. The anticipation is almost painful!

Don't be too hard on yourself. The name "Template" implies a pattern rather than a complete "archive". But it works a treat nevertheless.

BJC,

Yes, the 'Template' option will archive All Images & Sounds that were used in the PTE.Exe Production.

However its not a complete 'Archival' answer to all the materials that were used during Production.

In my case, I create a 'Master Folder' with all Images & Sounds contained there-in. I 'drag' the Images into PTE as well as the Sounds. I run PTE. and Save As the .pt File. Now if I wish to 'edit' anything I revert to the Master Folder, select an Image, call it:- Image-01, edit that and save the edit as Image-011 and use that in the Show and of course make a Template of the Show.

Now my Master Folder contains the 'Origional Images & Sounds' plus the 'Edited Images & Sounds' as a PTE.Template, plus the Show.Exe.

I 'burn' the whole Master Folder to a CD-Disc ~ this allows me to use the Master Folder as the Source Folder for an 'Autorun Utility' and also for an 'Auto-Install Utility' and as a 'Master Archive' to burn off additional copies as I want them. It also means that I can go to a Photo Studio and get a set of Prints from the CD-Master.

It means that I have a 'Hard-Copy' of everything used during the PTE.Production ~ which free's up space on the PC.

This technique may be of some help to you....

Brian.Conflow.

• 2 months later...

This just proves how useful this forum is, it just saved me a lot of work.

I run my PC under XP Professional with different user codes for different members of the family. A few months ago we had a problem and I had to reformat the hard disk and reinstall everything. Being fairly new to PTE I am still on a steep learning curve, so yesterday I decided that I would revisit some of the backed up sequences from before the reformat to see if they could be improved with my new knowledge.

I had great problems doing this as when I had reinstalled I had changed my user code. When I tried to run PTE on the restored files it was looking for the images and music under the old user code, so it came up with a series of errors. To get it to run my old sequences I had to recreate my old user code and copy the backups under that user code to get the PTE to start up and find the images and music.

I was wondering how I was going to transfer these sequences to my new user code and thought that I was going to have to replace the images one by one from the old user code to the new. Before I started that task I thought I would search the forum to see if it had any solutions and found this topic.

I must admit it is another new learnt feature and now I have saved all my projects in a templates folder and have saved my self a lot of work

Many thanks

Tony Falla

South Wales