WnSoft Forums

Timeline inconsistency

alrobin

There is a problem when using the space-bar for pausing and re-starting the motion on the timeline when synchronizing a show to music.

This is a very handy feature, as it saves having to pick and press with the mouse and cursor when pausing the mini-preview.

However, if you insert a transition "on the fly" while previewing, and then press the space bar, you will get another transition added. Or, if you pause and delete a transition and then immediately press the space-bar, PTE will try to delete another slide until you have picked and pressed the "play" button first with the cursor, instead of using the spacebar.

Quite awkward, and also dangerous, as you could inadvertently add a transition, as I did just now, without knowing it. :)

Here's another little glitch in the timeline window. When I am previewing a show by pressing "Play", the button doesn't change to "Pause" until I am about 15 seconds into the show.

Al, I cannot reproduce your first problem. But when I add a new slide to time-line, the "Add transition" button remains selected, and I cannot restart the music with the spacebar.

As to second issue, I checked several times, but "Play" button changes to "Pause" almost immediately.

I would like to know by other users if this happens to them too...

Guido,

Re the second problem, it seems to have corrected itself. I noticed that according to the system monitor there was a lot going on in the background on my pc, so I closed everything down, re-booted, and so far it is fine. I also noticed that the show was quite jerky when it ran, so there must have been too much load on the processor, and the button was taking quite a while to close. Didn't stop the preview from operating, though.

However, the first problem is still there. The space button seems to take on the characteristics of whichever button on the timeline is "active" or "highlighted". If you press "add transition", then the next time you press the spacebar it will try to add a transition. (you can actually see it trying to activate, but if there is no remaining un-assigned slide, of course it can't do anything).

If "delete transition" has just been pushed, it will try to delete. If "play" was the last button pushed, the spacebar will "play", if "pause", it will pause, etc.

You can see this effect by pressing "Project Options / Customize Synchronization", and before you press anything else, hit the space bar. Since the "OK" button is the one which has "focus", the window will close.

If "delete transition" has just been pushed, it will try to delete. If "play" was the last button pushed, the spacebar will "play", if "pause", it will pause, etc.

Yes Al, the spacebar works exactly this way, and it's not a correct way...

I had not understood the first time!

What a man, what a life. Al you've got it. You go on the road, photograph the scenery, visit the family, and still keep the computer rolling and the input flowing. Myself I have not been able to make time to utilize your latest helps, but just want to tell you thanks. The little bit above about the space bar behavior can certainly save each of us from trying to figure out what is going on. And Igor likely is grateful too. And Guido, we don't take you for granted either. Mr. Consistency, headquartered in Italia. As always, thank you too.

Thanks, Bob (and you're welcome, too! :rolleyes: )

Actually, the holiday is on hold at the moment, waiting for the new grandchild to come along. So, I'm taking advantage of the delay to get my input in to the forum before we hit the road! Wish it would hurry up, though - it's coooooooold up here! Coldest March 3rd on record yesterday! (-30 deg C).