WnSoft Forums

Mac & Virtual PC

Andy Miller

:( I am new to this forum and hope someone has an answer. I am a Mac user - Latest Multicore Multichip G5 machine 2.5 Gigs Ram- OS X 10.4.4 running Latest Virtual PC with both Windows 2000 and Windows XP virtual engines. They eat all Windows programs - Office Pro etc. Runs most PC games with ease. I have downloaded trial version of PicturesToExe, which I saw demonstrated at my camera club, from both main site and european mirror. It knocks spots off anything that Mac can offer for an audio/visual slide show in a camera club environment. or for personal use. The audio/slide interface and especially the ability to tailor the sound track is superb. I have downloaded via Mac environment and directly in the Windows environment using Outlook. They all appear to install perfectly. Then as you try to run the program you get a Windows error message telling you that Pictures to Exe must close due to a Windows error. The message is the same if I'm using Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Has anyone any Ideas? Has anyone successfully installed and run this program on a Mac? If so, HOW??

Thanks - Andy M.

How to run PicturesToExe under VirtualPc on MacOS X. Solution.

(This tutorial I've found on AsProtect Support Forum.)

----------------------------------

Start the Virtual PC session as normal.

In the Mac Finder, navigate to the 'Documents' folder in your 'Home' folder.

Open the 'Virtual PC Scripts' folder.

Open the 'Toggle Compatibility Mode' script by double clicking it.

The script opens in Script Editor.

Click the 'Run' button at the top of the script window.

Click 'OK' to the informational dialog that appears.

Click 'Enable' in the next dialog.

Return to the PC session, which is now running in compatibility mode and will

be slower, and run the PicturesToExe as normal.

When complete, close the program and return the Virtual PC to normal mode by

re-running the script above and selecting 'Disable' at the appropriate time.

Note that this "compatibility mode" is not the same as the Windows 2000 and XP

Compatibility Modes, which PicturesToExe is generally incompatible with.

Hope this helps others

---------------------------------------

p.s. as I said earlier, it's necessary for main program of PicturesToExe. Created slide-shows works fine without additional steps.

Thanks for all that I'll give it a go and let you know the results. Perhaps with the new universal script that runs on the new Mac/Intel chips a Mac version is possible.

Andy M.

PS - Tried the toggle mode - it installed and works perfectly - version 4.46 link worked as well but does not run unless "toggled" as above -- - I'll purchase a licence shortly

• 7 months later...

Ok, maybe it will possible to make compatibility with VirtualPC for Mac.

I'll let you know during several days.

Hi I have recently purchased a license of PTE and I think it is a fantastic app!

Quality, rendering, is just fabulous. All I can say is please please make it a OS X application also.

I know that I can run it with virtual PC but the speed and response is just not the same as in a PC environment and I wonder how the V.5 will run given that it needs more resources.

PTE is the only app that it is still keeping me from doing a complete switch to OS X

and a very important one (for me at least) :D

Regards.

Roberto