WnSoft Forums

Laptop upgrade

I need to update my aging Dell laptop that has served me well but is now nearing the end of it's useful life. Having had good service from my Dell for many years I did look at the new Dell machines but found that unless you go for the very expensive top end range ie xps, the lower models now get mixed reviews.

All my production work using Photoshop, etc and Pte is carried out on a recently upgraded Windows desktop but I use a laptop to view Av's via zoom and a laptop also allows me to show AV's away from my desktop. I would also prefer, although not essential, a laptop that allows me light use of Photoshop and Pte should the need arise but not as my main work machine. My main need is to be able to show and view AV's etc via the web.

Having noted Igor's recommended laptop specs from previous posts I have spent considerable time on the web searching for a suitable purchase to the point of nearly melting my brain. As soon as I find a model with the recommended processor, graphics card, memory and storage I then find it is equipped with an OLED screen which is apparently not recommended rather than an IPS screen. And of course I would be buying blind, ie without being able to test prior to purchase hence my appeal for advice.

As it would not be my main work station I am not looking to spend silly money on some ridiculously expensive over spec. model. I just want a Windows laptop in the 15 to 16 inch range at a reasonable price to meet my needs and any advice on laptops actually in use would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Brian

Hi Brian, most laptops should play AV's OK.

I have always had Acer laptops & they have proved reliable, but I have gone for a higher spec graphics & RAM.
If showing MP4's (made on your Desktop) then the graphics spec is less important, and most should be fine.
Also for viewing Zoom sessions, the internet speed is more critical.

Not sure of the needs for Photoshop as I very rarely use it & only have an old version anyway.

Do you have a local Computer shop that sell laptops?
You could always put some AV's on a pen drive & take it along to see how they play.
I have done that in the past.

Good luck finding something.

Jill