WnSoft Forums

Peace - Forum AV

Severn Bore

Hi

Firstly I wish to say that the show produced by Maureen and the pictures therein are excellent and the piece of music (which I had never previously heard) was great. Unfortunately there is a "but".

The subject of the show was to be World Peace. However, the images (with very few exceptions) show a very comfortable white, largely Caucasian, world, whereas more than half of the world is poor and in strife.

It is our fault that Maureen was not given a wider selection of images from which to choose. I, for one, did not send any. Our Forum is a brilliant one and seems to cover much of the world, so it is disappointing that we could not produce a more comprehensive selection of pictures, perhaps illustrating why so many of us crave for a world at peace.

Thank you Maureen for an entertaining show . What do you and others think? :huh:

Hi,

I don't think I have to give my personal reasons for wanting to say this, but I know we all feel the same way for wanting world peace.

After reading some of the seasons greatings all this became clear, WE, want to do something. So lets show the world how we feel. How? Simple. If every forum member was to submit a maximum of three images that symbolise peace, we would produce a members AV and show our message to all Nations. ( not graphic images of violence but every-day living, culture and human kindness etc. etc).

Lets have some "chocolate box" landscapes etc, its up to you use your imagination and creativity.

this is just an idea for now but one that WILL come to fruition very soon, as soon as all the logistics and web hosting are sorted. Al has already offered his site. So come on guys and gals get the dust of your camera and your **** (Butt) out of that computer chair, Then give us a commitment here. and watch this space.

Dave.

This post has been edited by damor: Dec 31 2005, 07:39 PM

the above was what we had for guidelines -- how can you tell from the picts where they are from -- there is water, mountains, flowers etc all over the world

ken

:o Hi Ken

Sorry to have upset you, but my guess is that most of the pics are from the northern and western hemispheres. I am not advocating that we show conflict and degradation (although I note the images and prior discussion about military subjects), but more that we show more of the world as was suggested in the original remit.

I have already confessed to my own complacency in not contributing to the selection, but I hope that in the spirit of the forum this does not debar me from comment.

i THINK Maureen has done a great job. i THINK Severn makes a very valid point. Maybe I am quick to see Severn's point because I have personally had some wonderful "foreign" exposure and exposures. But I too did not "get around" to submitting any photos. Certainly I only commend those who submitted and those who did the job. If someone is interested in producing Volume II, I would make a renewed effort to contribute. I will also say, that even with a wider base of human stars, it still won't be easy to convey desire and motivation for peace. But not everyone is willing to vote just for "easy", so if there is a "taker" or a "leader" ready to go - I think there could be further benefit on this course.

May as well say too - That there could have been many approaches but I'm doubtful any could have been decidedly better than what Maureen did. Thank you Maureen and congratulations. I agree with some earlier comments about short slide durations. I also understand the constraints and Maureen's reasoning. Two techniques were used by Maureen, as successfully as I've ever seen. For lack of better terminology, I'd commend your use of "brushing in" features in successive image itterations and effectively "super-imposing" an image on another. On occasion, I thought you were transfering a subject from original slide to a new slide - only to then decide the latter slide was actually the "original" holder of the subject. Sorry, I'm not sure I can describe what I observed and appreciated.

So, for now, thank you to all who did and do contribute. We are all a little bit better for it. :)

... but my guess is that most of the pics are from the northern and western hemispheres. I am not advocating that we show conflict and degradation (although I note the images and prior discussion about military subjects), but more that we show more of the world as was suggested in the original remit.

You are pin pointing the stumble block of this slideshow ! It is in no way universal and so it can only be regarded as an affable local trial.

- Langage problems should be absolutely avoided, textual, sung or read.

- avoid nationalist considerations

- no reference to religion

- no reference to situations, monuments, architectural creations only known by very few of us. Here under you will find a photo of a pedestrian bridge (Mimram footbridge just close to the Europ bridge.. an other strong symbol) connecting France to Germany over the Rhine ... a strong signal for peace ... how many exactly know about it ?... even frenchman !!!

- avoid military evocations. I too have many gratefulness to what some of us have done to maintain liberty and peace, but this is an other subject

- photos should be absolutely self speaking without any hesitation and for every man on this earth !

A mother and his little child, a children's face lighten by a large smile, children or man of diverse skin colors together, to contrary playing (cat and dog), a serene scenery, and so on are without any hesitation peace meaningful for a black, yellow, white skinned man, is he jew, christian, moslim, indouist (?), boudhist..., and no matter his sexual, political preferences !

A war plane, a soldier are not immediately, without any explanation, peace meaningful !!!

A christian church, english text, english song, flags, specific human constructions (apart those who are universally known : pyramids...) are too specific and from far not universal and therefore very debatable !

Sorry for this grating opinion.

sxb010aj.jpg sxb021vu.jpg

Good job everyone. A very pleasant experience to watch.

My only comment is concerning the credits at the end. I would have liked to see them on screen longer. I think the contributers deserve a few more seconds of attention.

Thanks,

lt

Maureen, I would like to add my vote of thanks to you for putting this show together - I think you did a marvelous job, especially considering the small amount of input material you had to work with. Also, congratulations to Dave for getting this going, and seeing it through to its implementation. I have shown this to several friends and relatives, and they have all been very impressed with the finished production.

It is easy to criticize and say that not all of the images denote "Peace", but then it is not really necessary for each one, individually, to do so. We have to remember that AV is the combination of images and sound, and the latter is every bit as important as the former. For me, the images, along with the music you have chosen, do speak to me of "Peace".

The most important achievement here is really that we had several photographers/AV-producers from different parts of the world working together toward a common cause - the promotion of "Peace in the World". The fact that a show was actually completed in such a manner, and made available to everyone able to access the Forum and Beechbrook, is significant in itself. It is one more example of the good to which PicturesToExe can be put, not only in depicting the beauty and good in this world, despite all the negative and destructive forces that seem to exist, but also in dramatically reminding us of the evils which still do exist, so that more people will be motivated to work together in eliminating them. Viva PTE!

Why was a separate thread started on this and where do I find the original started by Dave? Can't start a search using 'Dave' as there will be too many. I believe the original title was something like "Just an idea". No doubt Ken will help.

Ron [uK]

Ron

search

damor

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....c=3927&hl=damor

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....st=entry25053

but if we were to "follow the forum protocol" we would discuss the merits of the show in this section

the first thread was the idea to get it going but once it was made all commnets should have been made here

ken

Thanks Ken. I was going to add something in the other threadabout the running of the sequence on my Projection System , but I think now that it is water under the bridge. Suffice to say that last Thursday when I showed it to Sutton Camera Club there wer a couple of instances when the images did a hiccup, possibly due to an insufficient gap on the timeline.

I agree with you that this is the section in which to discuss the merits of the show, which I consider to be an excellent production and tastefully executed from all the images submitted.

Ron [uK]