WnSoft Forums

Thanksgiving 2004

LumenLux

What you did after downloading  

6 members have voted

1. 1. If you download the show, consider telling us:

• I watched the entire show.
    • I only watched enough to see if the subject interested me.
    • I watched mainly to see if any new or special use of PTE.
    • I used the navigation bar to skip around.
    • Sorry, I don't participate in polls.

Recent forum discussions have motivated me to alter a long show of mine enough to link it on Beechbrook.com as Thanksgiving 2004.

As always, I welcome all comments and discussion.

Meanwhile, a couple of related topics already in progress are:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4264

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4261

Just for fun, you can also express yourself in the little poll here.

LumenLux:

I've tried several times today to access Bill's place to download but for some reason my browser times out. Maybe he's having problems?

ken

:blink:

LumenLux:

I've tried several times today to access Bill's place to download but for some reason my browser times out. Maybe he's having problems?

ken

:blink:

Per your experience, I just tried and found the same. It appears he may be working on it.

In the meantime, here is a direct link to Thanksgiving 2004 (44 mb). You and others are welcome to download direct for now.

Lumenlux....

A nice documentary style slideshow of I assume a missionary trip to Peru. With so many photos...I'm assuming you didn't have any time to participate in the actual work as others appeared to be doing. I'm sure the many participants appreciated your photographic documentary....I can tell...many memories for many people.

What a photographic opportunity. So many happy smiling faces. Such a colorful world. One could make an interesting slideshow of just the faces of the people.

Definitely a different world than we live in here.

I didn't keep count but you must have put at least 400-500 slides in this show.

thanks for sharing...

ken

:D

LumenLux:

I also had trouble downloading from Beechbrool, so i downloaded from your link.

I did watch the entire show and enjoyed it very much. I have been doing similar shows, although shorter in duration, of our missionary trips into Mexico. The participants always enjoy seeing them. We use them at church to share the experience. This has "sold" PTE to many people that were sold on Powerpoint. We also give each participant a CD with the show and all pictures, even if not on the show. We also make a DVD for each participant so that they can show on their TV easily.

I feel the show was a little long, however, I can see how I would have had trouble deciding which ones to leave out. I have solved that on occasion by doing two shows, one pklanned ot for shorter duration and another including all shots.

I have never included the navigation bar in my shows but feel I will begin. It saves confusion using the computer up and down arrows and pause buttons.

Not haviong participated in the trip, I would have liked, on some slides, a short script describing what we were seeing.

Beautiful photography. As someone else posted, you could make a great presentation using just faces, or another using just colors and landscapes.

For the participants, I feel the show could not have been better.

Thanks for sharing.

Shalom and Blessings,

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

There are some beautiful images in this presentation but watching the entire show, I must admit towards the end I kept thinking, is this ever going to end!

I think it would have done better as several shows as I found that it was confusing as to exactly what was happening there seemed to be 3 or 4 different things in the show. The people (volunteers) who were there, the various projects, (schools, hospitals,etc), scenery & wildlife of the area and the local people.

I personnally would have added a few pieces of text to let the viewer know what was going on, eg painting the hospital at ?????, meeting the school cjhildren at ?????. I didn't even realise that it was Peru until half way through.

Hope this is useful

Tony Falla

South Wales

There are some beautiful images in this presentation but watching the entire show, I must admit towards the end I kept thinking, is this ever going to end!

I think it would have done better as several shows as I found that it was confusing as to exactly what was happening there seemed to be 3 or 4 different things in the show. The people (volunteers) who were there, the various projects, (schools, hospitals,etc), scenery & wildlife of the area and the local people.

I personnally would have added a few pieces of text to let the viewer know what was going on, eg painting the hospital at ?????, meeting the school cjhildren at ?????. I didn't even realise that it was Peru until half way through.

Hope this is useful

Tony Falla

South Wales

Yes it is useful Tony, thank you for responding.

Some of what you say, is part of the reason I set up the little poll at the start of this topic. But of the couple of hundred people who downloaded the show, only half a dozen so far have used the poll here. So, your comments are especially appreciated.

I don't know if you read the "author's notes" on Beechbrook. They contain a little information but your point is well taken that for "outsiders" invited to view the show, a little more info would be helpful.

The original purpose of the PTE show was for the participants to relive their experience in Peru. I did actually collaborate with another member of the group in creating a DVD video for presentation to the "public" at a fundraising type dinner evening. The video was made up of video camera footage interspersed with some of the same stills you saw. The video was "painful" for me because the visual quality was not nearly so good as we enjoy with PTE. But the video did have a complete descriptive (where needed) sound track and had effectively chapters that made clear the several distinctive projects and activities. And, the video was only 16 minutes instead of the 38 minutes. :huh:

LumenLux:

I also had trouble downloading from Beechbrool, so i downloaded from your link.

I did watch the entire show and enjoyed it very much. I have been doing similar shows, although shorter in duration, of our missionary trips into Mexico. The participants always enjoy seeing them. We use them at church to share the experience. This has "sold" PTE to many people that were sold on Powerpoint. We also give each participant a CD with the show and all pictures, even if not on the show. We also make a DVD for each participant so that they can show on their TV easily.

I feel the show was a little long, however, I can see how I would have had trouble deciding which ones to leave out. I have solved that on occasion by doing two shows, one pklanned ot for shorter duration and another including all shots.

I have never included the navigation bar in my shows but feel I will begin. It saves confusion using the computer up and down arrows and pause buttons.

Not haviong participated in the trip, I would have liked, on some slides, a short script describing what we were seeing.

Beautiful photography. As someone else posted, you could make a great presentation using just faces, or another using just colors and landscapes.

For the participants, I feel the show could not have been better.

Thanks for sharing.

Shalom and Blessings,

Howard

Thank you Howard for your generous comments. It sounds like you have a personal appreciation for what our group and the show is trying to do. To be part of something like this can only be understood by doing it - hence my one line comment in the show text. Your own use of various cd's, dvd's and versions of your productions is quite similar to what I try to do. The recipients of this PTE show did also receive a disk with all 2713 photos. But I suspect even the participants don't ever get around to viewing them all. ( I think I

did look at them all.) :( And yes, I too have had calls from viewers wanting to know how (PTE) they could attempt their own shows. Personally, I would be very interested in seeing some of your recorded experience and hearing a "tale" or two. If you would think it appropriate to share with all the forum membrs or you are welcome to contact me by email to compare notes - either way could be beneficial I think.

Lumenlux....

A nice documentary style slideshow of I assume a missionary trip to Peru. With so many photos...I'm assuming you didn't have any time to participate in the actual work as others appeared to be doing. I'm sure the many participants appreciated your photographic documentary....I can tell...many memories for many people.

What a photographic opportunity. So many happy smiling faces. Such a colorful world. One could make an interesting slideshow of just the faces of the people.

Definitely a different world than we live in here.

I didn't keep count but you must have put at least 400-500 slides in this show.

thanks for sharing...

ken

:D

Thanks Ken for "tackling" this feature-length tour. Aren't you glad the navigation bar was available? :) Of course when I watch the show, it pulls me in, picks me up, and is over very quickly. Only one observation you make is not correct - Thanks to dandy pocket size digital cameras, I am still able to "get my hands dirty" and participate in the personal side of the effort. The first time Peru became part of our life, my wife and daughter went without me. The next time I went with my wife and two more daughters. On my first trip, I did lug my full size film Nikon & lenses, my Sony video 8, and a brand new Nikon 900? (not my own) digital. I did find it more difficult then to do my share of the physical work. But it was certainly fun to have many of the non-spanish-speaking indians come to refer to me as "Foto Man".

We call our Peru efforts, "humanitarian" expeditions. But certainly, "missonary", in the broad sense of the word could fit. Our group is not a part of our (LDS) church but has many common goals and many of our Eagle-Condor participants are also members of our church. In Peru we have a small organization of our own who coordinate our own efforts with "natives" as well as with any local groups willing to help. You may have noticed the orphanage is run by Catholic sisters, and there are contributors from many, walks of life. We often have american doctors as part of our group, and on one occasion worked with three Peruvian doctors doing volunteer "pick and shovel work" with us because their was so little paying work even for doctors. On another side, the welfare hospital where we were painting - the little smiling girl patient (with Peruvian father in US Marine jacket) came in the emergency room one night with a broken leg. By noon they had her in the surgical area. But by 5 pm she was still waiting for attention because the welfare hospital doctors had to leave to go to their own paying clinics. I see I've got carried away here, but you did mention the "faces" and they all have a story - many stories. PTE helps share a couple.

I agree with Tony. Although these images were so beautiful and captivating, I needed a break.

For me, the "lost village" on the mountain was the most enjoyable, having just seen a traveling piece on the TRAVEL CHANNEL on TV featuring that part of Peru. Your images were every bit as great. I liked the eating shots as well and wonder... that little hampster in the corner... was he part of your meal?

If a show creates a story through images, subtitles and narration, it can go long. If it is a lot of great photography shots with only music as a backing, 4-8 minute shows would be my choice to watch. Multiple shows, yes, that would do it.

LumenLux, I envy you and your group... What an opportunity you had. I doubt that the photos come close to the eye opening experience of what your eyes saw in those mountains. Thanks for sharing.

lt

Oh, I'm one of the six voters... I don't understand why so many visitors would not vote. Very strange!

Thanks lt, for your comment and your vote.

The little guinea pig in the corner was not part of my meal, but by now has certainly been part of that family's nutrition. The families normally share their home with their future food. In that little house, the couple was proudly showing me the new type of "stove" that they had built in one corner. The little fire bin/stove is fueled by the droppings of the guinea pigs. A rather efficient system I'd say. A later photo in the sequence shows a Kentuck Fried Chicken (restaurant) version of guinea pig. That one appears poised in front of a wide-eyed member of our group and still sports all four legs and head.

Machu Picchu is about as interesting as anyplace I have ever been. This ancient community had for uncertain reasons survived the conquests that plagued other nearby Inca establishments. Photographically, it is very stimulating. Up til now, I have been able to wander and explore there without any regulatory restrictions. In spite of the heavy tourist traffic, the fringes of the area, or early or late hours, offer some un-equaled experiences.