WnSoft Forums

Morturn's ELY

davegee

Hi all,

Has anyone else had a problem with opening the ELY show?

I have downloaded 3 times (via Beechbrook and direct from Morturn's site) and on each occasion I get an error when trying to open the zipped folder. It says it is either Invalid or Corrupted.

Any ideas?

DaveG

I tired about 6 times to download but had the same problem the file would not open Windows telling me it was invalid or corrupt. I discovered that for some reason everytime I tried to download, I got Download Complete after about 8 / 9 MB, I think it is about 28 MB.

At the the time I was going away for a couple of weeks so I forgot about it.

Tony Falla

South Wales

I tired about 6 times to download but had the same problem the file would not open Windows telling me it was invalid or corrupt. I discovered that for some reason everytime I tried to download, I got Download Complete after about 8 / 9 MB, I think it is about 28 MB.

At the the time I was going away for a couple of weeks so I forgot about it.

Tony Falla

South Wales

Dave

I just downloaded and same from the cottage opens fine

but try it direct from DaVe's site

http://www.morturn.com/

I cant get a running copy of

Sequel to my 2004 Alaska sunset sequence

File Size: 9.91M

By: ltdedorc@verizon.net

Download Count: 36

have dropped him a note

ken

Ken, The Sequel to my 2004 Alaska show runs fine for me. It is a very short presentation. Only a very few images. What type of error are you receiving?

Bill

Bill

i thought by the description on first slide it is supposed to run 9 mins

mine just runs <30 secs and quits

ken

Just make a download test from Beechbrook and speed is 280kb from the other side of the pond

this very very good av works fine for me! :rolleyes:

gillo

the ELY show? -- i have no problem with

it is the

Sequel to my 2004 Alaska sunset sequence -- it says a nine minute sequence - -which threw me off

it does not run 9 mins it was a sequence taken over a nine minute period

ken

Ken, That was my first impression also - a nine minute show. However after viewing it a few times I finally realized what the author intended. Several images taken over a nine minute period. All total it produced a very quick presentation. Glad you didn't have difficulty downloading it. From your previous post I thought perhaps you had.

Bill :)

To get this one back on track:

Bill,

Do you have a problem with ELY?

Ken,

If you read the original post again, I said that I have tried it direct from Morturn's site - same result.

(The Sunset Show mentioned above opens and runs OK - Music by the Wes Montgomery Trio - Canadian Sunset - One of my favourite Wes tracks!).

DaveG

To get this one back on track:

Bill,

Do you have a problem with ELY?

DaveG

DaveG,

I have never had a problem with Ely. I just downloaded it once again and it runs perfectly. No problems at all. This presentation is linked to Beechbrook.Com. I do not host the program itself. I only provide a link to the authors site where the file is hosted. When you begin to download the file, look at your popup screen. It will tell you where the file is actually being download from. You will see that it says www.morturn.com, not www.beechbrook.com.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hi all

sorry for the delay in responding, have been away for a few days

have down loaded and run Ely from both Beechbrook and My site too www.morturn.com all is working OK

it is zipped using win zip 8.1 so windows XP should open it too.

please let me know if you have any further problems, and please enjoy the show.

Morturn

Hi David,

I think that it is probably to do with Win-Zip which I don't have.

Like Tony Falla I get the invalid/corrupted message on one machine and on my laptop I get:

"Please insert the last disc of the Multi-Volume set and click OK to continue"

Pity, I had heard good reports of this one.

Maybe it's a Welsh thing?

I don't think my problem is anything to do with WinZip, I have tried again tonight 4 times to download, twice from Beechbrook Cottage and twice from Dave Moore's own site. In all cases I get some of it downloaded, varies between 8 MB and 20 MB. Then, it is as though the connection is lost, nothing happens for a while, ie the download counter doesn't update, then it says Download Complete but I have only a portion of the 28MB.

I have downloaded quite a few presentations from Beechbrook Cottage in the past week with no problems.

Perhaps I am not paying the toll on the Severn Bridge!!!!!

Tony Falla

South Wales

I don't think my problem is anything to do with WinZip, I have tried again tonight 4 times to download, twice from Beechbrook Cottage and twice from Dave Moore's own site. In all cases I get some of it downloaded, varies between 8 MB and 20 MB. Then, it is as though the connection is lost, nothing happens for a while, ie the download counter doesn't update, then it says Download Complete but I have only a portion of the 28MB.

I have downloaded quite a few presentations from Beechbrook Cottage in the past week with no problems.

Perhaps I am not paying the toll on the Severn Bridge!!!!!

Tony Falla

South Wales

TonyFalla and all... once again please understand that you are not downloading Ely directly from my site - beechbrook.com. I merely link you directly to the Morturn site. Ely is not hosted on Beechbrook.Com. The file resides on the Morturn's site. If you log into the PTE Download Pages of beechbrook.com and click on the Ely image, it takes you directly to http://www.morturn.com/Slideshows/Ely/Ely.zip. There is no difference when connecting to beechbrook.com or directly to morturn.com. Both sites link you directly to http://www.morturn.com/Slideshows/Ely/Ely.zip.

Hope this helps.

Bill :)

Tony, it seems clear that Ely's author will make sure you can view his show. Never the less, I am curious why the problem exists for you. Have you been able to note the download rate/speed prior to when the download prematurely quits? I'm wondering if there is any setting on your computer or isp that is "timing out" if the download becomes too slow or too long? Are there still download "helpers" out there that will keep a partial download and then resume on your next attempt without starting over?

Bill,

Many thanks - I FULLY understand that you are only hosting a link.

I have heard from Dave and will make arrangements with him.

It is not so much wanting to see the show as understanding why SOME have no problem any others do. Also my problem appears to be a different problem to Tony's (With the same PTE show).

The question remains - why?

Thanks to all,

DaveG

I have tried again this morning and failed again, so I tried another on Dave's site, Dorset's Jurassic Coast, and experienced exactly the same problem. I downloaded in both cases about 10MB before it stopped.

I then went on to Beechbrook Cottage and downloaded Lions of The Massi Mara Kenya (32MB) with no problems, so I don't think it is a download limit. I pay my ISP extra to have unlimited downloads.

The thing I did notice is that when downloading the Lions it seemed to download a lot faster than either of the 2 from Dave's site.

I think that there may be a problem between the two ISP's, I will contact mine and see if they can let me know what is going on.

Tony Falla

South Wales

• 2 weeks later...

Just to complete this. After several e-mails between myself and my ISP, they have confirmed that they have a problem downloading from Dave Morton's site. Surprise, surprise however they are saying its not us it must be Dave's webserver or network.

I have passed this information to Dave but it is one of those that I don't think much progress will be made

Tony Falla

South Wales