WnSoft Forums

Wasted clicks

LumenLux

I figure that in the last six months I have wasted between 1500-2000 finger clicks that could have been put to good use snapping photos to use in PTE! Every time I have accessed (Windows) Explorer (not Internet Explorer) I receive an error message in a 2" box in the center of my screen. The error message reads "Failed to load resource DLL". The wasted click is to close the box before I can then actually "explore" for files. Does anyone know how to solve this annoyance?

I figure that in the last six months I have wasted between 1500-2000 finger clicks that could have been put to good use snapping photos to use in PTE! Every time I have accessed (Windows) Explorer (not Internet Explorer) I receive an error message in a 2" box in the center of my screen. The error message reads "Failed to load resource DLL". The wasted click is to close the box before I can then actually "explore" for files. Does anyone know how to solve this annoyance?

Lumenlux,

A DLL (Dynamic Linked Library) is a 'look-up' Data Folio which contains data or instructions for a Program to execute a particular task. In your case the PC appears to be running O.K. except for this problem ?

The PC Registry has a Folder called 'File of Types' which contains a list of 'File & DLL Extensions' which are like Car Registration Numbers. (Plus hundreds of other File type extensions)

These uniquely identify all the Exe's and DLL Files which are or have been exectued on the PC. Sometimes an Exe or a DLL goes missing but the Reg.No is still in the List and consequently the PC is still looking for the the missing component.

What's missing is a 'System DLL File' or a 'Program DLL File' ~

When I say missing, 'it may have been deleted', or it may have been 'misplaced' you may have 'Uninstalled' a Program which left behind a 'File of Types' Registry entry which makes the PC look for the missing Program.

1)

The first thing to do is try and find the Name or Label of the DLL (example: msn.32.dll). If you find its Name you do a "Search' for it. START Button-->Search/Find-->Files & Folders-->when the Search Window opens type in its name and run a Search. If it comes up 'blank' the DLL is not there but the Reg.Extension is still in the 'File of Types'

2)

Now the nasty part ~ to find the File Extension, if its a DLL.extension ~ DONT DO IT ~ get yourself an Automatic Registry Cleaner and let it do the dirty work to clear out 'Orphan Files'. A Registry Cleaner knows what to do in these circumstances.

Case example:- A Program called 'Snag-It' when Uninstalled, leaves behind dangerous copy DLL's which if removed can damage the Operating System. On account of these some PC's still keep looking for the Program even though it has been Uninstalled.

Hope this is of some help to you....

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Lumenlux

Hope you sort out your problem.

I think I have a wasted life here too trying to sort out my computer problems.

No sooner is something working smoothly than some little gremlin creeps in and gives a hiccup.

Thankfully nothing major to bring everything to a blue screen but all still so time consuming & frustrating.

No Peace for the wicked ?

I've had no Internet connection on my my main PC since April 15th - probably due to this Microsoft upgrade.

The connection to router & four computers is there but one PC refuses to get sorted & work.

The other three have now all been fixed.

Of course it has to be the PC with all my e-mail info & web site stuff

(nothing lost & all backed up onto an external but don't want to load the laptop withall those files).

Just feeling very sympathetic with your lost time & annoyed feelings Lumenlux! :)

Sorry can't help technically - hoping Father Christmas will bring a magic computer wand next year to sort these things out :rolleyes:

...... well maybe we've already got one with the PTE Forum & all the help here !

BW Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Just read your Post concerning "Wasted Life".....join the gang. We here at Conflow Services also had the same problems over the past 1½ Years until we decided to bite the bullet some 6 months ago.

Like you and many others we also were blaming 'Microsoft Upgrades' and nothing could be further from the truth. In fact the 'problems' lie with 3rd Part Vendors who refuse to submit their own Upgrades to Microsoft and the Spynet Community for 'Approval/Testing/Certification' prior to releasing their Upgrades.

So what we have here is a "Contention Issue" made worse by PC Users who won't "Switch-Off" running Programs prior to the Microsoft Upgrades being Installed ~ This contary to Microsoft Instructions.

Things such as Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, and Adobe Acrobat MUST BE DISABLED prior to an MS Upgrade. There is no risk in this ONCE you are connected to the Microsoft Upgrade Site because this is a 'Secure 128Bit Encrypt Connection' ~ simply get on to the Source Site, then disable your AntiVirus and close Adobe Acrobat and proceed with the Downloads. Restart the PC and you will find that Microsoft has corrected and re-registered those Programs and sorted out the "holes" in them. Now sometimes the Anti-Virus Programs reset the Security/Privacy Tabs in Internet Explorer to 'Custom' which causes problems ~ try this:-

In your case open your Search Page, select 'Tools' on the top Toolbar-->Internet Options-->now view the Security and Privacy Tabs and make sure both are set to "Medium"-->Thats 1 Notch under the Custom setting--> Now hit Apply and O.K that usually sorts out most erratic connections.

Now make sure you 're-start' your Anti-Virus etc;

We have been following this procedure over the past 6 Months and we have absolutely no problems with any Microsoft Upgrades nor anything else for that matter.

Hope this helps....

Brian.Conflow.

Many Thanks for the advice Brian,

I have my settings to always save the downloads for me to update when I wish but somehow this one has really caused masses of problems. :(:(:(

BW Maureen

Case example:- A Program called 'Snag-It' when Uninstalled, leaves behind dangerous copy DLL's which if removed can damage the Operating System. On account of these some PC's still keep looking for the Program even though it has been Uninstalled.

Brian,

this might be confusing to some people! There is a program call 'SNAGIT' sold by the Techsmith Corporation, that is simply a sceencapture program. I think that you are referring to some other program though.

Ron

So what we have here is a "Contention Issue" made worse by PC Users who won't "Switch-Off" running Programs prior to the Microsoft Upgrades being Installed ~ This contary to Microsoft Instructions.

Things such as Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, and Adobe Acrobat MUST BE DISABLED prior to an MS Upgrade. There is no risk in this ONCE you are connected to the Microsoft Upgrade Site because this is a 'Secure 128Bit Encrypt Connection' ~ simply get on to the Source Site, then disable your AntiVirus and close Adobe Acrobat and proceed with the Downloads. Restart the PC and you will find that Microsoft has corrected and re-registered those Programs and sorted out the "holes" in them.

Brian.Conflow.

Doesn't this make a mockery of the 'Automatic updates' when set to automaticly load. or are you suggesting that we always set to 'download and notify me before installing' ?

I understand that disabling antivirus and antispyware is needed but am confused about your reference to Adobe Acrobat. Does this run in the background as well? I thought that you had to actively 'open' it before use.

Ron

Doesn't this make a mockery of the 'Automatic updates' when set to automaticly load. or are you suggesting that we always set to 'download and notify me before installing' ?

I understand that disabling antivirus and antispyware is needed but am confused about your reference to Adobe Acrobat. Does this run in the background as well? I thought that you had to actively 'open' it before use.

Ron

Maureen,

The simple problem is the fact that "Microsoft Corporation" own your Operating System and you are Licenced to use it. For the past 2 years Microsoft have done their level best to secure XP, 2000, 2003 and their final system "Vista". They even brought out Microsoft Beta-1 and Microsoft Defender, two superb 'System Protection Programs' having spent $.Millions acquiring the Giant Corporation to lead the way.

They were instrumental in setting-up the 'Global Spynet Community' which is a Co-Operative of Anti-Spyway Producers. At that time it was agree that those 3rd Party Vendors would submit 'Upgrades' for Test & Compatibility Certification, this being so, that such Upgrades would not cause problems with Microsoft Operating Systems and their Licenced Products.

Considering that they own the 'Operating Systems' I would consider that request to be fair and above board. After all, you wouldn't like it if someone compromised your own A/V productions for their personal gain ??

If one examines the latest version's of Grisoft A/V and Spybot and XoftSpy and other Contributor/Members to the Spynet Community, my lord, haven't those Anti-Virus Programs really excelled themselves ? and one must ask why ? The answer is very simple, they now share the resources of the 'SpyNet Co-Operative Community' and if that isn't "self-Help" what is ?

Then there are others (who should know better) who decided to "do their own thing" and one in particular is the biggest Vendor of Ant-Virus products who is causing 'contention issues' since 2004. No names mentioned.

Microsoft ALWAYS issue specific instructions for Downloads, and yes, the Automatic-Downloads were an excellent idea until the independent "mavericks" with their own vested domination interests, threw a spanner in the works.

Yes you are correct, use Notify before Download then connect to the MS.Server and you will have no Problems once you disable the Anti-Virus and other 'open-programs'.

Adobe Acrobat Reader

Yes it has a 'Closedown Problem' ~ After opening a Pdf.Document it 'tends' to stay open in the background and you can spot this when you go to 'Shut-Down the PC' ~ the shut-down process is longer than usual.

These days I have the 'Adobe Icon' on the desktop and I shut it down from there, sometimes I even resort to the Task Manager.

Hope this explains the background to Automatic-Downloads...

Brian.Conflow.

Brian,

this might be confusing to some people! There is a program call 'SNAGIT' sold by the Techsmith Corporation, that is simply a sceencapture program. I think that you are referring to some other program though.

Ron

Yes Ronnie,

I am refering to the 'Snag-It' Program which you use ~and furthermore~ I had advised Igor about this Program some months ago. 'Snag-It' does NOT HAVE a clean 'Uninstaller'. It leaves behind a number of 'Snagit.dll's' and copies of Microsoft.dll's ~ one in particular which if removed can cause a 'System Failure'

Furthermore, 'Snagit' IS NOT a simple 'Screen Capture' program ~ Its a highly sophisticated Program with 'Auto-Communication Utilities' built into it and boast a fairly decent Graphics Editor which used Microsoft 'Look-Alike' System dll's and a powerful Auto.Exe which you can use for communication's...so can the hackers !

Treat 'Snagit' for what it is ~ It's a full blown program capable of Graphics Editorials and Communications and can be 'Hacked' ~ whereas a simple 'PSSR Screen Capture' can't.

Some time ago when you had a serious PC.Problem I asked you to 'Turn-Off' Snagit as it can support a combined 'Trojan/Coolweb Infection' because of the type of dll's it uses and it's ability to replicate them...do you remember ??

Brian.Conflow.

Some time ago when you had a serious PC.Problem I asked you to 'Turn-Off' Shagit as it can support a combined 'Trojan/Coolweb Infection' because of the type of dll's it uses and it's ability to replicate them...do you remember ??

Yes I do remember all of that.

I always take your advice, and although at the moment, everything is working very well even with 'Snagit' installed, maybe I should ditch it now and use something else. Can you suggest another screen shot saving program?

p.s. Interesting mistype in your post for 'snagit' (just after Turn-off). Perhaps you should edit it, I gave that up years ago.

Ron

Yes I do remember all of that.

I always take your advice, and although at the moment, everything is working very well even with 'Snagit' installed, maybe I should ditch it now and use something else. Can you suggest another screen shot saving program?

p.s. Interesting mistype in your post for 'snagit' (just after Turn-off). Perhaps you should edit it, I gave that up years ago.

Ron

Ronnie,

My god that was 'quick' ~ hadn't even noticed it ~ will edit....I'm still laughing.

If you are happy using 'Snag-it' by all means do so, its a good Program ~ Just be aware that it can be 'exploited' just like Internet Explorer or Adobe Acrobat or for that matter the same applies to any 'Interactive Comms Program'.

The problem with Snag-it is when you come to Uninstall it, thats 'tricky' to say the least, and don't attempt to do so without expert advice. The same applies to Norton/Symantec, its a nightmare !

Brian.Conflow.

Thank you all for the interesting and helpful information.

Just an update on my original specific annoyance - I have not been able to eliminate the errant dll message and the "wasted clicks." After your first response Brian, I found that Ccleaner, which I now use on other pc's in the house, would not run on the "wasted click" pc. After much cleaning, rebooting, etc. I am now able to use Ccleaner, but it does not solve this particular dll message. I can't tell if there is a "real" problem, or just the error message nuisance. Any further thoughts?

Thank you all for the interesting and helpful information.

Just an update on my original specific annoyance - I have not been able to eliminate the errant dll message and the "wasted clicks." After your first response Brian, I found that Ccleaner, which I now use on other pc's in the house, would not run on the "wasted click" pc. After much cleaning, rebooting, etc. I am now able to use Ccleaner, but it does not solve this particular dll message. I can't tell if there is a "real" problem, or just the error message nuisance. Any further thoughts?

Lumenlux,

I wrote:-

When I say missing, 'it may have been deleted', or it may have been 'misplaced' you may have 'Uninstalled' a Program which left behind a 'File of Types' entry which makes the PC look for the missing Program Dll.

Firstly, Microsoft Operating Systems DO NOT give nuisance 'error messages' ~ if it says there is a problem you better believe it, and in particular "Failed to Load Resource DLL" it means just that !

The fact of the matter is that something is 'stuck-in' the 'File of Types Register' which is pointing to a Utility or part of a Utility which is no longer accessible to the PC. (See quote above ~ Study carefully)

You said you had a problem with Cc Cleaner which would not run ~ but it now appears to run ? Well thats your clue ! Exactly what happened to make Ccleaner fail to operate ? ~ Its my guess that you downloaded something and then Uninstalled it and then used Ccleaner to tidy up. However on this occassion it made a 'cock-up' or something 'messed it up' and in the process removed/misplaced that DLL.

By the way Ccleaner can not repair nor replace something that has been removed or misplaced. Now try this:-

Go to the Ccleaner Folder, open it-->select 'Tools' from Top Toolbar-->select 'Folder Options'-->select 'View Tab'-->find 'Hidden Files & Folders-->make sure 'Show Hidden Files & Folders' is "Ticked" now close the Folder. Now re-open the Folder again and count the number of DLL's therin ~ make a Note of this.

Now go to any other PC with Ccleaner installed ~ do exactly as above and compare the number of Dll's on each PC. If they are the same it's not Ccleaner but some other Utility at fault and now its back to trying to remember what you were doing over the past while.

A 'Tip' ~ Open your Program Folder and 'trawl' through it, looking for any Folder that you recently Uninstalled, yes its a 'paradox' but many Uninstalled Programs leave Folders behind them. Take a Note, and let me know your progress.

Brian.Conflow.

Brian,

But you haven't suggested an alternative to Snagit - is there one?

Hi Ronnie,

Yes there are very many alternatives ~ I really do hate recommending any particular one as 'Screen Capture Utilities' are just as much about Functionality as they are about Personal Preferences.

Try www.webattack.com (Software Resources) - will you "Bookmark" this as I given you this URL many times before.

Search enter:-...Screen Capture.

Here is a Link to what you want "Freeware & "Shareware"

http://www.snapfiles.com/downloadfind.php?...x=28&search.y=9

One of the good ones is "Fastone"

Brian.Conflow.