WnSoft Forums

Procesion del Encuentro

dadou

My last slideshow, la Procesion del Encuentro, is hosted by Bill on Beechbrook Cottage .

Benicarlo, province of Castellon.

20000 inhabitants

After the civil war and the destruction of everything concerning religion (statues, clothing, pasos, archives...), after the « years of hunger », the inhabitants thought of restoring the tradition of the holy week at the beginning of the 50’s.

7 brotherhoods still exist nowadays :

Cofradía de la Oración de Jesús en el Huerto de los Olivos

Cofradía Virgen de la Esperanza

Cofradía Virgen de los Dolores

Hermandad de la Buena Muerte y el Santo Entierro

Hermandad de Jesús Nazareno

Cofradía del Descendimiento de la Cruz

Cofradía del Santísimo Cristo de la Flagelación

They go on procession for Holy Wednesday, Good Friday (the path of the Cross of Dawn at 7am and the procession of the holy burial at 9pm), and for Easter Sunday.

After some sort of disaffection during the 70’s, a renewal of popular participation appears and brotherhoods’ joining increase, which is certainly due to a will of assertion of the Valence identity, facing Spain and Europe…

Not any single national or regional television crew this year... Meaning not many lights or no lights at all! A quite sporty photo shooting (full aperture, 1/8 to

1/30), but, on the other hand, the possibility to interfere in the groups without any problem…

So, here is the general idea of a Ash Wednesday in a provincial small town, with only a few of Spanish tourists and (almost!) no strangers.

A local speciality: the drums and snare drums! ...So don’t be surprised by the volume: it’s just to give an idea! Softer music follows... Indeed each brotherhood has its own songs written, for centuries, by local composers.

Each brotherhood comes on a procession from its church;

Everybody meets at the central church and leave at 9pm to walk round the inner city. Some passings are real difficulties (doors, portals, bends), and when this passing, led by a "capataz", ends well, the tradition is to applause.

This procession is called "Procession of the meeting": Virgin Mary mets her son for the last time.

I hope you will feel a few of this Spanish soul, made of contrasts and extremes which may surprise the logical people. Don’t forget: the "Reconquista" lasted seven centuries (718 - 1492) and created the abrupt standings of this people which was a border between two worlds.

Thanks for reading, and do not hesitate to leave a comment.

:) Thanks to D67 for his beta test and to F.R.Croisier for the tranlation of this text !

Daniel, thank you for posting this show for us. It is well done. I found it interesting. The traditions displayed are quite different than my own experience. Especially thank you for the written explanation. The show is much more interesting because of the information you wrote. Sometimes I prefer to read the information and then just enjoy the show, much like the event itself.