WnSoft Forums

BEST Video Show? DVD+R or DVD-R

Raydene

Because I still haven't purchased a new DVD player and cannot find any information about this old DVD player I have as to which format it will play (+ or - and all my searches say it has no info for this old DVD player) so I haven't tried doing any video yet using Pic2exe, but I have Nero which will create both DVD +R or -R.

Have any of you made a Video with both and which do you think produces the best visual Video of the two using Pic2exe?

I don't understand that much about the + or - except one is faster than the other, so I would appreciate any help in my decision as to "Do I buy a DVD Player that plays both or just one of the 2 choices. The new DVD player will be used mainly for playing my husbands DVD movies, but I would like to also be able to play a video I make (when I get to try to) using Pic2exe and my family outings.

Thank You for any help you can give me about this. :)

Raydene

Thanks Ken for all the technical page information, but I'm still not sure exactly what you are saying.

Are you saying it is best to get a new DVD player that will play both DVD+R and DVD-R? Or are you

saying that any will play both so just go buy one and don't worry about looking for those format features.

I also didn't understand if your telling me that both formats will display equally as well in quality after

making a pic2exe into a video using Nero to play on any DVD player I do purchase.

Sorry, that I am not as Video knowledgeable as I need to be yet, and why I am asking all these dumb questions hoping to purchase a DVD player that will present the best quality for my family to view my presentations on TV made with this awesome program "pic2exe". I have been making grandchildren "as they grow" shows for years and they all are eagerly awaiting.

Thank Anyone for any help with this.

Raydene

there are no dumb questions :)

the player will be the easiest part of the equation

making the show then burning it will be the hardest part

just remember if your picts are borderline quality, you will have a borderline show, but something is always better than nothing :)

for more background

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Format_war

Recordable DVD formats: DVD+R versus DVD-R, and originally DVD-RAM. Ultimately this has become a non-issue, as most new DVD recorders support both formats and are referred to as DVD±R; DVD-RAM, on the other hand, has not been so successful and is likely to ultimately fail due to a lack of compatibility with standard DVD discs.

ken

Because I still haven't purchased a new DVD player and cannot find any information about this old DVD player I have as to which format it will play (+ or - and all my searches say it has no info for this old DVD player) so I haven't tried doing any video yet using Pic2exe, but I have Nero which will create both DVD +R or -R.

Have any of you made a Video with both and which do you think produces the best visual Video of the two using Pic2exe?

I don't understand that much about the + or - except one is faster than the other, so I would appreciate any help in my decision as to "Do I buy a DVD Player that plays both or just one of the 2 choices. The new DVD player will be used mainly for playing my husbands DVD movies, but I would like to also be able to play a video I make (when I get to try to) using Pic2exe and my family outings.

Thank You for any help you can give me about this. :)

Raydene

I don't think you will see any major difference, if any, in viewing DVD-R or DVD+R on your TV. DVD-R seems the most popular, why I do not know, may be it's a price thing, I certainly use DVD-R. I make PtoE slides for friends and family who prefer viewing on TV in DVD format yet playback quality is nowhere near that of on computer.

Bought a Cyberhome DVDR 1600 Recorder, price less than £70, from ASDA stores, a bargain and highly recommended for the price. The surprise came only when opening the box to find it records to DVD+R/ +RW not DVD-R/RW although will play prerecorded DVD-R/RW,there was no indication on the box. A batch of DVD+RW cost nearly the price of the recorder.

In answer to Raydene, I would agree with all that Tom has expressed. The part that I would like elaboration on is:

I still find home-made DVD's to be "tempermental". Or certain DVD players are tempermental. That is, a homemade DVD of a PTE show (or home video) will sometimes play OK and then not play at other times on the same player. Has anyone found this to be less trouble with -R or +R?

I still find home-made DVD's to be "tempermental". Or certain DVD players are tempermental. That is, a homemade DVD of a PTE show (or home video) will sometimes play OK and then not play at other times on the same player. Has anyone found this to be less trouble with -R or +R?

Lumenlux:

Yes quite often and not just PTE shows. I use only Brand Name DVDs such as TDK, Sony, Maxell and Imation...never Memorex(always had bad experiences with anything made by them). I've found that -R are more reliable, but +RW is the most reliable. I normally always create a backup DVD of my productions...just in case.

I've not tried the new Dual Layer and not sure if my DVD players would recognize them.

ken

:blink:

Ken

my dual layer discs are recognized by my home players

and i just bought 400 benq dvd+r disks and they work fine

my dual layer burner and my dvd/burner player both came with +r blank discs

i have 3 citizen, 1 koss and 2 toshiba players and the liteon burner/player

and 1 toshiba vcr/dvd player

ken

I have 50+ memorex dvd's i am working to finish off -the 16 x will only burn at a max of 4x, but the 8x will burn at 4-8x depending on the burner - i have no complaints with their cd-r's

btw

I have a bad case of CRS and i believe memorex were bought out by one of the other biggies , but i cant remeber which - so keep your head up as to who it was that bought them

ken

Ken

i have 3 citizen, 1 koss and 2 toshiba players and the liteon burner/player

and 1 toshiba vcr/dvd player

ken

Hey Ken,

According to my count, you can watch 7 movies simultaneously...if you've got 7 TVs to go with them.

nickles

10 colour and 1 bw :)

ken

Sounds to me like you need 4 more DVD players...then you can simultaneously watch 11 movies...can I come over and watch?

nickles

;)