WnSoft Forums

Watch if for 60 seconds

Lin Evans

Very clever and very subtle. So imperceptible at first, but on second viewing one is able to appreciate your technique. Thanks for the idea.

Ron [uK]

Just testing a new possible effect - 60 seconds - small executable - let me know what you think....

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/storm.zip

Lin

Hi Lin,

Great idea. Like Ron, at first sight I could not see what you were getting at but it soon becomes obvious. I think I was expecting some clouds or thunder etc.

I still have some reservations about how these new effects, possible in Version 5, might be used to enhance standard shows. I am just about finished my first one using Betas #4 and find that it is much more time-consuming than before. If you are trying to produce an "artistic type" show, then the possibilities are endless. But otherwise the addition of too much movement or fancy tricks may detract from the basic photos.

An interesting experiment but I had to think of movies when it rains and the sun shines. That is they often have a marvellous shower of rain and if you look carefully the sun is shining, - it is simply a giant hose being used! I know the sun can shine snow falling. Is this is getting too near to video, and I am not sure but it would be easier to do that way! It depends how you use it in a sequence, not as effect for effects sake?

While responding to this can I mention that I have shown your Colorado on a large screen at 1028 x 768, to myself and was suprised that it didn't look quite as good as on the computer screen. In particular when you started your usual Zooms outwards the initial picture showed the stress of the zoom, and as it ended with the normal size picture it looked very good. Also I noticed a sort or hardness to the pictures, almost as though they were copies from prints. I do not get this normally when projecting my original digital slides or scanned in film slides. Would it be anything to do with downloading through the Internet. I doubt that because other sequences seem OK.

Best wishes,

John

Very clever and very subtle. So imperceptible at first, but on second viewing one is able to appreciate your technique. Thanks for the idea.

Ron [uK]

Hi Ron,

Just a work in progress to develop the technique - but interesting....

Lin

Hi Lin,

Great idea. Like Ron, at first sight I could not see what you were getting at but it soon becomes obvious. I think I was expecting some clouds or thunder etc.

I still have some reservations about how these new effects, possible in Version 5, might be used to enhance standard shows. I am just about finished my first one using Betas #4 and find that it is much more time-consuming than before. If you are trying to produce an "artistic type" show, then the possibilities are endless. But otherwise the addition of too much movement or fancy tricks may detract from the basic photos.

Hi Jeff,

Yes, it is more time consuming - but fortunately we can use either the old or new approach so just more to consider depending on the end product and audience.

Best regards,

Lin

An interesting experiment but I had to think of movies when it rains and the sun shines. That is they often have a marvellous shower of rain and if you look carefully the sun is shining, - it is simply a giant hose being used! I know the sun can shine snow falling. Is this is getting too near to video, and I am not sure but it would be easier to do that way! It depends how you use it in a sequence, not as effect for effects sake?

While responding to this can I mention that I have shown your Colorado on a large screen at 1028 x 768, to myself and was suprised that it didn't look quite as good as on the computer screen. In particular when you started your usual Zooms outwards the initial picture showed the stress of the zoom, and as it ended with the normal size picture it looked very good. Also I noticed a sort or hardness to the pictures, almost as though they were copies from prints. I do not get this normally when projecting my original digital slides or scanned in film slides. Would it be anything to do with downloading through the Internet. I doubt that because other sequences seem OK.

Best wishes,

John

Hi John,

Yes, video being a more accurate approximation of real-life would always be preferred but not always "convenient" to film or use. I intentionally chose the image with the blue sky to facilitate the ease of actually seeing the transitions rather than from the perception of a real event although we do get these quick snow storms even in the midst of sunshine here in Colorado. To better resemble reality there would be clouds coming in from the northwest (right rear area) over the peaks and that's rather easy to simulate also, but their presence would make it more difficult to appreciate the transitions from light snow to heavy snowfall so for the demonstration I chose the clear blue sky.

The effect you see when projecting the images from the CTML.EXE file as you assume has nothing to do with downloading it. I think I can explain what is happening though not having seen it myself I must guess.

The show was optimized for CRT display at 1024x768 resolution. On an LCD either monitor or projector there are several issues which affect the appearance.

First of all, the images are a mixed group with many being lower resolution, not over 1024x768. Because the show was originally done for 1024x768 resolution CRT screens, only a few are high resolution originals while most are reduced in size but not in sharpness which accounts for the "hardness" you mentioned. The per pixel level sharpness is largely a result of the X3 sensor in the camera used for most of these images. It produces a sharpness level not possible with conventional digital or film cameras. So even though the images are of lower resolution they maintain the sharpness which you are not used to seeing on your projected images. To do a show properly for large screen projection I would normally use full resolution images, many of which are suitable for 50 -60 inch prints. The print process diminishes sharpness so that by the time these images are printed at poster sizes, they still maintain excellent quality. For slideshow projection, I would normally back off by applying a slight gaussian blur or use the "blur" utility in the p2e beta to take a bit of the "edge" off the crispness. On the other hand for 1024x768 CRT display they are excellent just as they are. This points out the realization that not "one size fits all" when doing slideshows with our excellent tools!

This was made quite clear this past weekend when I did some photography for friends then made slideshows using DVD as well as executable file for them. The originals were primarily done at 10 megapixel resolution and the first go at a DVD revealed serious aliasing on straight edges and a rope-like appearance on doorways, etc. Since these issues were not a function of the original very excellent photos, I downsampled to 1024x768 and did the DVD show once again with interlaced mode and the results were excellent. Next I did a slideshow at 1024x768 and played it on both 800x600 and 1024x768 monitors with perfectly straight door frames and no rope-like edges or excessive "shimmer" on zooms. Next I played the same show at 2048x1536 screen display resolution and while the images were "O.K.", the overall crispness and such were gone with less than optimal display. Finally I used the original 10 megapixel images and did the show again. The display on 1024x768 showed harsh aliasing with lots of "flicker" on detailed zooms and lots of rope-like edges. The same display at 2048x1536 resolution was nearly perfect with zero rope-like edges and extremely crisp detail with no perceptible flicker on any zooms.

The moral to the story is that we need to make our slideshows for our intended audience and for the display resolution we intend them to be shown on. If the final output is high resolution the choose an original size suitable for this venue. If the final output is lower resolution or DVD, then likewise.

Best regards,

Lin

Just testing a new possible effect - 60 seconds - small executable - let me know what you think....

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/storm.zip

Lin

Interesting effect, Lin! :)

After I noticed what was happening (very subtle - nice effect) I was waiting for the main image to darken, the "sun" to go behind the clouds, the sky to get grayer, etc. and then see the results of all the snow reflected on the silo, barn, etc.

I don't want much! B)

Maybe in the next release?

Hi Lin,

I have to agree with you... Just in my limited experience with this release, it seems very easy to overkill. I'm not criticizing Lin on this effort, or any particular show. Even in release 4, for example, if you used every possible transition effect in a slide show, I think I would be distracted by the effects and miss the pictures. Adding all the new things in Release 5 makes it even more prone to overkill, but as you have said, if used artistically, it's brilliant. Moderation in all things, I suppose...

Interesting effect, Lin! :)

After I noticed what was happening (very subtle - nice effect) I was waiting for the main image to darken, the "sun" to go behind the clouds, the sky to get grayer, etc. and then see the results of all the snow reflected on the silo, barn, etc.

I don't want much! B)

Maybe in the next release?

LOL - try it once again and watch all the way through.... That is download the new version - same link:

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

===========

Just playing around, but the thunder, lightning and clouds found their way into it too - if you get a chance take another look - LOL (download the original link again)..

Lin

sly old fox you are:)

great sound effects as well

ken

Hi Ken,

Yep, we kids just have to play - LOL

Best regards,

Lin

We don't very often get thunder and lightning with our snow-storms up here - must be different in Colorado. B)

Unfortunately we do - and lots of it. Lightning in Colorado ranks only second to Florida for human deaths. On nearly any mountain peak in the afternoons climbers must be off before the early afternoon because of lightning danger. We have 54 peaks 14,000 feet and over with sudden snow storms throughout much of the year. It can be sunny and beautiful then fifteen minutes later blizzards with white-outs, hail the size of half-dollars, heavy lightning and all be gone in an hour. Snow and lightning are very common together in the high country.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin

cant see any significant change from ver 2 yet the exe is +- 1/2 mb larger in ver3

ken

Hi Ken,

Additional lightning - PNG

Best regards,

Lin

good crack the last one

now to do it right -- line up the lightning to hit the windmill and have the ol 'mill disappear

have it hit barn and have livestock run out :)

ken

LOL - that could be done - at least the windmill part - but probably not without some good images of fire and ashes smoking. The animals running out ot the barn - that would require Igor to drop in video capabilities which could happen - stranger things have. Actually I did add some blowing snow and will probably quit and go on to something else to try and create like rain..... LOL

Lin