WnSoft Forums

P2Exe and 64-bit operating systems

Carol Steele

I am planning to move to a 64-bit OS (XP Pro x64 - unfortunately the Vista beta program has now ended) when I build my new system next week. Will P2Exe work in this OS?? If it does are there any problems I need to be aware of??

For those who are interested in these things, here is the spec of the new system:

1 x Intel Conroe Core Duo 2.67Ghtz CPU

1 x Asus P5B Deluxe (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

1 x Thermaltake Shark case

1 x Thermaltake 500W PSU

2 x Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C5 TwinX (4Gb Total)

1 x EVGA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB GDDR3 HDTV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

2 x Western Digital Raptor 74GB WD740ADFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache

4 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB ST3320620AS SATA-II 16MB Cache

2x CD-078-SA Samsung SH-S182D 18x18 DVD±RW ReWriter (Black)

1 x Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse

1 x Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Keyboard

1 x Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

1 x Netgear WGT624 108Mbps Wireless Firewall Router

1 x Netgear WG111T 108Mbps Wireless USB2.0 Adapter

+ a few other bits and pieces

Any comments gratefully received - especially with respect to the video card. Anybody recommend something different?? Are the ATI cards rated better or worse than nVidia cards??

Thanks

Perfect PC!

But do you really need 6 hard discs? Probably it better install one-two newest 700 GB Seagate.

We tested PicturesToExe v4.48 and v5.00 beta under Windows XP 64 bit, Windows Vista 32 bit beta 2 and Windows Vista 64 bit beta 2.

PicturesToExe works fine there and created slide shows, too.

Perfect PC!

But do you really need 6 hard discs? Probably it better install one-two newest 700 GB Seagate.

We tested PicturesToExe v4.48 and v5.00 beta under Windows XP 64 bit, Windows Vista 32 bit beta 2 and Windows Vista 64 bit beta 2.

PicturesToExe works fine there and created slide shows, too.

Thanks Igor.

As a pro photographer I am often shooting over 2000 raw images per week, especially towards the height of the wedding season - one of the Seagate disks is for use in a removeable drive, the other two are for wedding images and one for studio work. The two small exceedingly fast Raptors are for the Operating System, a multitude of programs (including P2Exe :D ), the Windows Page File and Photoshop's Scratch disk. I also like to keep all my data well away from the program files and op sys files. These latter files are the ones most frequently accessed and are therefore best suited to be on the Raptors - and it is these drives which are likely to go bad first because of their constant use. I don't mind re-installing all my programs/OS should this happen, but my image data is very precious to me and so I put it onto drives which do not have as much use.

Anyway, it makes sense to me :rolleyes:

Vista beta 2 closed but Beta RC1 is due out in September. You can sign up for it at:

http://microsoft.order-6.com/RC1_Registration/

Thanks, I'll go investigate

.........You can sign up for it at:

Unfortunately it would appear that you can only register if you are a US/Canadian resident, it throws out any attempts to register if you live elsewhere. I have sent them an email querying this - hopefully I will get a response quickly.

Carol,

This is my personal opinion ~ I would not anticipate an early release of 'MS.Vista X64' within the E.C nor other countries, such as (Japan,China,Middle East,etc) until Microsoft are quite satisfied with 'Patent & Copyright Licences' and Agreements against possible 'Anti-Monopoly Litigation' against them. Also there are other minor Technical Details yet to be sorted. Quite honestly I can't blame them being cautious, but I'm sure the 'Spin-Doctors' will publish other reasons !

Brian.Conflow.

Carol,

This is my personal opinion ~ I would not anticipate an early release of 'MS.Vista X64' within the E.C nor other countries, such as (Japan,China,Middle East,etc) until Microsoft are quite satisfied with 'Patent & Copyright Licences' ............

Wasn't it in the US that MS was first taken to court over Anti-Monopoly laws??? Doesn't seem to have affected their desire to introduce new software there :blink:

Carol,

That's quite true about the USA Monopoly Case ~ However in Europe, the 'E.C Parliment.in Brussels' went

even further than that, let me explain:-

Lets assume that you a a very large Corporation based in Europe like:- Siemens, Mercedes, Aerospatiale, Deutsche Bahn etc; and you are investing Millions in developing 'Engineering Systems' or 'Management Systems' or 'Aircraft Navigation Systems' and 'Public-Health Systems' including things like GPS and these are all based on Windows Operating Systems ~ In order for you to succeed with your Development you would need 'Microsoft-Source Code' to get things up and running, so thats O.K. Microsoft supplied that.

But then it transpired there was a vast amount of 'Hidden-Code' which they did not divulge although they had signed Contracts with those Principals to make available...All that was necessary to make those 'Investment Developments' work. So in effect they were and still are in breach of Contract(s) and we European Taxpayers and Governments and Corporations had coughed up the money under various Business & Regional Development Scheme's...there is an awful lot more to it than that !!! ...and it's on-going.

Need I say more, its a matter of Public Records, and in my opinion it certainly impinges on the early availibility of 'Vista X-64' in Europe.

Hope that gives you the general idea and why I'm not too hopeful about an early 'Vista Launch' in Europe.

Time will tell, things can happen in the meanwhile, and I hope they do for all concerned, including Microsoft.

Brian.Conflow.