WnSoft Forums

Resolution explanation

LumenLux

Maybe difficulty of finding things in this forum actually keeps it more alive?

On numerous occasions, users have posted a link to a very good article about resolution, file size, dpi, etc. The explanation includes some pictures of a hot-air balloon. I know some of you will know what I am looking for. I want to refer a friend to this information but I can not find it by searching our forum archives. Will someone please post again where to find this excellent information?

Thanks, Marian, scantips.com is a very useful site, and Wayne Fulton is extremely clear in his explanations. But maybe a little talk I had posted some time ago may be useful, even if very short and simple.

Here it is:

DPI are print related only, and don't affect AT ALL images on screen. Do you want a final proof? Take a little image, open it in Irfanview (I mention this software because I think almost all have it), and set View > Original size. Then open Image > Information: you'll probably see in DPI box 150 x 150, 72 x 72, or 300 x 300.

Now in the same DPI box set 10 x 10 DPI and press "Set" button, "OK". Save and exit.

If you will open again this picture and you'll look at it ("Original size" again), you'll see that image hasn't changed at all.

Thank you also Guido. Your precise little help also did not get "hit" when I tried the "search" feature of this forum software. Which leads to a new thought: Is there an independent utility that a forum participant could use to make a better search of forum messages on the host server?

And a related subject: What methods to forum members find quickest and retrievable to save specific topics of interest for future reference on their own pc?

Robert, i have just set up a folder witth sc's to member's sites, specific threads etc -- i started this a while back using the "cottage" as the start point and then have made sub folders inside with folders for specific members and just now one for specific threads -- have placed it in the Favourites folder with a specific s/c on the desk top c/w with a custom icon of Bill's "cottage" -- now i can send a s/c to a thread to the desktop -- rename it for the thread and put it to the cottage folder/and the winsoft thread folder. Sounds like a lot of work but it works.

will send you the cottage icon if you wish

ken

Excellent idea, Ken! But as to most interesting posts, I prefer to copy & paste them in Notepad and save as txt files in a "PTE Forum" folder. If I did the same for the "old" forum...

Anyhow, your work is extremely useful, not only to you but to all of us too! Thanks!