WnSoft Forums

PicturesToExe v5.00 beta #6

Igor

I use ULead Movie Factory v4 which accepts the .ptev file created by PTEv5.5 to make my DVDs. However, I have just upgraded Movie Factory to v5 Plus and now I get "File format mismatch" when trying to use the .ptev file created by PTE. Would it be possible for Ivan to sort this out with Ulead? I have in the meantime emailed ULead saying what is the point of paying for an upgrade if the latest version will not accept file format that v4 will use. Cheers, Derek

Igor,

Just back from a wonderful holiday in the 'Cotswolds' in England, with Maureen & Robert, Alan & Phil (from Ireland), and Ian & Elaine, and spent some time with many other avid AV'ers at the RPS "International" competition in Cirencester. We watched many excellent productions at the conference, many of which I am sure were created with PTE.

One of the first things I did upon arriving home was to download and try the new PTE Beta 6.

Everything seems to function well as before. However, I received the old "memory leakage" error message twice in a row (see below) when I exited from "Preview". As far as I know, there were no other programs working in the background.

Just thought you might like to know.

I tried it on my work computer (amd64 with ati radeon xpress 200/shared memory 400Mhz DAC) and it runs smooth. I created a new pte show with 1280x960 images to see if that would run smooth on fx5200, but now it hesitates slightly at 50% zoom instead of 80%. Maybe related to the amount of card memory. Strange.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Sometimes I have detected a slight hesitation in pans and zooms at the point where a new transition starts. Try moving the end-point of the zoom on the O/A timeline to start after the end of the transition to that slide, and to end before the beginning of the transition to the next slide, to see if that makes a difference. I haven't noticed any change to the "zoom" action with the new beta, myself, but I haven't tested it very thoroughly yet.

post-215-1159887983_thumb.jpg

post-215-1159888011_thumb.jpg

Added Numbers to AVI Filenames

I did so because some DVD authoring products (for example, Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2) caches converted MPEG2 file and even doesn't look that we want to convert modified AVI file with same filename.

I understand now what you are talking about. If you make a revision and use the same name, then Ulead will use the previously encoded MPEG2 file. Although it's admirable that you are making efforts to compensate for other software's shortcomings, these types of problems could also be addressed in program notes, README or help files. The way I see it, creating an odd and unexpected behavior in P2E (changing the filename after presenting the user with a Save As dialog) in order to correct for an odd and unexpected behavior in a 3rd party program isn't solving the problem of having an odd and expected behavior. It just moves it from one to the next (and unfairly to P2E).

I know the hopes are that the Deluxe version with DVD Authoring software will solve most the issues with creating DVD slideshow movies, but I'm afraid the questions will just shift from P2E to why doesn't the software work with this burner, these drivers, this OS, play on that DVD player, etc. There are reasons outside the software programmer's control that this field (DVD movie creation) is filled with quality issues. But the WnSoft team has surprised me before, so hopes are still high!

Steve

Tucson, AZ USA

Interlaced vs. Progressive

PicturesToExe renders video in Progressive or Interlaced formats.

- If your slide show doesn't have any animation, only static slides and Fade effects - set Progressive format.

- If you have fast Pan effects, Circle, Curling of page - set Interlaced format for more smooth animation.

My experience doesn't agree with this. For motion, the biggest factors are Smart Anti-Flicker filter on (checked) with Progressive Video selected. If the zoom is straight in or out, there is not much, possibly no difference between Interlace or Progressive on TV screen. There is a large difference when zoom is combined with diagonal pans, particularly with masks like the white frame or fast pans. The next biggest factor I have experienced is the resolution of the photo files not being too far from the resolution of the target player/video standard.

CAVEAT:

That said, I'm producing DVDs for a standard DVD player connected to a standard TV set using the MPEG2 encoder included in Ulead Moviefactory 2se. The video files created on the DVD are interlaced as required by the DVD standard no matter what the setting is in P2E. I'm not sure why the Progressive setting results in a better DVD, except there may be a conflict between the way the interlace video is output by P2E and how the Moviefactory encoder creates the interlaced video file that goes on the DVD (could be a field order conflict).

Other DVD authoring/MPEG2 encoding software and different end targets (such as TVs that can show progressive input, HDTVs, etc) may require different parameters for optimum quality. Just wanted to point out your suggestions didn't produce the best output for the hardware I have and there probably isn't a general way to state which parameter settings create the best viewing experience. And this is just for one setup (and not the issue of what settings should be used to best cover the range of hardware of many customers).

As I mentioned in the post above, the creation of DVD movies is complex involving a multitude of hardware and software parameters, as well as being in the midst of a standards change to higher definitions. The Deluxe version should be a big step forward by eliminating the chance of mixups between two programs made by different companies, but I hope it doesn't delay the release of the final P2E Version 5. Still waiting for the text comments and giving feedback on the implementation.

Steve

Tucson, AZ USA

Proprietary (Temporary) AVI File Not Deleted

Small error, but when the CANCEL button is pressed before the proprietary AVI file is completed, the file is not deleted.

Steve

Tucson, AZ USA

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

does anyone notes that the presentation loops endless even if you say the presentation has to stop at the last picture

Regards,

Kurt

Now that you mention it, I think I did see that in 5B5. I haven't loaded 5B6 yet. It could be something that Igor just hasn't re-installed yet in the new release, but it's worth mentioning! :)

Hello,

does anyone notes that the presentation loops endless even if you say the presentation has to stop at the last picture

Regards,

Kurt

Hi, Kurt,

Welcome to the Forum!

My PTE v.5, beta 6 stays on the last slide when I check this option, at least in preview mode. If you are using music, try removing it to see if that changes anything.